Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Is Webber right?

Agreed.

I''d personally prefer a flag, as knowing my luck I''d be stuck under the large banner and not be able to see!!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="king canary"]I swear until this season I''d never heard this weird argument espoused by some on here that you can separate the home from from the away form. Football just doesn''t work like that.[/quote]
I think I understand it more than the attitude of some on here that an interview in The Times and poor away form equated to showing no attacking intent at Carrow Road. Webber seems to have ruffled a few feathers. I expect he ruffled a few more by bringing up the disgraceful treatment of Jacob Murphy. Not sure I agree with him. I think he may live to regret it as criticising supporters is usually the fast track to St Andrews Hall. But it''s entertaining nonetheless...
[/quote]
Let''s keep this real. This is the post that seems to have upset Tilly. I stand by it. Criticising the fans is usually the final straw. Webber''s brought it on early. I think that was ill advised. I guess that''s the perils of doing an interview with someone off the street. I would imagine the club would have advised him differently. Doubt Archant would have instigated that at this time but they''re happy to reproduce it now. But what''s done is done. I expect we will see some Webber praise for our wonderful fans sooner rather than later.
As for Webber''s point I think he is right. I also think he''s right about the treatment of Jacob. We have brought this on ourselves in a way. It''s the price we pay for the captive season ticket holders. Many don''t seem to want to see a mid-table championship team and back in the day wouldn''t have gone to a lot of the games. Gates would have dropped but the atmosphere would probably have been better. As I understand it many of these haven''t renewed so it may be better next season. 
[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Nutty, I enjoy your posts, but your viewpoint that any fans not gleefully looking forward to and enjoying all these games is a bit one sided and condescending - can you not see why some enthusiasm has dwindled?[/quote]
That''s not my view point though buddy. My viewpoint about that is that I can''t reconcile scoring more home goals than we have in any season for over 30 years with abject performances and showing no attacking intent. I''m honest and I wish everyone would be. Those type of comments aren''t honest. I suspect the truth is that many fans expected a better season over all so didn''t enjoy those goals as much because of their disappointment. Which brings me back to the captive season ticket debate at the start of this post.
Greavsy - I respect your opinion about me but will continue to keep my own counsel.

If keeping your counsel is to keep shouting me out then keep it up champ, you''re doing a grand job.

#respect.

Scoring plenty of home goals is fine . Many came in a high scoring game interspersed with many poor games.

If Webber wants the fans to give their all regardless of what the team is doing , maybe a reciprocal action of appreciation ?

Something along the lines of the B&B show "4 in a bed " or something like that . Where you are told the going rate , but pay what you feel your stay was actually worth . Plenty of games this season with little or no gate revenue might have brought a sharper focus to the management on how important it is to actually entertain , in what is after all a, an entertainment business.

So criticising fans is usually the fast track to St Andrews Hall apparently and Webber may regret his comments. History shows three meetings at that venue one in the Chase years, one during the Worthington reign and the last one upon relegation to League One so i am struggling to understand the link with those meetings and fans being criticised. Maybe somebody can help me out ?

I agree Barclay, it''s not just about goals, as good as a high scoring win is, it becomes a non event quite quickly.

The Newcastle 2-2 was a much more entertaining match than the 5-1 victory over Forest, in my view.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]So criticising fans is usually the fast track to St Andrews Hall apparently and Webber may regret his comments. History shows three meetings at that venue one in the Chase years, one during the Worthington reign and the last one upon relegation to League One so i am struggling to understand the link with those meetings and fans being criticised. Maybe somebody can help me out ?[/quote]
I think you''re muchy too touchy about that post. In all cases criticising the fans was one of the last bones of contention. You seem to want to take the post a bit too personally. Rather like a weatherman taking offence when someone says "It never rains but it pours".

I think we''d be hard pressed to find support for the view that an entertaining 2-2 draw with Nottingham Forest would have been more enjoyable than the 5-1 win.

That 3-4 against Liverpool was a "helluva" game but I can''t remember too many people warmly glowing about the entertainment afterwards. Plenty of moaning and even some booing unless I''m mistaken.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 26/04/2017 5:52 PM:

I think we''d be hard pressed to find support for the view that an entertaining 2-2 draw with Nottingham Forest would have been more enjoyable than the 5-1 win.

That''s partly my point, the expectation against some teams is much more than against others. We expect to win against the lower league positions, and have a closer game with those around us.

So when that expectation isn''t delivered we are inclined to moan and criticise, and feel hard done.

@duncan, i dont think anyone can say the Liverpool game wasn''t entertaining , especially for the neutrals, i just think the booing was a reaction to throwing away a lead, then draw after almost rescuing it at the death.

I think we are quite blessed to have 2 areas of the Ground (Barclay and Snakepit) that drum up vocal support. Certainly not all grounds have that, for a start.

It has been quieter for a lot of games, this season, and I also agree with the comment (Duncan''s?) about the originality of songs. I do hear ''tunes'' from other games on the tellybox, from fans, and can''t always hear what exactly is being said, but there is an obvious repertoire, that we struggle to match.

Everyone is a critic, I know, but if a talented someone could come up with one or two songs that tell a story, (i.e a few lines long) that would be awesome.

The atmosphere in the seventies was excellent we were louder than most grounds ,then seats were put in and prices raised ,stopping many fans coming due to cost ,then the hotel wrecked the ground splitting the stands ,the atmosphere has been killed by outpricing the ordinary fan who would be more willing to sing and replacing them with a more reserved type fan .many people who used to go every week can''t afford the prices charged these days

[quote user="Yellowhammer"]The atmosphere in the seventies was excellent we were louder than most grounds ,then seats were put in and prices raised ,stopping many fans coming due to cost ,then the hotel wrecked the ground splitting the stands ,the atmosphere has been killed by outpricing the ordinary fan who would be more willing to sing and replacing them with a more reserved type fan .many people who used to go every week can''t afford the prices charged these days[/quote]A bog standard adult season ticket costs £499 which works out at £21.70 per game which can be spread over 12 months at 0% interest so i really don''t go along with your outpricing comment Yellowhammer.

[quote user="Mike "]Also maybe do less interviews like The Times special.... that made everyone want to get behind our club...[/quote]

That was football''s equivalent of the Rattner moment.

For more information on Ratner''s comments about his business:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/aug/22/gerald-ratner-jewellery-total-crap-1992-archive

[quote user="Yellowhammer"]The atmosphere in the seventies was excellent we were louder than most grounds ,then seats were put in and prices raised ,stopping many fans coming due to cost ,then the hotel wrecked the ground splitting the stands ,the atmosphere has been killed by outpricing the ordinary fan who would be more willing to sing and replacing them with a more reserved type fan .many people who used to go every week can''t afford the prices charged these days[/quote]

I agree the price of watching football has gone OTT.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]I think it''s a two way process, the team can raise the crowd and vice versa.

WHAT WE DON''T NEED IS A BLOODY DRUM !!!![/quote]

We could always have another:

LET''s BE HAVIN'' YOU! moment

[quote user="Horse Renoir"]Introduce a safe standing area. Price those tickets 20% less than seating ones.

[/quote]

Given the demand and the cost of providing a safe standing area, the price should command a premium not a discount.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Yup, Mr Webber is totally correct, and I also believe that it''s entirely the NCFC supporters'' fault that the club hasn''t achieved promotion, or made the play-offs.......

All them fan''s do is turn up an'' pick nose, mumble, gripe, grunt, snort, fart, cough, sneeze, wheeze, whine an'' belch.......an'' stare at their iphone, Samsung, LG etc, etc......

At games, we should be like them people clappin'' an'' singin'' in unison in Queen''s Radio Gaga video.....

Give them lousy supporters'' an ultimatum Mr Webber......Be a true fan - or don''t bother coming to Carra!......''HUZZAH!''[/quote]

BTW., how much noise is coming from the Directors box?

Lead from the front Mr Webber!

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]What grounds do have a good atmosphere these days?

I can''t think of that many off the top of my head[/quote]

Wherever Iceland play.

[quote user="king canary"]Some practical solutions -

If Webber wants people getting a bit drunk and then louder perhaps serve some half decent beer instead of paying £4 for a bottle of horrible Carling.

Secondly I''d turn the PA down a bit. The goal music, the ridiculously overdramatic classical piece that plays just before we come out and the forced ''OTBC'' at the start leads to an artificial atmosphere that can''t be kept up when play starts.

Finally (and I know this is a bit gimmicky) get a drum in there. I''ve been to a couple of Cambridge United this season as they are now my local team and the drum they have helps immensely. It keeps rhythm and helps start chants when things go a bit quiet.[/quote]

I was agreeing with you up to your point about the drum.

Please no drum.

Can the announcer also stop thanking us for our fantastic support when it hasn''t been fantastic!

[quote user="Donkey dangler"][quote user="Mike "]Also maybe do less interviews like The Times special.... that made everyone want to get behind our club...[/quote]

That was football''s equivalent of the Rattner moment.[/quote]Good post Tangie.

[quote user="Donkey dangler"]For more information on Ratner''s comments about his business:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/aug/22/gerald-ratner-jewellery-total-crap-1992-archive[/quote]Good post Tangie.

[quote user="Donkey dangler"][quote user="Yellowhammer"]The atmosphere in the seventies was excellent we were louder than most grounds ,then seats were put in and prices raised ,stopping many fans coming due to cost ,then the hotel wrecked the ground splitting the stands ,the atmosphere has been killed by outpricing the ordinary fan who would be more willing to sing and replacing them with a more reserved type fan .many people who used to go every week can''t afford the prices charged these days[/quote]

I agree the price of watching football has gone OTT.[/quote]Good post Tangie.

[quote user="Donkey dangler"][quote user="CANARYKING"]I think it''s a two way process, the team can raise the crowd and vice versa.

WHAT WE DON''T NEED IS A BLOODY DRUM !!!![/quote]

We could always have another:

LET''s BE HAVIN'' YOU! moment[/quote]Good post Tangie.