Sign in to follow this  
Hoola Han Solo

Match thread

I honestly don''t know where we go from here without dropping £5m on new players.

None of the defenders seem good enough, new or old. Martin remains poor, Franke looks like a pub player, Zimmerman similar and Husband just leaves me speechless. I feel sorry for Gunn but he''s also not blameless.

Horrible to hear Radio Norfolk already writing off any promotion chances before we''re out of August but it is difficult to argue with them.

I am still in the give it time camp - do we have a choice in any case - but now getting very worried.

It seems the rest of the division has worked out that Husband is not up to it and are targeting him, but not our management apparently. We need to buy or loan a decent LB and hope that provides sufficient protection for the rest of the defence to cope.

Possibly Stiepermann could do a job but would rather have a true LB playing in their natural position. May also be suffering a bit from the defensive element being the weakest part of Josh''s game.

Really hope we are not done this transfer window.

[quote user="AJ"]Burnley beat Liverpool 2-0 with Liverpool enjoying 80.6% possession over the 90 minutes.

Celtic, of course, beat Barca with just 16% possession[/quote]

Norwich put 7 past Reading with only 44% possession. And our one victory this season came from 44% possession. On the other hand Norwich had 69% possession in the infamous match against WBA that saw Hughton sacked.

It is not just about possession!

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]72% possession.

4-0 down.

WTF?[/quote]Some teams have balls, we have ball possession. It was almost embarrassing to watch how we''re passing the ball around in the midfield without any purpose or around their completely crowded box without causing them any problem, and then seeing Milwall score alsomst every time they cared to jog over to our half.  It''s disappinting to see that wed let players go like Howson, Vadis (2nd season of Champion''s League football) Dorrans, Olsson, and Dijks to be replaced by Vrancic and Husband.

[quote user="Canary Utd II"]The simple continuity of our laughable defending is the Captain who Norwich seem insistent on playing! He can''t organise himself, let alone the players he captains!!

We haven''t had a revolution as long as we play our weakest link.[/quote]

Correct - when will the Martin lovers realise this, defence has been a shambles for 3 years and he is teflon from any blame.

[quote user="Horse Renoir"]It''s clear what we''re trying to do and there''s a sound logic to it but we''re still struggling with the basics so badly and as has been the case under pretty much every manager we''ve had it also looks like we really don''t like a tackle under Farke either. Our final ball has also been woeful as it usually is.

Millwall, like pretty much every other team we''ve faced this year are much stronger and faster than us, looks like an u23 side facing a senior side, 3-0 now.

We''ve got some pretty glaring fatal flaws that we just don''t seem capable of fixing.[/quote]

Well perhaps that is the problem. Simply too many out of their depth? Farke''s main experience IS at U23 level. If his approach is fundamentally the same, why would we expect him to be capable at present of operating at a higher level. Maybe he is the right man, but I guess its a steep learning curve, and he needs to learn, fast. As do the others.

Maybe they are capable of adapting to their greater challenge given time, and maybe we''ll see dramatic improvement in the coming weeks. Its worrying though, and it looks like there has been massive naiveity and underestimation gone on.

Have we been ambitious and bold/revolutionary (as was the sell), or have we just gone cheap again, and is this being found out?

I guess we will all find out pretty soon. We will Farke''s true mettle in the coming months. He''ll sink or swim. He''s a rook at this level so we have no way of knowing. We seem to like giving novices a chance and seem surprised when they get found out. If you''re going to eat tuna expect bones

[quote user="Inch High aka Inchy.."]Webber is to blame,he hoodwinked the board and they fell for it,thought he just had to copy what he did at Hudderfield and everything would be fine. FAIL!![/quote]

I call this the ''Embrace'' approach. Be northern, sound like Oasis and copy their formula during their successful era, and watch the hits roll in...

We are Rednex''s ''Old Pop in an Oak'', Whigfield''s ''Another Day'', Babylon Zoos ''Animal Army''.

:(

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]I''m firmly in the "give it time" camp but this is much worse than I thought and really quite disturbing. I believe we already have the leakiest defence in the division, having known it has been poor for three years.[/quote]

What''s most disappointing is that Farke''s arrival came with much trumpeting of his defensive record. I really thought we could have the beginnings of a solid defence without needing to resort to Hughton-ball.

Does any of the fault lie with Gunn? He looks t have the perfect physique for a goalkeeper, much more than his father, yet the goals rain in.

[quote user="JF"]in football terms pot less z list celebrity owner, a local chicken factory owner, a politician/ crap dancer and a nephew that''s nothing isn''t a board that has any place in the top 2 divisions of modern football.[/quote]

Imagine if he''d become Chancellor!

[quote user="Samwam27"]Excellent and we''re now in the bottom three.

Many said give it ten games. By then we''ll be bottom and have the worst goal difference[/quote]

Its looking bad, but hey, I seem to remember Sunderland having a dreadful start one season and ended up winning the league. Long way to go yet, but needs some dramatic improvement. Lets just hope this is teething problems and an un-gelled side

The defence as a whole simply doesn''t have a clue as to what it''s meant to be doing. Heads dropped quickly throughout the team. There was little movement - and certainly no passion - but a fair amount of lateral passing. It looked like a team that is already relegated. Martin was booed whenever he received the ball. The away support wanted its money back, and expressed somewhat disparaging comments about the efficacy of the team''s performance. Without new equity to rebuild we could be heading for league two in just 18 months time. And to think if the board had removed Neil last Autumn we might be playing in the PL today rather than heading for L1. All in all today is up there with the biggest shambles of a match since the dark days of Gunn.

[quote user="hogesar"]Maybe the sofas will be available on a pay as you play contract?[/quote]Sadly, hogesar, there are a few problems with that idea. Even with pay-as-you-play you can run foul of FFP (that''s Furniture Fair Play, of course), and there are potential tactical dilemmas -  do you arrange the cushions in a flat back four or have three central and two out wide next to the wings? Do these ultra-modern multi-coloured geometric German designs fit in with your very English 1970s'' taupe wallpaper? And should you go into debt (so you cannot afford that unnecessary cosmetic surgery you promised the wife) to upgrade your sofas before the end of the sales on August 31?