Sign in to follow this  
Feel The Force

Brighton won't score enough goals in the prem...

[quote user="Midlands Yellow"]Based on tonight''s match ? They are winning this league on merit and you have no idea who they might sign in the summer . Hope they do ok .[/quote]

They are winning the league on merit, providing they haven''t done what Bournemouth did and broken FFP rules.

Angry man wrote the following post at 22/04/2017 6:43 AM:

Their chairman has pumped £500,000,000 into them since he took over

Yeah it''s certainly over £250 million since he took over. More unbelievable is that it''s all money that he has made from gambling! Tony Bloom is the worlds most successful football gambler and is believed to have made Billions from it, but nobody knows exactly how much. His story is quite remarkable!

I have friends who support Brighton so have a soft spot for them - it''ll definitely be tough, they have the issue we all face in that decent Champs players don''t always translate into PL and you can hardly buy an entire new team. Murray is a good example - he''s never made it at PL level, but shines in the Champs (similar to Gayle at Newcastle). As likely as not they will fail, or at best become one of those mid-table obscurities a la Stoke, WBA - this is pretty much what they/we have to aspire to.

Next year''s Middlesbrough. I expect them to put up a bit more of a fight than them but still to be ultimately relegated without scoring a whole lot of goals.

Think Knockheart will become a big player though. Crazy to think he would''ve been within our reach and was available in January 2015 when we went on our little spending spree but somehow missed him. I remember him tearing us apart in the 2-0 FA cup loss at home to Leicester in Lamberts last year and always liked him as a player.

Far worse teams than Brighton have been promoted and survived . Exactly what neutrals would say about us if we were going up . Wait and see who they sign in the coming months .

I would hope Hughton has learned lessons from being in charge here. Next season he can''t just set up to defend, relying on a quick counter attack break or goals from set pieces. There''ll be too many good teams in the premier league that will quickly unpick his defensive game plan otherwise. That said, I dont really care how they''ll get on. We blew our chance of promotion!

I hope they do well. Will be tasty with them and Palace/B''Mouth in the PL. Can see the first season settling in to 14th. Maybe they''ll struggle in the 2nd season should they stay up, goals will be the important thing they''ll need to nail down as with any recently promoted club.

On the Brighton Albion comment feed of their version of the EDP the fans were banging on about the clubs'' rivalries. Maybe I interpreted it wrong as I don''t care too much for south coast football but there we go.

Sad to see so many sour-grape posts. Of course Brighton are going to find it difficult, as will whoever wins the play-offs; Newcastle still have a nucleus of PL players and the money and big-name magnetism that the others lack. I don''t think Brighton will see survival next season as essential; having been building sensibly in the Championship they have the luxury of being able to take a slightly longer perspective, similar to what was anticipated for us under McNally''s original 7-year plan i.e. promotion, relegation, promotion, survival. As regards scoring enough goals, how many is "enough". There''s good statistical evidence that in the EPL goal difference matters more than number of goals scored, a rough rule of thumb being that if you can keep your GD below -12 you have a good chance of surviving. Given that, I''d Hughton''s Brighton are better equipped for the PL that posters focussing on goal scoring realise.

before todays games ,Middlesbrough''s goal difference was -15 compared to the other clubs around the relegation area who are all in the -30 mark.

It wont do them any good ,as they ultimately can''t score goals ,even if they have been relatively good defensively.

the comparison between Middlesbrough of this season and potentially Brighton of next is perfectly valid

There could be some truth in the subject content. We were fortunate on the first shot (post deflection). Brighton looked pretty flat. Only time will tell. I had the honor of sitting with Bill Punton. We were joking that the player of the match should have been the Brighton Goalkeeper.

Chris Hughton certainly has his Premier League rallying cry for his troops ready once more (anyone else see the clip on BBC?):

- an element of fear...

- ...but the rest being excitement about playing against the big clubs/players...

So, just the mentality that worked so effectively for us.