Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

A few questions

Moreorless reduced to watching highlights videos this season, but there are two recurring themes I wanted to ask more informed fans than me.

Firstly watching Josh this season, firstly I thought he looked off the pace at first (understandable after missing most of pre-season) which seems to have passed, but every time I see him he looks unhappy. He looks downbeat, not celebrating goals really (though they have come in minor competitions or in friendlies). From the highlights footage he just doesnt look himself. Is this misleading or has he been affected by his brother''s move? Would be very understandable if he was.

Secondly, the highlights videos seem to put our formation as a 4-5-1 with Hoolahan always playing on the right-wing. From the footage he doesnt seem to be hugging the right touchline much, so how accurate is this?

Thanks for helping out a plastic...

The more informed fans are at this very minute either having their tea or getting pissed at Wetherspoon''s

About Murphy, the fact is, he was very close to his brother and they had been training together for years to get them to the point they''re at now. I think the competition between them helped gave them more motivation to get better, they lived together and it was clear they had a very close relationship. Murphy has also experienced the biggest turnover of players in his Norwich career. It''s easy to forget that players are human and these things may have some effects in some ways, but I''m confident we have a manager who can make him into a better player. A manager who has coached players such as Gotze, I doubt that he''s going to be too down about life as he''s earning a living playing football, but I wouldn''t be surprised if he''s personally going through some change, just like the whole club, the way he''s perceived by the fans could be that he''s not as happy, or it could be that he''s more focused with less distractions. Either way, it''s his performances for the team which is the most important thing.

The Murphys were apart when they were on loan at different clubs, so it is not as if they don''t kow what it''s like to be away from each other. I would think that Josh has got his head down and is getting on with being the player he knows he can be - a kind of maturity that is seeing him getting results on the pitch.  Jacob has got his move, but may be on the bench more than he is on the pitch this season.  What Josh needs to do is have a great season with us and then he could well get his big money move, whether to Newcastle or not, who knows, but Jacob got his move on the strength of a good season for us - so Josh has to emulate that - and if he does that is good for us as well as him.  Great to have Josh playing well and hope he has a great season for us.

Re. the 4:5:1, best to just treat it as a conventional way of displaying the starting eleven. A good way of seeing how much resemblance it bears to the on-field reality is to look at the player heatmaps for the match on WhoScored. (PS. Judging from the frequent complaints on here about selections forcing round pegs into square holes, being confused by the convention is not the prerogative of so-called plastics!)

A few weeks ago I was watching one of those Sky challenge things where the players have to curl the ball into the net direct from a corner. We were the team.

Before the players took their kick they had to say what their position was. Josh''s answer was twin-less. Probably means not very much but I did think at the time how big a personal event Jacob moving on must have been for them both.

I''ve been to the games vs Sunderland, QPR and Villa this season.

Formation-wise, against Sunderland we played 3-5-2 and Wes didn''t start.  Wildschut (excellent) and Husband were the wing-backs - Husband looked very uncomfortable in the wing-back role due to his lack of pace IMO.  Wes came on late in the game and played centrally, by then it was too late to make any real difference. 

Against QPR we played 4-5-1 and the back 4 looked more comfortable.  Wes played mainly on the flank AFAIR and this limited his involvement, but with Oliveira, Maddison and Murphy also on the pitch, overall we had plenty of creative options.  Unlike against Sunderland, I always felt we were likely to score.

Against Villa we also played 4-5-1 but neither Wes nor Maddison started and Murphy was really our only attacking/creative threat.  Wes came on late in the game (with Oliveira) and played centrally, and we looked far the better team after they came on.  Villa were fortunate with their last 2 goals, one coming from a massive deflection and the second after the clear handball, if they hadn''t scored both those goals I think we''d have got a point or three, but those are the breaks.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]A few weeks ago I was watching one of those Sky challenge things where the players have to curl the ball into the net direct from a corner. We were the team.

Before the players took their kick they had to say what their position was. Josh''s answer was twin-less. Probably means not very much but I did think at the time how big a personal event Jacob moving on must have been for them both.[/quote]I wouldn''t read too much into that. After he said "twin-less" you could hear a bunch of the lads laughing in the background. Add to that the fact that a lot of the guys who played together in the youth team regularly go out with one another (and are pictured on IG doing so...loads, often with Madders too) and I think you have your answer. It was a bit of an ''in joke''...nothing more.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]You think there are more informed fans on here ?[/quote]Of course there are Frankie. Take Ricardo''s match reports for a start, I think they''re very informative. Can you imagine how absolutely pathetic it would be on here with us all discussing a game nobody had actually seen because we were all plastics. That was the point the OP was making, asking for information from people who had actually been to the games.We have Bethnel''s highly informed player input, Purple''s detailed search for FACTS and let''s not forget the good work Nutty Nigel does. There are many good and honest posters but of course, a site as busy as this is always going to get it share of WUM and trolls but nobody takes them seriously.Informative? Most news stories are broken on here only to be followed up by Archant and other sites later.Back to you original question which was a direct reply to the OP, if you don''t think there are any informed fans on this site, why do you bother reading it let alone posting on it? 

Good post Lapps

Other sites are available, but I think FF is already aware of those! ;-)

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Good grief, have some of you had a sense of humour bypass ? 😀[/quote]I seem to have missed the joke Frankie, you''ll have to explain it to me....

lappinitup wrote the following post at 24/08/2017 8:55 PM:

FenwayFrank wrote:

Good grief, have some of you had a sense of humour bypass ? 😀

I seem to have missed the joke Frankie, you''ll have to explain it to me....

I think you''ll find that Fank''s main purpose in posting on here is to criticise pinkun posters. Sadly he has a big chip on his shoulder, all he needs is a piece of scampi an the other and it we would have a meal deal.

Frank, don''t you know humour has no place on this board. You obviously just don''t care enough to discuss things seriously?Go and stand in the corner and have good hard think about what you''ve done.Apples 

FenwayFrank wrote the following post at 25/08?2017 8:59 AM:

Not that you''ve ever criticised any posters on here winky...

In recent months Frank you have made a habit of

regularly making derogatory remarks about our posters and generally about this board.

[quote user="Greavsy"]Maybe Frank was just being frank.[/quote]That should be a capital F Greavsy. [;)]

FenwayFrank wrote the following post at 25/08/2017 7:57 PM:

"Our" posters ? Lol, is that the new name for the inner circle ?

What on earth is the "inner circle" Frank?

TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 25/08/2017 9:53 PM:

That should be a capital F Greavsy.

Was deliberately ambiguous Tilly.

Ohhhh the irony!

Just read the article on Josh''s life without Jacob. So sad that we''ll never get to see the two of them as a duo ripping it up for us like they did with the youth team. I watched all the youth cup games so felt like I saw them emerge so feel a sense of attachment to them. Dont begrudge him his move though especially when those baby pics of them in Newcastle shirts came out, but must be very tough on them both. Very close obviously.

Left me wondering though, every set of identical twins I''ve ever known have been quite close and got on.

Anyone ever met any that didnt get on? (and evil twins from dodgy soap operas dont count)