Sign in to follow this  
Green and Yellow fellow

Ben Godfrey Loan

To Shrewsbury - talks "in advanced stage", according to Paddy Davitt on Twitter.

I''ve always thought he looked like a handy player, had a lot of game time in pre-season too under Farke. I understand that he''s generally lacked competitive football experience, but whenever he''s played for us he''s never done a bad job imo.

Thoughts?

If it is true, they will miss his Sister Dolly''s Upside Down Cakes.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Another one destined to not make the mark[/quote]He''s just signed a new four year deal.......Shrewsbury already have Carlton Morris and Ebou Adams there, and are 4th in League One, having won all three of their games so far.If anyone''s in the last chance saloon it''s Adams, needs to impress to get his contract extended beyond the end of this season.

Full of potential...needs games like the Murphy''s and Maddison got. Also needs to find his best position. There''s no point him sitting on the bench or playing u23''s football if he can play at a good club in league one! It''s interesting that McGeehan was sold by Norwich to get games for Luton and he now has a chance for Barnsley in the Championship...

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]No cover at RB so seems a bizarre thing to do?[/quote]I would be surprised if we loan Godfrey out and don''t bring in another RB as cover, maybe a young Prem loanee?

Hoola Han Solo wrote the following post at 23/08/2017 6:54 PM:

Another one destined to not make the mark

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hoola, why are you always so negative about our younger players?

You''ve haven''t been quite so scathing of Josh lately!

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Rogue Baboon"]No cover at RB so seems a bizarre thing to do?[/quote]I would be surprised if we loan Godfrey out and don''t bring in another RB as cover, maybe a young Prem loanee?[/quote]There was an interesting interview with Harry Redknapp on Football Focus, who stated that a 19 year old Premiership loanee would cost him £12,500 a week in wages (maybe referring to Bielik) and there was a clause in the contract that the wages would double if he wasn''t played.Clarke-Salter was already shot down because we couldn''t guarantee him match time.

Hadn''t seen that Snowy, interesting stuff. I would''ve thought Godfrey would''ve been ideal cover, playing mostly for the U23s but also in cup matches and to cover injuries, suspensions and loss of form. It would be strange to loan him out, unless there''s someone else in the youth setup Farke rates highly enough to give that role... or he''s just content to hammer square pegs into round holes to make it work (Wildschut, Stiepermann etc.).

Agreed DDD, seems very versatile and used to prefer being a CM not a defender but has ended up playing all over the back four. I''ve no issue loaning out players to get game time if we can''t give him it here, will help him develop

Currently he isn''t going to get on our bench when better players are fit. Massively valuable first-team games available out on loan.

Jacob Murphy did well at Coventry for a season in Lg1, did well in a bad season for us at Champ level then left for £12 million quid. These days, it doesn''t take much to become a multi-million pound English youngster. Go on, Ben!

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]He s still only 19, so not such bad news. Hope he does make it to our 1st team, have liked what have seen from so far.[/quote]

Me too LC not sure its the right thing for us unless DF is lining up more experienced cover for RB. Saw him at Leeds in cup last year at RB thought he looked decent. Game time will be good for him

Why is everyone obsessed with another RB? Godfrey isn''t even a right back, he''s a midfielder!

We have Pinto as our odds on first choice when fit, and Martin as reserve. We don''t need anyone else there unless we plan to replace Pinto...

As for Tettey, we have Reed and Trybull too so even if he does go we''ve got backup. I doubt he''ll be going be anywhere though.

I go to as many U-23s as possible, I like seeing the younger players and it''s a cheap way of getting to go to CR under the floodlights.

I can''t emphasise enough though how different it is from senior football, there''s absolutely no physical contact, very few high balls and no grappling when there is one, teams never throw everything forward or defend on their penalty box, set pieces are an afterthought, there''s no pressure on a striker to take a chance, tactical fouls are non existent, challenges are half hearted etc

Godfrey is miles too good for that and he simply isn''t going to get much game time here with the injured players returning. He''s playing at the level Maddison and Jacob were at 19 and is going to be class just like them, but he''ll need first team games to get to that level so this is a good loan. Their manager is very good supposedly as well, probably why Webber is sending our young players there.

Surprised he has gone out on loan, but hopefully this means Norwich have a defender lined up. Otherwise the squad is looking very thin in that area.

Also strange as Ben rocking up at Shrewsbury and being touted as a midfielder by the manager seems to put fellow Norwich player Ebou Adam''s place at threat.

Was good to see Neil Adams get name checked in Paul Hurst''s quotes though.

Bethnal Yellow and Green wrote the following post at 24/08/2017 2:39 PM:

Was good to see Neil Adams get name checked in Paul Hurst''s quotes though.

Agree BY&G, was also nice to see same NA, in the directors box for the Charlton match. Not sure if he usually does, as I cannot see from my usual seat with the so called river end riff raff!

I''m not concerned about the RB position - Pinto with RM at cover is adequate.

At CB we have Franke/Zimmerman with Klose injured and RM obviously still can feature here too.  I guess as we get closer to the end of the transfer window, it''s looking like Klose will be staying.  But I''m not keen on having RM as cover for both RB and CB positions, so I''d like another CB in.  I think you need four solid CBs due to the risk of injuries/suspensions at that position.

[quote user="Horse Renoir"]I go to as many U-23s as possible, I like seeing the younger players and it''s a cheap way of getting to go to CR under the floodlights. I can''t emphasise enough though how different it is from senior football, there''s absolutely no physical contact, very few high balls and no grappling when there is one, teams never throw everything forward or defend on their penalty box, set pieces are an afterthought, there''s no pressure on a striker to take a chance, tactical fouls are non existent, challenges are half hearted etc Godfrey is miles too good for that and he simply isn''t going to get much game time here with the injured players returning. He''s playing at the level Maddison and Jacob were at 19 and is going to be class just like them, but he''ll need first team games to get to that level so this is a good loan. Their manager is very good supposedly as well, probably why Webber is sending our young players there.[/quote]

Thanks HR, I never go to U23 football so it''s really useful to hear about it.  Makes sense of this move. 

Paddy Davitt tweeted this yest -

Paddy Davitt‏Verified account @paddyjdavitt 21h21 hours

Paddy Davitt Retweeted John Wilson

DF consistently saying happy with options top end. Think they would like to do something CB, if possible

I think they must be confident of getting another defender in, bearing in mind Lewis is out until the new year. Toffolo is an unknown quantity in the championship. I get the feeling Farke sees Russ Martin as right back cover. The new centrebacks are pretty tall and strong in stature (altho need to time to acclimatize). That seems to be the type of player he wants in this league.