Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Charlton - Player Ratings

What ratings would others who were at the game give?
McGovern - 5.5 : Doesn''t help that I seriously don''t rate the fella but he had so little to do in this match yet seemed unconfident and flapped at anything near him.
Pinto - 7 : Got forward well, couple misplaced passes but lovely deep cross for our first goal where Watkins laid it off to Murphy.
Martin - 6.5 : Didn''t do anything wrong. Couple of good balls from defence too to set us up on the attack.
Franke - 6 : Again, didn''t do much wrong although did get caught on the ball a couple of times. Always seems to keen to want to let the ball bounce before defending it which is a bit concerning.
Stiepermann - 7 : Thought he looked good technically on the ball but also as the game wore on got stuck in a bit, won a few challenges and took a few knocks in the process. Always tried to get forward to support too.
Tettey - 7.5 : On his showing in this match, should still be in and around our first 11. Won the ball back for us countless times, read the game well but also ran with the ball and set up attacks for us too.
Hoolahan - 8 : This guy is 35 and still looks a class above anyone else on the pitch technically. Charlton couldn''t handle him.
Maddison - 6 : Thought he struggled a bit. Lost the ball a few times in the opening minutes wanting too much time and some misplaced passes put pressure on him. Improved in the second without being influential.
Naismith - 6 : Worked hard, got himself into good positions but with a large portion of fans seemingly against him I get the impression he''s trying a bit too hard and things aren''t coming off for him. His movement and runs opened up two good opportunities where instead of shooting he desperately looked (unnecessarily) for a teammate. Which didn''t work, by the way.
Murphy - 8.5 (MOTM) : Constant threat. Pace, change of direction and ability on the ball unquestionable. Also good to see him cover for Stiepermann, run back into the LB position and win the ball with a sliding tackle, and run back up the other end.
Watkins - 7 : Thought he played the lone striker role well. Held the ball up and laid off all night, although did struggle to win much in the air. However, he also makes very good runs in between the lines which we didn''t take full advantage of.
Trybull came on and looked good, Wildshut came on and can simply glide past players like they''re not even there, he just needs to learn how to shoot. Zimmerman came on but had little to do.

I couldn''t make the game last night, but everyone I have spoken to has been raving about how good Tettey looked last night. I guess it would be harsh to drop Reed for the next game though.

Wes and Murphy should be playing every week if possible. As much as I''d love Maddison to be the new Wes, clearly Wes is still our best midfielder by quite some distance.

Murphy just needs to play every week, and he''s improving as he does so. Another couple of goals to add to his confidence and I''m sure we''ve yet to see the best from this lad.

As for Trybull and Wildschut, good to see them get an outing. Trybull will always be back-up but it''s always good to have a strong bench as it''s a long season. Wildschut has always been an odd signing, clearly has bags of talent though so hopefully we can get him to perform as well as Murphy on the other flank!

Thanks for the report. Very fair from what I could judge listening to the audio stream. Good as well to have a trustworthily objective view on Naismith rather than the usual mind-made-up rubbishing. 

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Did Stiepermann look like he could be better at LB/LWB than Husband in the long term?

(...appreciate its only 1 cup game)[/quote]
I think Husband will be OK in the long term to be honest but yes Steipermann played well. He''s certainly technically good - you can see that irrespective of who the opposition is. He seemed to get more into the physical side as the game wore on - probably getting used to the English game in that respect but fingers crossed!

Thx for these, always useful for those of us who are long distance City fans.

The pink''un report suggested that they had a couple of free chances mid way through the second half- how did the CBs deal with crosses and marking generally? Sounds like they were better protected with Tettey there, but did they look more solid last night?

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Thanks for the report. Very fair from what I could judge listening to the audio stream. Good as well to have a trustworthily objective view on Naismith rather than the usual mind-made-up rubbishing. [/quote]
He''s an intelligent footballer, he does make space for himself and others. Unfortunately thing''s aren''t working for him at the moment and I think the first goal came from him trying to win a foul, wasn''t given and the Charlton lad ended up clean through and scored. He also gave the ball away with some poor pass choices but it''s clear it''s currently a lack of confidence which isn''t helped by, for example, when he didn''t shoot from the edge of the area the groans from the crowd were the loudest the fans had been all night.

I think Naismith is a bit of a conman. I''m not buying this working hard business. I would say he always looks like he''s working hard. He looks like he''s passionate and fighting hard for the team. In my opinion he lazily moves around waving arms, moaning, sulking and arguing rather than digging in with the team. I suggest that fans making their minds up he is rubbish has come about in the fashion of him playing rubbish and fans that pay their money to watch him make up their minds that he deserves that label. If in fact he is trying too hard now cos fans are against him and that is what is making him rubbish why was he just as bad when the fans were seemingly for him.

[quote user="The gut"]I think Naismith is a bit of a conman. I''m not buying this working hard business. I would say he always looks like he''s working hard. He looks like he''s passionate and fighting hard for the team. In my opinion he lazily moves around waving arms, moaning, sulking and arguing rather than digging in with the team. I suggest that fans making their minds up he is rubbish has come about in the fashion of him playing rubbish and fans that pay their money to watch him make up their minds that he deserves that label. If in fact he is trying too hard now cos fans are against him and that is what is making him rubbish why was he just as bad when the fans were seemingly for him.[/quote]Have you ever asked yourself how likely it is that Naismith suddenly underwent a complete personality change once he put on a Norwich shirt? Have you bothered to find out anything about him, to see whether your impressions, formed on nothing more than what you think you witness on the pitch, bear even a remote resemblance to the real Naismith? Do you really think that "fans that pay their money" are entitled to peddle any obnoxious nonsense irrespective of whether it bears any relationship to truth?

I think Naismith should be used as a striker. keep him up top to harry and harass defenders. Keep him away from midfield.

Possibly up top with Jerome or Olive in a 4-4-2. He'' being asked to play a role he''s never done before. And at 30 years old he isn''t about to start learning new positions effectively.

Haha keep your shirt on westie. Are you suggesting I should do a bit of of retrospective scouting on our friend steven? What would be the point in that?

My impressions formed on what I think I witness on the pitch tends to be my preferred method of rating players in the Norwich team. Has worked very well for me over the years. I have found that tends to reveal the truth of how they perform for us. One day when perhaps I can no longer walk I might base my information on what the canary callers think or trust Robbie Butler''s infinite football wisdom. In the meantime I do think that fans that pay their money to watch these players have a right to say what they see. Kind of the basis on which being a supporter has been founded on for a good few years.

Now I''d more often than not fall into the happy clapper group, looking for positives in the team and the players themselves. There is usually a good reason if I can''t find something positive to say about a player. Now whether I know the real Naismith or not is a bit irrelevant, because it''s the one that has been playing for us for the last 18 months that I think is an utter waste of wages, not to mention any fee. Possibly not even worth the cost of the lettering on his shirt.

I can only go on what I saw from Naismith during the Sunderland game. I don''t think he worked very hard, and by the time it got to an hour into the game, he stopped running, and if the pass wasn''t to his feet he would complain. Whether it was that he was tired or lack of confidence and gave up, I don''t know. My guess is that I was not the only one who noticed it, as he was then subbed.

I wonder if it is because at teams like Everton the quality of passing is better and more accurate, and he has found it difficult to adjust to passes that are a yard or two to the side of where he expects it.