Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

O/T But R.I.P. Orient.

A sad but compelling story by a proper fan of a proper little football club who have lived life in the shadows of far bigger London clubs. I will never forget that night in 1972 when we clinched promotion at Brisbane Road to the old first Division for the first time in our history.. Thousands of city fans there that night and a pitch invasion at the end of a 2-0 win. Always have had a soft spot for them probably because of that night.https://colemoreton.com/2017/04/22/farewell-to-the-orient-why-its-almost-a-relief-to-say-goodbye/

[quote user="TIL 1010"]A sad but compelling story by a proper fan of a proper little football club who have lived life in the shadows of far bigger London clubs. I will never forget that night in 1972 when we clinched promotion at Brisbane Road to the old first Division for the first time in our history.. Thousands of city fans there that night and a pitch invasion at the end of a 2-0 win. Always have had a soft spot for them probably because of that night.https://colemoreton.com/2017/04/22/farewell-to-the-orient-why-its-almost-a-relief-to-say-goodbye/[/quote]

Probably the greatest football night of my life. When we got there I just couldn''t believe how many we had taken. And a few Gooners had turned up to see what we looked like for the next season. They kept their mouths shut that night!

Poor old Orient. One minute after the Olympic Stadium and now facing possible extinction.

Barry Hearn said he couldn''t afford to lose any more money on them which is fair enough but their Italian owner doesn''t seem to have helped them.

If they had beaten Rotherham in the play off final, who knows what they might be doing now.

Wasn''t there that night, not as old as some of you ! but i did get to play them in the 1st round proper of the FA cup several years ago, had some decent players over the years, remember Darren Peacock anyone?

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Wasn''t there that night, not as old as some of you ! but i did get to play them in the 1st round proper of the FA cup several years ago, had some decent players over the years, remember Darren Peacock anyone?[/quote]I must have missed his tenure as an Orient player Lessingham. [;)]

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Wasn''t there that night, not as old as some of you ! but i did get to play them in the 1st round proper of the FA cup several years ago, had some decent players over the years, remember Darren Peacock anyone?[/quote]

Only the one that played for QPR and Newcastle.

Too young for 71/72, but certainly remember the FA Cup game in 1978 when John Chiedoze ran riot on our left hand side. That was the only game my Mum ever went with me, and was disgusted with his treatment (racist chanting) and she swore never to go again.

Great night - my dad took me - my first ever away game - still at primary school at the time!I hope that they pull it round.

Excellent and emotional article underlining the many fans of smaller clubs that have fallen on hard times some never to return Bradford park avenue Darlington Scarborough rushton and diamonds Hereford Stockport etc should make us appreciate what we have imperfect though it can be at times

What a great night - I remember leaving off work in Colchester, driving down on my own, and every other car had green and yellow scalves flying out of the windows. Sad to see the problems there now.

Remember that game at orient best moment of my life as a city fan .so sad when clubs like this drop out of the league. glad to see Lincoln back in the league remember getting Phil Hubbard from them .

I was there at the Orient game too in April 1972, Graham Paddon my hero in those days scored the 2nd goal.

It was a great night for us at Orient and I''ll always remember it. Let''s not forget if they go, it will be another of the classic clubs going out of existence