Sign in to follow this  
iron_stan

bassong

cant believe im considering this but given the lack of experience, ability and quality at centre back right now and the general lack of funds would it be such a bad idea to have him back? a pay as you play or one year rolling contract wouldnt be a bad move imo

[quote user="paul moy"]He''d come in an ask Daniel Farke  ''what have you achieved in football ?''.........[/quote]couldnt blame him eitherthe silence would be deafening

Too old, had more than enough chances here and just wouldn''t perform consistently. A strong back four requires more than that - there''s a reason he''s still without a club now.

I''d much, much, rather we invest in players like Raggett who have potential to deliver

[quote user="iron_stan"]cant believe im considering this but given the lack of experience, ability and quality at centre back right now and the general lack of funds would it be such a bad idea to have him back? a pay as you play or one year rolling contract wouldnt be a bad move imo[/quote]One of football''s great urban myth''sBassong would have to be registered to us. To ensure he turned up for training/ games etc he would require payment, which rather puts us both back where we were.There''s no such thing as a ''hack'' footballer, as in a jobbing comedian etc ie they get paid for that performance/match only As to the actual player, there is a reason the club got rid, as they did when he went on loan to Watford. It maybe the reason he still hasn''t got a club.

Apples, Bassong played a part in only 13 matches last season during which we conceded 18 goals. I''m not sure how many of those goals he was actually on the pitch for. Four of the 18 were against Newcastle so if you take that match away, then it''s 14 in 12 matches (I appreciate it still counts).

Zimmerman and Franke have already conceded 10 goals in just 5 matches this season. Not sure you could rely on Bassong to put in a great performance every week but according to those stats, we were a better team with him in last season and probably would be again this. Why he didn''t play more and why he hasn''t got a club now, I suspect is down to non-footballing reasons rather than ability.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]What good is investing in Raggett when we are desperate for defenders now?[/quote]

I think Farke wants to get Zimmerman and Francke up to speed and Klose back in and I suspect Ragget will be back up at best, at least to start with.

Is it any coincidence that nobody has picked Bassong up since he was released?People will be wanting Lafferty back next...Apples

Two players that I wish we had available to us now are Raggett and Morris.  At least they are our players, though.  I hope we sign a striker before the end of the window.

Sweet Jesus, we really must be in desperate times! Bassong had one good season. The rest of the time he was a woeful liability. When it comes to horrendous individual errors and going to sleep at key times this guy actually surpassed Russell Martin! And people are advocating bringing him back? No thanks. I''d rather stick with the new German lads and hope they improve.

I get that LDC, but we are short of 3 defenders in my opinion.

1 RB as back up to Pinto

1 CB pushing for a start

1 LB as a starter - Husband doesn''t look up to it at all.

We have seen that we are 1 or 2 injuries away from critical levels at the back. We have received substantial transfer fees this summer so some has to be reinvested in more defenders. It is threadbare at best, with only 2 or 3 players across 4 positions who look Championship quality

Right now, if Zimmerman & Franke aren''t the answer, and nor is Raggett or Russell Martin, are we looking at Klose + someone new?

All a bit baffling - what on earth is the best way forward for the Norwich central defence?

Zimmerman, Franke & Raggett all look like they need time to develop - and time is a commodity we don''t have if we''re serious about competing this side of Christmas.

At least Seb has the physical presence that many were complaining of we lacked on Saturday. Yes he was error prone, but once or twice a game, not continually as at present. To me it would be a retrograde step, but Seb and Zimmerman as a CB combo while Franke settles and Klose gets fit may not be the worst idea in the world.

Whereas I do not feel that Seb is the answer, if nothing else is out there he could be a very temporary fill in.

He was still a better defender than most that we have at the moment, he is not old, he has just turned 31, and his style of play could suit the new system.

On top of that he wouldn''t have to put up with playing with Ryan Bennett!

I just have the feeling that he has made a comfortable living out of football, has made his packet, and doesn''t want the hassle!

From Sky Sports: BASSONG AT BIRMINGHAM

Harry Redknapp has revealed Sebastien Bassong is training with Birmingham City after his release from Norwich at the end of last season.

The pair worked together at Tottenham, and Redknapp told the Birmingham Mail: "He’s a great lad and he’s going to come in and get himself fit ready to play somewhere.

"He’s on a free, he’s a good lad...he was player of the year at Norwich two years ago and he’s still a very good player in my opinion."

70% of the problem is at Full Back. Teams know that we are easy meat in the space out wide in our defensive third. This means that our CB pair are facing more overloads in each game than they should be. They are being set up to fail. Teams get to run at our CB''s so frequently firstly because our FB on the left gets out of position and doesn''t seem to know where the opposition is and secondly because we only play on defensive mid who is also getting pulled out of position and can''t be everywhere. Every team we play now will be targeting this vulnerability. Move our defensive mid out of position and play into the space behind the FB and you have a good chance of scoring against us. Oh and just pressing us can give the same result.

I don''t recall any City defense letting in four goals twice in a row with mistake prone Bassong in it and that includes being against Premier League attackers a lot of the time.

We also kept a few clean sheets as well and so far this season we''ve kept one and even conceded against lower league opposition on two occasions.

To even have to consider the return of Bertie into the fold is ample comment upon the weakness of our current choice as he is likely to be more effective than any of them.

Harry will get him up to championship standard he mostly always does

he will pick up some frees and add some higher wage players and put a team together he always does

will it be good for the club in 3 years time ??? who knows like Portsmouth when he left but he is a master at getting a team together wheeling dealing

as for Bassong maybe just as good if not better than we have now wages were the problem