Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Top six in time.

At the start of the season many thought that we should win the league. Most said play offs.A few said top ten which I include myself.The squad was decent without being outstanding. Now we can rebuild and in a few seasons can challenge for top six,maybe sooner.

In a few seasons?!?!......we''ve been poor for large parts of this season yet are still 8th and only 7 points off the playoffs,

and are the 3rd (or 2nd?) highest scorers in the league

Had any kind of attention been paid to our defence, either in the transfer marker or on the training field by our management/coaching staff this season, we would comfortably have been in the top 6......I don''t believe this has been a particularly strong league this year either.

I''d hope to think we''ll be challenging around the top 6 much quicker than a "few seasons" ??

A few seasons.I hope that we are challenging for top 6 next season, or even top 2. I see no reason why, if we can sort the defensive problems out and a couple of other issues,we will be a team that will challenge the for title

I''m really dubious about this rebuilding idea.  Once we lose the parachute payments we''ll become a pretty average Championship side in financial terms.  Why people think we''ll be able to improve our squad, in relative terms to our competitors, or compared to what we''ve got now, is completely beyond me.

IMO this summer is massive for the club.  Can we keep our better and more effective players while replacing those who are out of contract (and we don''t want to keep) and shift some of the higher-wage but non-contributing players without taking too big a financial hit, and spend the parachute payments wisely on the weak/missing positions in the squad.  If we can, and recruit a good head coach & coaching staff, then we are well placed for next season.  Fail, and we''re facing a long stay in the Championship with a squad of declining quality.