Sign in to follow this  
iron_stan

bassong

"I don''t recall any City defense letting in four goals twice in a row with mistake prone Bassong in it and that includes being against Premier League attackers a lot of the time."

No, bu he did start every game of a 5 game run where we conceded three or more goals in every game, so I reckon he might not be the answer.

Bassong was superb for us in his 1st season with us and quite rightly won the PotS award!

After that he dropped of alarmingly and ended up just being a cart horse squad player.

While we are sh*ite at present a lot of that is down to the midfield line ups Farke persists with that offer little protection to the defence plus we have a LB whose not quick enough for the Championship and is worse that everyones favourite scapegoat Russell Martin!

Bassong made his mark at Norwich but also faded badly and was quite rightly released at the end of last season. We needed fresh blood in and he needs a fresh start elsewhere which notably he hasn''t has yet!

"Bassong was superb for us in his 1st season with us and quite rightly won the PotS award!

After that he dropped of alarmingly and ended up just being a cart horse squad player."

Wasn''t he a bit of a revelation when Alex Neil brought him back into the fold after he had been exiled by Neal Adams? He played well during that promotion push surely?

Not saying I would particularly enjoy us needing to take the backward step of getting him back but if we cannot sign a decent central defender in the available time left then I would not be against it as I feel that he would be an improvement upon what we currently have available.

Yes he was decent during the Alex Neil promotion season and I did remember that but omitted from my post, sorry!

I think the midfield set up isn''t working with too many ball playing players when there has to be room for Tetty who can shield the backline, rather than just simply saying the CB''s aren''t good enough!

I''d rather have any of our CB''s playing than the show pony Vranic!

Bassong contributed good at time in recent seasons but he was released for a reason and we shouldn''t go back!

I am not 100% sure of all the reasons why Seb was released, we can all make reasonable guesses.

In my opinion though, whatever weaknesses he had on the pitch, he was/is a far better defender than any other defender we have at the club now. That includes Klose, based on the level of performance he showed last season. I am amazed that anyone would not think that he is clearly a class above what we have now.

I can see how bringing him back would be seen as a backward step but if it makes our defence stronger how can that be the case?

Looking at our current crop of CB''s and i will include Martin in that they make Bassong look like Sir Bobby Moore !

[quote user="Maniacal Bill"][quote user="iron_stan"]cant believe im considering this but given the lack of experience, ability and quality at centre back right now and the general lack of funds would it be such a bad idea to have him back? a pay as you play or one year rolling contract wouldnt be a bad move imo[/quote]One of football''s great urban myth''sBassong would have to be registered to us. To ensure he turned up for training/ games etc he would require payment, which rather puts us both back where we were.There''s no such thing as a ''hack'' footballer, as in a jobbing comedian etc ie they get paid for that performance/match only As to the actual player, there is a reason the club got rid, as they did when he went on loan to Watford. It maybe the reason he still hasn''t got a club.

[/quote]

From

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/pay-as-you-play/

What is meant by a pay as you play deal?

Under a pay as you play deal the player will be contracted to the club for a certain amount of time under a standard FA Premier League contract. The only difference to the make-up of that player’s contract than other players in the team is that player will be paid when he makes an appearance for the club.

Bassong seems to be one of those players that when motivated is an excellent player but all too often isn''t. He''d often look excellent for 85 minutes but spend the other 5 doing his damndest to give a goal away.

Dorset Canary wrote the following post at 24/08/2017 10:25 PM:

Am sure the reason they let Seb go was a combination of things and mostly... Ability, Age & Personal

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ability? He always had that.

Personal? How would we know?

Age? He''s getting on a bit, I mean, he''s almost as old as Russell Martin!

As I said earlier in this thread, it is a shame that we even have to consider it, but it is worth considering.

I always find it a bit odd Bassong is seemingly singled out for this pack of concentration. I would suggest that can be levelled at the rest of them.