Sign in to follow this  
Herman

Cromer??

other than it happened there
Well that speaks volumes
Why did Vesuvius erupt?
Why was there a gunfight at the OK Corral?
Notice the pattern

Meanwhile:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4808738/Villagers-force-group-travellers-sports-field.html

Lovely in Cromer today. Sea Bass in Boltons Bistro is superb.

No Peroni on tap though. Otherwise excellent.

Oh Ricardo we could have met up for a drink if Id of known you were there this morning. Nice and sunny wasnt it?

Mrs Ricardo now scoffing her Creme Brule. I''m saving room for a nice Rum n Raisin cornet. A bit hazy but still very pleasant weather.

[quote user="STFU"][quote user="Yellow Wal"]Where did they go?

Somebody must have seen them passing through somewhere?[/quote]

Great Yarmouth? BBC website has a piece about a man being raped and robbed there early this morning.

Also, again on BBC website, a teenage girl was raped in Cromer on Friday night-related?[/quote]

From Cromer the travellers split up, some went to Colchester and the rest went to Peterbrough, confirmed by police this morning

[quote user="Diane"][quote user="STFU"][quote user="Yellow Wal"]Where did they go?

Great Yarmouth? BBC website has a piece about a man being raped and robbed there early this morning.

Also, again on BBC website, a teenage girl was raped in Cromer on Friday night-related?[/quote]

From Cromer the travellers split up, some went to Colchester and the rest went to Peterbrough, confirmed by police this morning
[/quote]I did wonder who left that horse tied on the lamp post outside my house.....

[quote user="Diane"][quote user="STFU"][quote user="Yellow Wal"]Where did they go?

[/quote]Given that somebody has been arrested in Essex with regard to the above alleged offence it does seem as if the boys in blue know more than they let on.I understand that DNA can point towards the likely suspect, but how did they know where he was ? Do they know who is in each mobile home ?Whichever way let''s hope they have got the right man, irrespective of what community he belongs to. This is a terrifying offence and one that I doubt is easily (or perhaps ever) forgot by the victim.

The following article by Steve Downes: [Y]

I’ve never made any secret of how much I love Cromer.I lived there for 38 years before a recent move to Norwich and still call it home. It is a wonderful town with a unique character - lived in by people who are generally broad-minded, welcoming, and with a wry sense of humour.Right now, on behalf of Cromer, I am fuming.I am fuming at the thugs who targeted the town last weekend, intimidating shop owners, staff and customers as they stole goods and refused to pay for their food and drink in restaurants and pubs.I am fuming at the initial police response - both the inadequate number of officers who attended and the comments that dismissed it as “low-level disorder”. That has since been corrected, but it left a sour taste in many mouths.I am also fuming at some of the news articles that have been written about Cromer as it was reluctantly cast in the spotlight.National journalists headed to the coast, lured by the tasty story about the town being on lockdown in response to crimes linked to the arrival of Travellers on the Runton Road car park.Some put together fair and balanced reports. But others did the predictable hatchet job - leaving Cromer wounded.The worst example came from Guardian journalists Kevin Rawlinson and Patrick Barkham, who seemed to have drawn their conclusions before speaking to people.Their article panders to prejudices about the rather amusing little people who live beyond the M25.Because Cromer isn’t Kensington or Chelsea, the people are therefore hicks from the sticks, to be patted on the head and poked fun at - the sort of people to be laughed at at dinner parties and in wine bars.How about this gem, said by a local, no doubt with a Cromer twinkle in the eye? What quaint folk we must be.“To locals – as far as dialect was concerned at least – even Norwich, 30 miles south, could seem a world away.”How true. As we ride our carts the 22 (not 30) miles to Norwich, we imagine fairytale castles, giants and streets paved with chocolate. It’s not a world away, it’s another dimension.Now I’m not too keen on labelling people who read particular papers, but I think it’s fair to say Guardian readers are largely left-wing and liberal [Y]They probably have a tendency to be sympathetic to Travellers. But this article pushed sympathy too far.It read: “The weekend’s trouble has been blamed by some on a group of Irish Travellers who are said to have moved to a site near the town at the end of last week.”For “said to have moved to a site” read “did move to a site”.And who are the “some” who blamed the group of Irish Travellers for the weekend’s trouble? Well, how about the Deputy Chief Constable of Norfolk, Nick Dean?On Monday he said: “An influx of the travelling community in Cromer... led to an increase in low level disorder and thefts and the events that we know about.”He said “a large proportion” of the incidents were related to the travelling community but it would be “wrong to say all the events were”.Case closed - unless your agenda encourages you to turn the victims into the villains.Let’s not pretend that Cromer is a town without its faults. Like every community, it has its “wrong uns”, and too many (one is too many) people with intolerant and racist views that easily bubble to the surface.Twitter, Facebook and the comments section of our stories featured sporadic and shameful uses of words like “pikeys”. The authors - whether from Cromer or elsewhere - did the town no favours.There is no excusing it, so I won’t. Instead, I’ll move on to the police.By underplaying the trouble and failing to make arrests or bring charges, they probably thought they were taking the heat out of the situation, enabling the Travellers to move on and things to calm down.But it’s counterproductive. For it breeds resentment - a feeling of “one rule for one, one rule for others”. If and when the Travellers return, it might be to a town bracing itself for unrest, rather than extending the hand of welcome.That, I can assure you, is not the default setting for Cromer, which welcomes tens of thousands of people from all over the UK to the town every summer.The response to people is not based on their ethnicity, their colour or their accent - it’s based on how they behave.Business owners do not close their doors on a whim during the peak season, a time when they are trying to maximise their income to see them through the fallow winter months.It wasn’t panic or prejudice - it was a considered response to a threat.Ask the Indian restaurant owners who endured violence, theft and intimidation; or the pub manager who was almost pulled across the bar for asking people to leave; or the shopkeeper who lost a greater value of stock to shoplifting in one day than in all his years of being in business.It all happened, and the Travellers were largely responsible for it. These are facts, not conclusions born of hate.Sadly, conclusions born of prejudice have damaged Cromer and disrespected its people.I for one won’t have it. So stop your superiority and snobbery, drop your disdain and make more effort to get to know the truth about a town that is a genuine gem.

[quote user="Jools"]The following article by Steve Downes: [Y]

I’ve never made any secret of how much I love Cromer.I lived there for 38 years before a recent move to Norwich and still call it home. It is a wonderful town with a unique character - lived in by people who are generally broad-minded, welcoming, and with a wry sense of humour.Right now, on behalf of Cromer, I am fuming.I am fuming at the thugs who targeted the town last weekend, intimidating shop owners, staff and customers as they stole goods and refused to pay for their food and drink in restaurants and pubs.I am fuming at the initial police response - both the inadequate number of officers who attended and the comments that dismissed it as “low-level disorder”. That has since been corrected, but it left a sour taste in many mouths.I am also fuming at some of the news articles that have been written about Cromer as it was reluctantly cast in the spotlight.National journalists headed to the coast, lured by the tasty story about the town being on lockdown in response to crimes linked to the arrival of Travellers on the Runton Road car park.Some put together fair and balanced reports. But others did the predictable hatchet job - leaving Cromer wounded.The worst example came from Guardian journalists Kevin Rawlinson and Patrick Barkham, who seemed to have drawn their conclusions before speaking to people.Their article panders to prejudices about the rather amusing little people who live beyond the M25.Because Cromer isn’t Kensington or Chelsea, the people are therefore hicks from the sticks, to be patted on the head and poked fun at - the sort of people to be laughed at at dinner parties and in wine bars.How about this gem, said by a local, no doubt with a Cromer twinkle in the eye? What quaint folk we must be.“To locals – as far as dialect was concerned at least – even Norwich, 30 miles south, could seem a world away.”How true. As we ride our carts the 22 (not 30) miles to Norwich, we imagine fairytale castles, giants and streets paved with chocolate. It’s not a world away, it’s another dimension.Now I’m not too keen on labelling people who read particular papers, but I think it’s fair to say Guardian readers are largely left-wing and liberal [Y]They probably have a tendency to be sympathetic to Travellers. But this article pushed sympathy too far.It read: “The weekend’s trouble has been blamed by some on a group of Irish Travellers who are said to have moved to a site near the town at the end of last week.”For “said to have moved to a site” read “did move to a site”.And who are the “some” who blamed the group of Irish Travellers for the weekend’s trouble? Well, how about the Deputy Chief Constable of Norfolk, Nick Dean?On Monday he said: “An influx of the travelling community in Cromer... led to an increase in low level disorder and thefts and the events that we know about.”He said “a large proportion” of the incidents were related to the travelling community but it would be “wrong to say all the events were”.Case closed - unless your agenda encourages you to turn the victims into the villains.Let’s not pretend that Cromer is a town without its faults. Like every community, it has its “wrong uns”, and too many (one is too many) people with intolerant and racist views that easily bubble to the surface.Twitter, Facebook and the comments section of our stories featured sporadic and shameful uses of words like “pikeys”. The authors - whether from Cromer or elsewhere - did the town no favours.There is no excusing it, so I won’t. Instead, I’ll move on to the police.By underplaying the trouble and failing to make arrests or bring charges, they probably thought they were taking the heat out of the situation, enabling the Travellers to move on and things to calm down.But it’s counterproductive. For it breeds resentment - a feeling of “one rule for one, one rule for others”. If and when the Travellers return, it might be to a town bracing itself for unrest, rather than extending the hand of welcome.That, I can assure you, is not the default setting for Cromer, which welcomes tens of thousands of people from all over the UK to the town every summer.The response to people is not based on their ethnicity, their colour or their accent - it’s based on how they behave.Business owners do not close their doors on a whim during the peak season, a time when they are trying to maximise their income to see them through the fallow winter months.It wasn’t panic or prejudice - it was a considered response to a threat.Ask the Indian restaurant owners who endured violence, theft and intimidation; or the pub manager who was almost pulled across the bar for asking people to leave; or the shopkeeper who lost a greater value of stock to shoplifting in one day than in all his years of being in business.It all happened, and the Travellers were largely responsible for it. These are facts, not conclusions born of hate.Sadly, conclusions born of prejudice have damaged Cromer and disrespected its people.I for one won’t have it. So stop your superiority and snobbery, drop your disdain and make more effort to get to know the truth about a town that is a genuine gem.[/quote]I hadn''t read the piece but you are making a misleading mountain out of one comment. It is actually a decent piece of writing that makes several interesting and sympathetic points about Cromer and overall leaves a very good impression of the town. Because it is The Guardian you have read into it what you wanted to:https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/21/crabs-chips-and-carnival-chaos-why-changing-cromer-faced-lockdown

I''m not quite sure that you let someone call a whole Town racist is making a misleading mountain out of one comment, or are you referring to something else?

As for what Andy Rising said, good grief.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]I''m not quite sure that you let someone call a whole Town racist is making a misleading mountain out of one comment, or are you referring to something else?

As for what Andy Rising said, good grief.[/quote]Yes, in effect I am referring to something else. What I was saying was misleading was Jools claiming The Guardian was being patronising about "quaint" Cromer, based on one single remark (which is only patronising if you want to read it that way) when overall the article was very sympathetic to Cromer.As to the racism comments, the reporters spoke to someone who was obviously a relevant person to interview, and her comments were relevant to the story. Are you saying The Guardian should have suppressed what she said about Cromer just because it was controversial?

Ok

No, the Guardian shouldn''t have suppressed any opinion. Why was she a relevant person to interview? She (very obviously) had no facts to hand (apart from the ''no arrests'' bit), and was making a sweeping statement about people''s opinions about Travellers, as opposed to this particular occasion.

Also, it might have been relevant, in the light of balanced (!!) journalism of course, to get a response from someone in Cromer (who actually knew what happened at the weekend) to her very ''strong'' comments , that the whole of Cromer was racist. I say the whole of Cromer, because I have seen , and heard a tremendous amount from last weekend, and I have yet to hear anybody show any sympathies, support or concerns, for those particular Travellers behaviour/actions

Her piece was not challenged or debated. it had NOTHING to do with accents or ethnicity. it had EVERYTHING to do with their actions. Of course, she takes it to the nth degree, talking about prosecutions, or the whole thing is null and void. You and I , both know, that is not relevant, and is not the finite argument to use.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Ok

No, the Guardian shouldn''t have suppressed any opinion. Why was she a relevant person to interview? She (very obviously) had no facts to hand (apart from the ''no arrests'' bit), and was making a sweeping statement about people''s opinions about Travellers, as opposed to this particular occasion.

Also, it might have been relevant, in the light of balanced (!!) journalism of course, to get a response from someone in Cromer (who actually knew what happened at the weekend) to her very ''strong'' comments , that the whole of Cromer was racist. I say the whole of Cromer, because I have seen , and heard a tremendous amount from last weekend, and I have yet to hear anybody show any sympathies, support or concerns, for those particular Travellers behaviour/actions[/quote]Based on the description of her in The Guardian as a former North Norfolk councillor (so knows the area) and someone who speaks for Travellers she was an obvious person to talk to. And she doesn''t accuse the whole town of racism. You won''t find that in what she said. She is more talking about this kind of accusation in general. That said, I understand why residents would be upset by her comments.And The Guardian article has three paragraphs blaming travellers for the specific trouble before you get to her comments, which strikes me as reasonable.

Purple, I am not saying she isn''t entitled to an opinion, and I see why they talked to her, but, she obviously didn''t know what she was talking about (as in what happened at Cromer), and Cromer wasn''t given a chance to reply to her comments. She effectively does accuse the whole Town of racism, (see my comments above) because of Cromer''s actions , how else do you interpret it?

Yellowfuture wrote the following post at 20/08/2017 8:41 PM:

Diane wrote the following post at 20/08/2017 7:52 PM:

Crabbycanary3 wrote:

Both lovely eateries Diane. Yes, the sausage rolls in Sam''s place (Rock Shop Bistro) are bootiful No 1s or Mary Janes? Whisper it quietly, but a lot of locals prefer the ..!.!.......... Road........

I didn''t mention ...!!!.... chippy on purpose Smile Smile [:)] as its a well kept secret and much better than Mary Janes/No 1 , we use it at least once a fortnight then eat it in the park with a cool drink

Noted 👍

Well for info Diane and Crabby I got round to trying it out tonight and can assure you I was not dissapointed 👍

I remembered posters talking about the local chippies so thought you''d enjoy this review.[url]https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/may/13/upstairs-at-no-1-cromer-a-damn-fine-mouthful-or-six-restaurant-review[/url]

You are lucky in that part of the world as I believe that the chippies largely still fry the fish and chips in lard or beef fat or whatever it is.

(I''ll never forget Thompson''s fayre from Aylsham Road each Saturday night.)

It''s all oil down in this corner of the country and you can see the empty drums lines up at the rear of the shops after a busy week-end.

[quote user="ricardo"]Can''t beat Stafford St, Norwich 👍[/quote]Shame they don''t sell skate anymore. 2/6 back in the day which was twice the price of cod or haddock.Mary Jane''s does it to die for but for rather more than 2/6 sadly.....

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]Mary Janes every time. Chips are far superior to No1.[/quote]
Heard it a couple of times in recent weeks from different people that the standards have slipped.