Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Charlton

With my usual area of the ground closed I took the opportunity to try a seat behind the Barclay goal. I don''t think I''ve been in there for forty years, probably not since the days of Martin Peters. In fact my position brought back memories of even earlier times and one in particular when Errol Crossan scored the only goal right in front of me in a second round FA Cup replay against Swindon in 1958. Strange how just a different viewing position brought that memory back.Tinkerman or rotation? your guess is as good as mine but it looks like everyone is going to get a run at some time or other. City started slow and the first five minutes was long distance viewing as all the play took place in the River End half and the gates at the back opened early to give Charlton the lead. To be fair, from that moment on City took control of the game and you felt that a leveller could come at any time. Naismith and Watkins should have made more of it when City broke forward in style but the move ended disappointingly when Josh followed up wide of the target.Wes was buzzing nicely in midfield while Tetty began to settle in front of the City defence and boys started to come forward with real purpose. On twenty minutes Pintos swinging cross was neatly headed down by Watkins and Josh hammered a low shot past Philips from the edge of the box for one all. It might have been two with Josh looking a threat but this time the Charlton keeper dived to turn a his near post effort away for a corner. The visitors looked lively enough but were clearly second best now but despite the onslaught they managed to survive until the break. Apart from the early uncertainty the City rearguard ended the half looking well in control.From the restart we didn''t have to wait long for the next goal as We scampered away down the left in the 50th minute. He released Murphy who cut into the area and beat Philips from a narrow angle. It was pretty much plain sailing after this although Naismith and Watkins twice chose the wrong option and passed when a shot on goal might have brought better rewards.Charlton came back into it for a while and on 70 minutes Magenis had a fee header from inside the six yard box drift wide of the far upright with McGovern rooted to his line. Its his big failing but at least he redeemed himself with a good tip over from the same player a few minutes later.With a quarter hour left, Wes again swept the ball out to Josh and although Naismith''s close range effort was blocked, Watkins was on hand to lift the loose ball into the net. Wes, who had sparkled all night was now withdrawn for Trybull who immediately looked decent with some neat and shrewd passing. Wildshut then came on for Maddison and was soon running at the defence. With a minute left he broke into the box and Trybull was on hand to strike a fine goal from fifteen yards.All in all a thoroughly enjoyable win and a nice opportunity to see the game from a different perspective. Murphy MOM for his two goals but top marks also for Wes.

Thanks again ricardo. Watching on the radio was apparently more nervy than the actuality warranted!

Could a case be made for playing Tettey with Reed/Trybull? It would still give us a lot of creativity from deep with Alex as a ball winner feeding his partner. It might mean sacrificing someone like ... er ... I don''t know ... Mr. Naismith perhaps? :-).

It sounds like we do have some promising players in Stiepermann & Trybull - Yanic sounds a decent option to frighten defences too. As ever, I have reasons to be cheerful.

OTBC!

Cheers Ricardo - good to hear Marco impressed at LB - we really need him to force his way into the team because Husband looks like an utter liability so far!
The commentators seemed pretty impressed with Trybull''s cameo, so hopefully he''s actually a player who can get into the first team setup rather than just being brought in to make up the numbers.

[quote user="kick it off"]good to hear Marco impressed at LB - we really need him to force his way into the team because Husband looks like an utter liability so far![/quote]
Just read your post again, and you didn''t mention him - must have got it confused with another post - apologies - what were your impressions of Mr Stiepermann?

Just back from a very enjoyable game with a mixed bag of individual performances. For me josh murphy was virtually unplayable they could not stop him. Quite a lot of solid performances despite the sloppy opening goal. Steiperman looked very assured at left back. Watkins found it hard going though good to see him notch a goal then there was Naismith. Very rarely have I seen a players stock fall so far so quickly. He gets worse by the game is devoid of any confidence and is a serious weak link. Trouble is we cannot give him away and he desperately needs to get away and have a fresh start

Steiperman, had a good solid game on the left, got stuck in and took a couple of knocks but looked stylish on the ball.

Would not get too excited re Trybull just yet, a few square passes with Tetley when the game was won but took his goal well. Not in ready for TC

Read this last night, couldn''t make the game so just wanted to post my thanks for your reports as always Ricardo.

The main question for me since watching the highlights, Tettey or Reed? What are your thoughts Ricardo?

Personally I think we''d be best playing two in front of the back four in the league, at least until the back four has settled down. Whether Tettey would be a nailed on member of the two is a different matter. Played well last night by all accounts, but not a great test.

Reed is the future, Tetty is the past. He has been a good servant but I expect he will move on and this will be his last season with us.

[quote]Reed is the future, Tetty is the past. He has been a good servant but I expect he will move on and this will be his last season with us.[/quote]

Interesting you say Reed is the future, as far as I''m aware no deal has been struck re permanent transfer end of season.

Have you heard anything differently Ricardo or was it just a figure of speach kind of thing?