Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Webber's influence

Well, ''uddersfield''s form has imploded, whilst we seem to have grown a pair, since Webber''s formal arrival. Wassgornon? Does he have a bigger influence on pitch matters after all?

I can see most of that starting 11 being here next season. Doubts would be Dijks (loan), Martin (past it?) and Josh Murphy who I feel is too light weight. Out will go Tettey, Mulumbu, Whittaker, Jarvis, Bassong, Turner, Lafferty and possibly Hoolahan if Webber''s talk on Friday night about an old squad suggests age will be a factor. I also expect it will be quite a ruthless cull, and I doubt we will raise much in the way of transfer fees for the above players either. He has not minced his words by talking about past mistakes and commenting that is why AN is in the commentary box, not the dugout. He certainly comes across as the one who will be in charge and the coach will be expected to deliver a type of footbal, and an attitude from the players that is laid down. Not before I would say.

Very prescient of you however I suggest we shall not get any fees for any of the above those still in contract will definitely not move on due to receiving salaries potential suitors will not meet.

Of those listed only Tettey still under contract come June given recent form who will want to pay a fee and improved contract terms. Noone that''s who.

Having checked, it is only Martin and Hoolahan who are still in contract (plus Tettey) until 2018. Players can have their contract paid up, less the value of any new contract for that same period. it does mean quite a lot of ''new faces'', plus the promotion of sme youngsters. McGrandles and Thompson are out of contract, though I suspect they will stay. But Webber is going to go through the squad like a does of salts and fans should note his words but did reveal that the new man would “have the final say but not the only say” on players and tactics.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Let''s hope he has the same success as David McNally.Once again, it seems Delia has chosen wisely.......[/quote]I like what you did there.

I thought the comments regarding Alex Neil being in the commentary box were unnecessary. Alex has a promotion, Wembley win, and year in the Premiership under his belt.

This bloke has never held this position before, therefore has no track record of success in his post. He appears to have played a bit part in short periods of mediocrity at a number of clubs. I hope he is as good as he thinks he is, because I see nothing concrete supporting his opinion of how he is the man to re-shape Norwich City. He is as much a gamble as Alex was.

I thought it was entirely necessary and about time some of Neils inept squad building was criticised. Long overdue spotlight on some disastrous waste.

We have spent millions and millions of pounds, money this club can ill afford, on areas of the squad where we were already strong whilst ignoring the defence which desperately needed strengthening. Wildschut is a case in point. Reasonable enough player but did we really need to spend £7 million on a wide player when we are so short of centre halves that we couldn''t even put one on the bench against Brighton?

AN has a lot to answer for IMO and bringing to light some of his errors is no bad thing. It shows the sort of mistakes we absolute cannnot afford to make again.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]I thought it was entirely necessary and about time some of Neils inept squad building was criticised. Long overdue spotlight on some disastrous waste.

We have spent millions and millions of pounds, money this club can ill afford, on areas of the squad where we were already strong whilst ignoring the defence which desperately needed strengthening. Wildschut is a case in point. Reasonable enough player but did we really need to spend £7 million on a wide player when we are so short of centre halves that we couldn''t even put one on the bench against Brighton?

AN has a lot to answer for IMO and bringing to light some of his errors is no bad thing. It shows the sort of mistakes we absolute cannnot afford to make again.[/quote]Totally agree Hairy Canary. Webber is not going to suffer fools gladly and good for him.

Why oh why do people always come back with "Neil has a promotion for us" under his belt yet conveniently forget he got us relegated too?

Hopefully he is waiting for his mate at Huddersfield to fail in the play offs and bring him here too . Might explain the wait and I''m sure he''d be tempted to double crowds and money .

[quote user="shefcanary"]Well, ''uddersfield''s form has imploded, whilst we seem to have grown a pair, since Webber''s formal arrival. Wassgornon? Does he have a bigger influence on pitch matters after all?[/quote]

They were still good enough to beat us though

FCC wrote the following post at 2017-04-23 12:18 AM:

I thought the comments regarding Alex Neil being in the commentary box were unnecessary. Alex has a promotion, Wembley win, and year in the Premiership under his belt.

Are you for real?

1) he was in the commentary box, and the reasons for that are very clear to most, except you it appears!

2) A Wembley win! So what? Plenty of managers have!

3) A year in the premiership - and a relegation! Or did you forget that?

4) took reputedly the strongest squad in the championship to 10th Place!

5) what position hasn''t Webber held before? What did he do at Huddersfield? Or Wolves?

6) Why is getting rid of an underachieving manager and looking to appoint a decent coach a gamble?

7) I see everything concrete. AN on his own admission on Friday admitted he was too loyal to the ''deadwood'' which he should have cleared out. Webber states he will clear that deadwood out! Yes he is the man to reshape Norwich City!

lappinitup wrote the following post at 22/04/2017 5:51 PM:

Let''s hope he has the same success as David McNally.

Once again, it seems Delia has chosen wisely.......

....that makes a change.😊

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Why oh why do people always come back with "Neil has a promotion for us" under his belt yet conveniently forget he got us relegated too?[/quote]

Mainly to make sure the other side of the argument is there and make sure people don''t rewrite history.  AN will ever be the manager who gave us one of our best few weeks of form and best single days ever.  A historical rise up the table and days to go along with the promotion in 1972,  Milk Cup in 1985, first PL season in 1992 and Bayern Munich away in 1993 and the Paul Lambert era.  You can criticise people for their faults, but you don''t forget the good times - unless you enjoy beng bitter about things.  He deserves our respect for his successes, even if things went sour afterwards. 

You have been warned before plastic , you are not entitled to an opinion as you only watch on the radio , excusing this "due to distance " , unless it happens to be a fixture near to where you live ,,, then there will be a different reason not to attend . Now stop it or I will have you banned .

I believe the comments were unnecessary - and the evidence suggests Weber has achieved little in football, and nothing in the role he has been appointed to.

He has plenty to say, but no record of achievement, or loyalty. Even the team he has left may achieve nothing this year.

Hi LDC,

"Historical rise"? Yes, insomuch it was in the past, if that is what you meant, then I''m in total agreement. If you were alluding to a meaning along the lines of "a historic rise" then I''m in total disagreement, accepting you wrote ''historical'' but the syntax of your words led me to believe the meaning was more aligned with ''historic''.

From the day he took over to the end of the season we rose 4 places and reduced our deficit (in points) on the top position by 4. Good but not what I would consider ''historic''.

Jeez, I must be bored?

Have to say that Webber does need to be a bit careful - at the moment he has supporters with him and like that he has confidence in what he''s doing, but ultimately he hasn''t yet done anything and arrogance is another thing altogether that can be unhelpful. The comments about AN we''re a little unnecessary however true they may be, and such things do have a habit of coming back and biting you (they rather smack of the sort of thing Roeder would''ve said and we all know how that turned out).

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Have to say that Webber does need to be a bit careful - at the moment he has supporters with him and like that he has confidence in what he''s doing, but ultimately he hasn''t yet done anything and arrogance is another thing altogether that can be unhelpful. The comments about AN we''re a little unnecessary however true they may be, and such things do have a habit of coming back and biting you (they rather smack of the sort of thing Roeder would''ve said and we all know how that turned out).[/quote]In recent times our scatter gun approach to recruitment and signings has proved dreadful and he has removed the 3 main offenders at Colney within days of taking office so yes he has already done something.

I''m not so sure he''s done much more than anyone coming in would have done - it is all part of the major restructure and we clearly needed new guys - he wants his people, it''s what happens.

I''m certainly not against Webber, or the changes mooted - we clearly needed a refresh - but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating over the summer. One thing I''m sure we don''t need is another Roeder who starts to get people''s backs up.

I love the way he said in the interview that Webber spoke about the team needing to play with more intensity and more tempo. It''s just what we need.

[quote user="FCC"]I believe the comments were unnecessary - and the evidence suggests Weber has achieved little in football, and nothing in the role he has been appointed to.

He has plenty to say, but no record of achievement, or loyalty. Even the team he has left may achieve nothing this year.[/quote]Let''s hope the comment about AN were merely a lapse. It was unnecessary, we are all aware of AN''s failings and I''m sure the majority of supporters are now more interested in the future and Webber''s ideas and plans, than making digs at the former manager. There is nothing to stop us winning the last two games either. The points won''t matter but the spirit will.For all those saying what might have been, they''ll be plenty thinking what might be, come next season. That''s where the focus now needs to be. How much Webber can get the club and squad fully focused remains to be seen. So maybe he will be best focusing on what lies ahead. AN is gone and we wait to see who his replacement will be. A busy summer for certain.

Answering a question about how many of the current squad he expects to be at the club in August, Webber said: “I’d say 12-15 of those in the programme from tonight.”

He told guests he felt some players were “not good enough and not hungry enough” and also highlighted the average age of the squad having to be reduced.

Webber spoke about the team needing to play with more intensity and more tempo.

The sporting director talked about “massive mistakes” which have been made at the club and certainly caused many eyebrows to be raised when he added: “That is why Alex Neil is in the commentary box rather than the dug out,” referring to the former manager being a Sky TV pundit at the match.

Pretty brutal!

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Answering a question about how many of the current squad he expects to be at the club in August, Webber said: “I’d say 12-15 of those in the programme from tonight.”

He told guests he felt some players were “not good enough and not hungry enough” and also highlighted the average age of the squad having to be reduced.

Webber spoke about the team needing to play with more intensity and more tempo.

The sporting director talked about “massive mistakes” which have been made at the club and certainly caused many eyebrows to be raised when he added: “That is why Alex Neil is in the commentary box rather than the dug out,” referring to the former manager being a Sky TV pundit at the match.

Pretty brutal![/quote]

This bit about how will be at the club in August has already been badly misinterpreted. There are 18 players on duty for the match. It''s a long time since I bought a programme so I''m assuming it doesn''t mention many more than the 18 on duty. As he said ''12-15 of those in the programme from tonight'' then thats 12-15 out of 18 (maybe 20). The second part of the Pinkun article misquotes Webber by saying "Norwich City’s new sporting director Stuart Webber said he only

expects “12-15” of the current squad to be at Carrow Road at the start

of next season."He definitely didn''t say "12-15 of the current squad".

For the record there were 28 listed in the programme on Friday night, average from what i have seen would say most championship sides have 24 - 28 so not massively over sized, just too much dead wood.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]For the record there were 28 listed in the programme on Friday night, average from what i have seen would say most championship sides have 24 - 28 so not massively over sized, just too much dead wood.[/quote]Thanks for that. It just goes to show how long ago it was that I bought a programme. The last one I got listed a best guess starting eleven and a guess at the subs.I suppose the squad members who are not on that programme list are going anyway so it does look like a cull is on the way with the remaining 28!

Being a bit of a fool, I still buy a programme to every game (if I can) - I wasn''t at the Brighton game but vs Reading the squad listed 28, being the main guys we can pick from, so not the those out on loan (i.e. no Andreu et al) which may include guys set to leave, but including the likes of Turner, Lafferty and Bassong (surely leaving us).

I don''t suppose we should get too wedded to that figure mentioned, but it a big turnover is in the offing, and more than just those out of contract.

[quote user="Carrow89"]I can see most of that starting 11 being here next season. Doubts would be Dijks (loan), Martin (past it?) and Josh Murphy who I feel is too light weight. Out will go Tettey, Mulumbu, Whittaker, Jarvis, Bassong, Turner, Lafferty and possibly Hoolahan if Webber''s talk on Friday night about an old squad suggests age will be a factor. I also expect it will be quite a ruthless cull, and I doubt we will raise much in the way of transfer fees for the above players either. He has not minced his words by talking about past mistakes and commenting that is why AN is in the commentary box, not the dugout. He certainly comes across as the one who will be in charge and the coach will be expected to deliver a type of footbal, and an attitude from the players that is laid down. Not before I would say.[/quote]

To be fair to AN, I think he would have accepted offers for Bassong, Turner, Lafferty and possibly Mulumbu and Ruddy if a team had come in for them in the last couple of transfer windows, but now that their contracts are coming to an end, we can just release them. To do so earlier would have cost the club a lot of money - I''d suspect over £100,000 a week in salaries alone for the 5 names above.

The interesting ones will be those still under contract and a) whether someone will come in for them and if not, b) whether their contracts will be paid up.