Sign in to follow this  
Greavsy

Nelson in Portugal squad

Take a look at @NorwichCityFC''s Tweet: https://twitter.com/NorwichCityFC/status/900681091069161473?s=09

Good news for NO,

''that''s him sold then''exactly what I was thinking when after he played against Villa (came on as sub) and Farke said he was carring an injury, why on the bench.Now selected for Portugal, club doctor got something wrong.I agree that he may be off. Must be a high earner or the bad apple in the team.

Or maybe he was not in a way to start but could be risked for 25 minutes. Perhaps that injury hasn''t completely cleared up hence him being a doubt for the weekend. More recovery time would have passed before the Portugal games, he''s obviously not going to reject playing for his country.I don''t think he''s going at all.Hopefully.

Farke''s full quote about Nelson''s injury is more detailed than you say Dibbler.

"Then this morning Nelson had big problems with his groin. We thought he would be out but the physios worked with him and after a pool session he felt much better. We felt if it was necessary that we couldn’t do without him we would bring him and maybe in the last few minutes if we needed him for a result we could bring him on and take the risk. He scored, had a good appearance and hopefully no bad reaction. It was a difficult situation today but we have to handle it."

Farke has said that Nelson might be available for Millwall, so he is close to a return, meaning he could probably make on the international games. I suspect though that he is likely to be 3rd choice striker for Portugal and they are calling him up to have a look at him and see if he is someone they want for international games later in the season. So it isn''t hugely important for them if he is 100% fit or not.

Personally I felt the call up was a boost for Norwich. If Nelson sees that he can get back into the Portugal squad while at Norwich then he could risk that moving to another club right now.

With only a week left in the transfer window I can''t see Norwich accepting a bid for Nelson now. Unless it was really silly money.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Farke''s full quote about Nelson''s injury is more detailed than you say Dibbler.

"Then this morning Nelson had big problems with his groin. We thought he would be out but the physios worked with him and after a pool session he felt much better. We felt if it was necessary that we couldn’t do without him we would bring him and maybe in the last few minutes if we needed him for a result we could bring him on and take the risk. He scored, had a good appearance and hopefully no bad reaction. It was a difficult situation today but we have to handle it."

Farke has said that Nelson might be available for Millwall, so he is close to a return, meaning he could probably make on the international games. I suspect though that he is likely to be 3rd choice striker for Portugal and they are calling him up to have a look at him and see if he is someone they want for international games later in the season. So it isn''t hugely important for them if he is 100% fit or not.

Personally I felt the call up was a boost for Norwich. If Nelson sees that he can get back into the Portugal squad while at Norwich then he could risk that moving to another club right now.

With only a week left in the transfer window I can''t see Norwich accepting a bid for Nelson now. Unless it was really silly money.[/quote]
Good thought Beth [Y]

It''s interesting how some seem to have cherry-picked elements of this story to come up with the worst conclusion.

My immediate thought after reading Farke''s comment about Saturday was that it seemed perfectly reasonable; similarly here, my immediate thought was that if anything it made what was an unlikely transfer into one that was even less likely.

I expect a few days showing Christiano Ronaldo who''s the boss will give him a idea of where his talents are best utilised.CR will be forced into international retirement.[:D]

What price Nelson getting a serious injury whilst away?

Thinking further, what break is this international break really other than a potential leg break for half the first team? Should we feel grateful that we lose nearly a squad''s worth of players?

I make it definitely Gunn, Martin, Naismith, Oliveira. Also anticipate McGovern, Hoolahan, Watkins and Tettey when their nations respective squads are announced. That will hamper progress again. By my reckoning just leaves the Germans and the injured (I''m including Jerome in the latter). Perhaps Farke and the boys might as well go home for a break - there will be little to do at Colney.

Good for Nelson, he''s never really settled at a club before and he''s said it himself, so a good run of games and goals and a call up to Portugal, I''m sure he sees the bigger pitcher and is happy here

I expected the pant wetting comments. Nearly wrote a post about it when I saw this one (with only one comment in it) but then thought better of it because I wouldn''t have got to witness these reactions!For the record, I also think it''s a good thing for Norwich. Proves that you don''t need to be playing for a massive, somewhere in the world top table team to get into your international side (unless it''s England''s senior side, of course!)Our board has been very silly in the past, of that there is no doubt. But to let Nelson go, with no other player to replace him and barely any time to do so, would be suicide for a head coach, sporting director, board member or owner.I''d like to think that they might be a bit more intelligent than that.

Shefcanary

Tettey has retired from international football so he won''t be in the Norway squad.

Personally I would be delighted if Farke gave the players who aren''t with the countries a few days off over the break to let them recover a bit from the frantic opening weeks of the season.

International football is part and parcel of the game and in total there will be 7 international players from Norwich, should Watkins get the call up. Luckily training with international teams is generally pretty low intensity and largely tactical stuff and most of those called up won''t play 2 full games. I''d imagine only Martin and Naismith are at any real risk of that.

Good news, as international games increase a player''s value. (Remember Fer and his goal at the World Cup!)

As I already got my ticket for Hungary vs. Portugal, it would be interesting to see Nelson in action, although I rather expect him to be used as a sub against Feroer.

Good that Nelson is fit again, also good news we only have 6 players away on International duties, lets hope none get injured

Nelson, McGovern, Wes, Russ, Naismith, Gunn ( under 21''s )

[quote user="Diane"]Good that Nelson is fit again, also good news we only have 6 players away on International duties, lets hope none get injured

Nelson, McGovern, Wes, Russ, Naismith, Gunn ( under 21''s )[/quote]We don''t know if he is fit again yet, Diane?

Surely this is good news?

Nelson now knows that being at Norwich is good for his international career. Scoring goals for us getting him noticed rather than just sitting on the bench at a ''bigger'' club.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Shefcanary

Tettey has retired from international football so he won''t be in the Norway squad.

Personally I would be delighted if Farke gave the players who aren''t with the countries a few days off over the break to let them recover a bit from the frantic opening weeks of the season.

International football is part and parcel of the game and in total there will be 7 international players from Norwich, should Watkins get the call up. Luckily training with international teams is generally pretty low intensity and largely tactical stuff and most of those called up won''t play 2 full games. I''d imagine only Martin and Naismith are at any real risk of that.[/quote]

I''ve missed Tettey''s retirement Bethnal, thanks for the update. Also interested that you think a break for the boys would be a good thing.

I agree it is a good thing for Nelson to be picked by the way! I''m not a pantwetter, just being realistic about injuries.