Sign in to follow this  
Clint

Rotation Policy

Why are Wes and Maddison rested for vital league matches against quality opposition but have now been selected to play two cup matches against lower league opposition? Seems a bizarre rotation policy!

I agree. I will be annoyed if either of them don''t play on Saturday because they''ve played tonight. We''ve got an international break after Millwall so hopefully they can rest after that

We certainly looked much better going forwards when Wes came on, on Saturday.  I could understand it being necessary to rest him after playing on the Wednesday, but why not play Maddison on Saturday - if Maddison was injured, how can he start tonight ?  I''m really struggling with this one.

If we start on Saturday with 4-5-1 and Naismith/Vrancic behind the striker, I''ll definitely be unhappy with that decision-making.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]So if we play a weak team for a cup game the manager gets slated and if he plays a strong team he gets slated, interesting[/quote]

Mostly if we play a lot of second string players for this sort of game, people have accepted it as par for the course eg last year we played lots of players from the reserves and I don''t remember people having a problem with that.

The problem is that Wes and Maddison are vital to our attacking midfield options , and we all know that at Wes''s age, you shouldn''t expect him to start a Saturday game after starting in mid-week.  We played them both last Wednesday, then neither of them started on Saturday, leaving us looking pretty rubbish going forward against Villa (Josh aside) until Wes was brought on as sub.  So it''s reasonable to question the decision to start both of them again for a marginal cup game, with a vital league game following on Saturday.

Exactly, it''s less about who plays in the cup and more about who then can''t play in the league because of it.

I really think that the intention is to give the message to the players that every match is important and that every player has to expect to be involved. It''s a good pyschology - no-one is favoured above anyone else - it is a collective effort from the whole squad, whatever the occasion. 

Oh LDC you do talk utter bo!!ocks.

Anyway No one would''ve slated Farke for resting players tonight. Not like we are going to win the cup. We conceded 4 goals to the side bottom of the league just imagine what we would be like if we came up against decent sides.

[quote user="Move Klose"]Oh LDC you do talk utter bo!!ocks.

Anyway No one would''ve slated Farke for resting players tonight. Not like we are going to win the cup. We conceded 4 goals to the side bottom of the league just imagine what we would be like if we came up against decent sides.[/quote]You should try to see it from the coach''s point of view.  He wants the whole squad to be together as a group and has said so, not giving out messages that some are more important than others. And why shouldn''t we win the cup????

Mk out of interest where do think Villa with finish? I think they''ll be playoffs and I pay no attention to a league table until 10 games, but maybe that''s me.

Rotation?

On paper it is beginning to make little sense to me. AN''s strange tinkering used to give me the willies but what''s changed?

The defense is giving me even more of the willies. Six games played and we''ve conceded the first goal, including twice to lower league outfits. It usually comes early in the game and from then on it''s CATCH-UP, whereby tactics become somewhat blurred.

What''s changed?

Seriously I am desperate to be more positive about things but it''s really getting quite difficult as high hopes seem to be methodically eroded.

Personally I do not understand this must rest the players syndrome not only by coaches but by supporters.
Tonight is our sixth game of the season. Sixth. You can''t count pre season, they are for training to get fit enough to play matches.
Barring injuries, supsensions and maybe loss of form should be the only reason why there should be need for change, Not tiredness.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Amazing none of the other managers have had the same flash of inspiration as you LDC[/quote][:D] Not rocket science really, if you believe that psychology is important - and Farke is a deep thinker.AN as good as said he didn''t hold much truck with psychology....maybe he would have done better if he had.Hughton struggled with it too, unable (by all accounts) to keep a squad all playing for each other. Keeping ALL the players interested is a tricky business - hopefully Farke has the wherewithal to do that - and if so, that might just help us do well in cup competitions too, this season.  

Maybe he''s just using these early games to properly find out more about his players. Experimenting, finding strengths and weaknesses, best positions etc.

[quote user="Herman"]Maybe he''s just using these early games to properly find out more about his players. Experimenting, finding strengths and weaknesses, best positions etc.[/quote]Yes, that makes sense of course, but it''s a balancing act - resting those that need the break, trying out new things - and keeping everyone involved. 

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Personally I do not understand this must rest the players syndrome not only by coaches but by supporters.

Tonight is our sixth game of the season. Sixth. You can''t count pre season, they are for training to get fit enough to play matches.

Barring injuries, supsensions and maybe loss of form should be the only reason why there should be need for change, Not tiredness.

[/quote]

In that case why didn''t he start Wes on Saturday.  He was clearly needed.

I can see the argument for a player of Maddison''s age, that he should be able to start a Saturday game after starting mid-week unless he''s had a knock.  But he did miss Saturday, presumably due to a knock, so I question having him start a cup game like this.

The issue for me is that Wes and/or Maddison are our key creative midfield players at the moment and it worries me if we don''t have at least one in the starting lineup - as happened on Saturday.

Of course players need rests, even 6 games into a season. You can''t discount pre-season games as players still have to exert physical energy in those games - just because they aren''t competitive doesn''t mean they don''t have a toll on the body.

You can see from the sheer number of injuries Norwich have at the moment that players are probably being over worked. All these double sessions and training on the same day as a game.

I know this is how things are done in Germany, but their leagues have 18 teams, 1 cup competition and a winter break. In the game versus Villa several players looked tired at the start of the game - which I find very worrying.

I''m generally a fan of rotating players and formations, with teams doing such in-depth analysis of opposing teams these days sticking with a consistent formation and starting XI will soon allow weaknesses to be found and exploited.

I was surprised to see Pinto and Wes playing last night with one coming back from injury and the other needing more careful management it seemed like a risk to me. I get that Farke wants to do well in the cup, but it just seems like an unneeded additional burden on the already reduced number of players at Norwich''s disposal.

Agree about Wes, seems strange that he needed a rest for Villa but has started the 2 cup games. I would have rather seen him start Villa and be rested last night so he is again fresh for Millwall. If he is deemed too tired for Millwall because he played last night then that would raise fair questions in my opinion

With regards to Pinto, I guess its all about minutes on the pitch to get him back to full match fitness, which was obviously knocked back against QPR

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"] All these double sessions and training on the same day as a game.

I know this is how things are done in Germany, but their leagues have 18 teams, 1 cup competition and a winter break. In the game versus Villa several players looked tired at the start of the game - which I find very worrying. [/quote]

Wagner at Huddersfield uses double training too and it doesn''t seem to have affected them, but it does show that squad rotation is going to be very important.  As for Wes starting in the cup and not at Villa, he did play midweek against QPR so logically rested from a start on the Saturday.  I just think it shows that Farke is totally serious about cup games and that we can expect total commitment to these matches.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Wes should not be rested for important league games. Instead he should be rested for the games in the cup competition we''re not gonna win.[/quote]

Is it possible to say which games we''re not going to win? [:^)] 

The problem is we do not know the state of players behind the scenes. Wes was clearly carrying an injury over pre-season, is that a knock-on as to why he didn''t start the league game but was deemed fit to start last night?

The same reason both Jerome and Oliveira were missing last night as we know full well they are both not fully fit.

It''s easy to judge, but maybe Farke still offered the best full strength side he could without fielding any players carrying injuries? Martin for example, we know he''s got an injury issue but he still played the full 90