Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Carling Cup Crowds

Once again the Norwich City faithful outdo every other club''s support. Let''s have the top five reasons why this is the case:

1.  The crowd was made up strictly of past shoemakers from Northampton and Norwich who thought they were attending an industry revitalisation convention.

2. There were many fans who did not want to chance missing a rare two game winning streak this season.

3. Dicky is becoming way too influential in intimidating posters if they have not witnessed a game in the flesh.

4. Worthy sent out 16,766 invitations containing his personal monogram, indicating his desire to display the depth of the Norwich squad by playing people out of position, three youngsters, a couple of cart horses and a reserve goalkeeper and still win the game.

5. There''s still nothing else to do in Norwich that is of any interest.

The reason the crowd was so big was because:

- We have good fans - unlike Wigan who managed 3,500.

- Northampton brought 1,000.

- We had just beaten Ipswich.

- The tickets were quite cheap.

- Lots of people can''t get tickets / can''t afford league games / can''t go on Saturday.

It would have easily been a sell out if a even half of the stay away season ticket holders had been there.  Our block was full of strangers!

Can''t quite see who was played out of position - Fleming was a right back for the first half of his career and signed for us as one.  He marked Giggs in an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley.

Ward needed a game as at any moment of any game he could be thrown in.  Davenport, Lisbie and Marney were injured/cup tied.  Everyone harps on about playing Hendo and Jarvis so he did.

[quote]many season ticket holders i know didn''t attend last night, making the attendance even more impressive.[/quote]

I am a season ticket holder but i decided to try a different part of the ground , so i am guessing that maybe several other season ticket holders did the same ,so explaining why maybe some fans thought that the season ticket holders didn''t turn up.

[quote]Once again the Norwich City faithful outdo every other club''s support. Let''s have the top five reasons why this is the case: 1. The crowd was made up strictly of past shoemakers from Northampton and...[/quote]

Lol!  I''m sure some of those reasons are legitimate YC!  I think the crowd we got last night against lower league oppo is awesome.  Palace only got 5k against Coventry.  I''m sure a lot had to do with the fact that we beat the scum and it was ''kids for a quid''.  Who cares though?  If it gets people through the turnstiles it''s fantastic. 

I was in the Barclay A block last night and seemed to be surrounded by Northampton fans! There were also hundreds of kids. Screaming kids.. But if they are supporting Norwich rather than Man United its always a good thing.

Just found this.  Absolutely stunning:

Norwich v Northampton 16,766

sheff wed v west ham 14,976
sunderland v cheltenham 11,969
wba v bradford 10,792
charlton v hartlepool 10,328
watford v wolves 9,296
leicester v blackpool 7,386
reading v luton 6,941
crystal palace v coventry 5,341
gillingham v porstmouth 4,903
burnley v barnsley 4,501
cardiff v macclesfield 3,849
wigan v bournemouth 3,346

[quote]many season ticket holders i know didn''t attend last night, making the attendance even more impressive.[/quote]

I''ve got a season ticket and didn''t go

I live in Nottingham though so I think I have a bit of an excuse, I saw Forest instead last night! We should all be grateful of what Norwich and Worthy have given us, league 1 is dreadful (and it cost £22 for a ticket!).

I don''t think anyone can argue with the attitude of our fans or the clubs pricing when they see that list of gates. This morning I was very amused to see one fan on the 606 board saying it was the smallest crowd he''s seen at Carrow Road, guess he missed out on some of the 11k matches then!

How many of those clubs took the sensible step of reducing prices and letting kids in for the cost of printing a ticket? 

Once in and around the stadium secondary sales of drink,food and other merchandise soon mount up to cover the cost the club have already incurred in opening the stadium to stage the match anyway.

In addition to the clubs sensible pricing for what was otherwise an unattractive fixture the club has superb nucleus of fans that outstrips capacity so casual fans who rarely get a ticket for a league fixture take the limited opportunity to see the club when it arises.

OTBC

It was an excellent attendance I thought, considering the bus strike situation. I enjoyed the game, it was quite entertaining, and good to see ''fringe'' players'' strutting their stuff. Would have liked Rossi Jarvis to have had a run out- because I think the lad''s a good prospect. All in all an enjoyable evening.

Roll on Saturday and next Tuesday, should indicate whether our tide has turned.......I do think things are looking up! OTBC ;~)

"Lamb & mint pie at halftime was a bit of a letdown though!" Ramble.....ramble......moan......yawn.....

Good to see the boys are getting behind the team but 1 thing that really annoys me is when u get people in here sayen there were total strangers in there block any1 can go watch the game if they support Norwich City people make it sound like they own there block. should be happy that we are getting big crowds for such an early round in the cup against a not so big club.

I am one of those season ticketers who decided to sit elsewhere. Didn''t like it I''ve got used to all the usual fans who sit around me and there strangness was missed. Although I did have one old bloke behind me singing songs from the war. And of course all the sodding kids screaming, then looking around at you expecting you to do something silly. Gits

[quote]Just found this. Absolutely stunning: Norwich v Northampton 16,766 sheff wed v west ham 14,976 sunderland v cheltenham 11,969 wba v bradford 10,792 charlton v hartlepool 10,328 watford v wolves 9,2...[/quote]

whos the pride of anglia?

IM sure we deserve a place back on that programe!

good find by the way DD, its always ncie to see some stats to back up the facts

the economic downturn that has hit the rest of industry/retail is now hitting football too...good to see we still outsold everyone else tho

i think the top teams may well be in for a shock in the next few years

incidentally has anyone else noticed how many kids playing in the streets now wear Chelsea shirts rather than ManUre shirts   how fickle youngsters are

[quote]I am a season ticket holder but i decided to try a different part of the ground , so i am guessing that maybe several other season ticket holders did the same ,so explaining why maybe some fans though...[/quote]

I am a season ticket holder but changed seats last night!

I sat in the Barclay end which was the first time for a very long time.  Alot nosier than my usual River End position

[quote]Just found this. Absolutely stunning: Norwich v Northampton 16,766 sheff wed v west ham 14,976 sunderland v cheltenham 11,969 wba v bradford 10,792 charlton v hartlepool 10,328 watford v wolves 9,2...[/quote]

Not bad - to watch the reserves. Think how many more we could have got if we''d put the first team out !

These stats were in just about every paper today so its not exactly rocket science research from DD now is it? And YC was making the original point anyway.

As for the Nottingham person, I think we were 300 more than their crowd anyway and in fact only Rangers out crowded us.

Memo to Football league if you can blag us an easy draw path to the final we guarantee a big crowd to save you some face.

Will it be at Wembley anyone know?

My son and I are season ticket holders and pretty much go to every away game as well.

We didn''t attend last night -  it''s always really tight on time to get to FCR from here with a school finish of 3.45 and a 200 mile journey through Birmingham etc ahead of us anyway, but yesterday my work (self-employed photographer/journalist) didn''t quie go to plan either so we had to abandon the potential trip on this occasion.

At the prices of £10 and £1 respectively to purchase our seats (which incidentally we did do) it was a risk worth taking - does our sale and non attendance get included in the figures I wonder?

City have been excellent in their marketing of cheap childrens prices for several years now, and in my opinion this is a large reason why we have such a groundswell of demand on a general basis, as well as why the gates are good for games like last nights. Sound marketing that should keep the fan base strong for years to come too.

[quote]Good to see the boys are getting behind the team but 1 thing that really annoys me is when u get people in here sayen there were total strangers in there block any1 can go watch the game if they suppo...[/quote]

Quite!
Yesterday was the first time in 12 months that I''ve managed to get a ticket for my prefered area (almost to the day - Bristol Rovers in the 2nd round - 1-0 Safri)
Needless to say it was Barclay lower block D

Other than that, I usually seem to end up with the dregs ie Jarrold stand, hideously overpriced and no atmosphere. Cost me £26 to see the Plymouth game!

My brother wants me to come to every game now, we always seem to win when I go...

[quote]These stats were in just about every paper today so its not exactly rocket science research from DD now is it? And YC was making the original point anyway. As for the Nottingham person, I think we we...[/quote]

Why attack DD ?

I too am a season ticket who chose to move seats and try and re-live my yoof. Trouble is they have seats there these days, spotty teenagers with mobiles texting their ''birds'', and an irritating habit of standing up in protest of their frothy tea. Well I presume thats what they were chanting and complaining about.

Carpets in the bar - wos all tharaboot ?

I''d like to say thank you to those sitting in my row in the Jarrold Stand for making me excercise more during the game than during my 30 minute walk to Carrow Rd.

I don''t think I''ve had to stand up so often during a match to let so many people in and out in my life. I mean, some of us do actually come to the football to watch FOOTBALL you know! If you want to eat, drink, and go to the loo every 5 minutes then go to a bar and watch Sky bloody Sports!

Very interesting Pyro Pete. Possibly we should share this information with Dicky. Does he know that there are so many people at the games that are so pre-occupied with eating, drinking and going to the loo every 5 minutes. I wonder if these match attendees are also INFORMED versus those of us who sit with our ears glued to the radio, not stirring once while the match is being played. 

[quote]Very interesting Pyro Pete. Possibly we should share this information with Dicky. Does he know that there are so many people at the games that are so pre-occupied with eating, drinking and going to th...[/quote]

LOL YankeeC, I pour SO many wrong drinks, with my earpiece in behind the bar.

Making Plans - was that a little harsh, or did I miss some humour there?