Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Is Webber right?

Some of us like to shout and sing and even boo wherever we sit but I also respect those fans that just want to sit and watch the game.

Not everyone is a vociferous extrovert and to be fair some of the repertoire is moronic e.g. "We shoot burglars" "The army"

I think our goal celebrations are rather muted these days but I suspect it would be different if we were challenging for promotion or avoiding relegation.

Every fan celebrates or moans in their own way and their support is just as valuable - "Vive la difference"

I think our overall position has a lot to do with it.  Everyone was aware we were doing well at home, but poorly away and as a result were failing to get back into the playoff places, despite the teams above us having pretty poor runs.  So that''s got to dent your enthusiasm.

Also there weren''t many away games where we dominated but lost to soft goals.  I know the Wednesday defeat is an extreme example, but if you take the defeat at Burton for example, yes the first goal was a clear mistake by Klose, but we didn''t exactly dominate & over the full game, we couldn''t really complain about the result as far as the team''s performance goes (clearly we can complain about how badly our team played but that''s another matter).

If you think back to the enthusiasm when we beat the scum in the playoffs, I''m pretty sure the excitement levels would be back up there if we are in contention next season.

This list of terms to be fulfilled before customers can support their team will be pretty difficult for the club to achieve. Winning easily seems to have been added to the reasons to moan. Or only scoring one in the second half of a game we scored six in the first half. Webbo seems to have set Webber''s expectation at winning the championship and establishing the club in the PL. We may as well book the Andrews now....

In my personal opinion, I generally attend a game and my vocal support is pretty isolated to that game. I don''t, on a general basis, think "we were rubbish away last week so no way am I singing for them this week!"

The problem we''ve had this season is the fans seem to have developed a bit of an apathy towards a large percentage of the playing squad and that''s always going to cause a problem with supporting. The relationship between players and fans is vital in producing an atmosphere.

There''s STILL a ban of safe standing? ...My contempt for our ''leaders'' grows every day...

I still stand by the idea that the problem is mainly that we have a very reserved crowd. I don''t think they''re too old (many old boys out sing me easily, though i think a section full of younger fans would improve things) nor do i think we have a fickle or in any way poor support.

If not a safe standing area then something has to be done to get the crowd going. People are perfectly prepared to sing and cheer, they just don''t want to lead or be the only voice in their section.

it is a Norfolk thing, I really don''t know why, but people are on the whole, in my experience more reserved and introverted (same goes for me to be fair) than other places.

We do have a strong miserable moaning culture of course, every club does, I think they just come out my prominantly here because those around them aren''t likely to shut them down or have a word.

I think the pre match music could do with a tweak as well. It''s geared towards teenage girls, which is an extremely minute demographic of our support. They had the playlists perfect in the early 2000''s, loads of anthemic british guitar music, felt right for a football game, we should go back to that.

Nutty can i just point out that St Andrews was last used by fans in 2009 some eight years ago virtually to the day but please don''t let me stop you from banging on and on about those meetings at every opportunity .

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Touchy muchy[/quote]No not at all Duncan but your old man has made reference to St Andrews in his last two posts on this thread. Just struggling to think what point he is trying to make. He always seems to drag those meetings up whenever the actions of fans comes into question.

I still believe that since our opportunity to be promoted faded away, the atmosphere went too. The ''entertainment'' we''ve had this season isn''t in doubt, and I''ve loved how many goals we''ve seen this season, but the ultimate goal was promotion and by missing out on it, Webber''s observation is a crowd who are now in pre-season / friendly mode.

I''m sure that come the first home game of the new season, everyone will be getting behind the team, especially with a new coach and a few new faces.

Yup, Mr Webber is totally correct, and I also believe that it''s entirely the NCFC supporters'' fault that the club hasn''t achieved promotion, or made the play-offs.......

All them fan''s do is turn up an'' pick nose, mumble, gripe, grunt, snort, fart, cough, sneeze, wheeze, whine an'' belch.......an'' stare at their iphone, Samsung, LG etc, etc......

At games, we should be like them people clappin'' an'' singin'' in unison in Queen''s Radio Gaga video.....

Give them lousy supporters'' an ultimatum Mr Webber......Be a true fan - or don''t bother coming to Carra!......''HUZZAH!''

Wayyy too muchy touchy.

The only reason we haven''t been to the Andrews since 2009 is because the guy with the gumption to organise it is too long in the tooth. Since 2009 there''s been lots of requests on here for another pitch fork and torch pilgrimage.

Would that be the original topic of Webber''s comments or yours about St Andrews hall?

No trolling from me, funny how you jump on me, again. Getting tedious Eddie, don''t you think?

You''re wasting your time with me Greavsy. There''s no way I''ll be goaded into calling you a moron. I keep my own counsel about such things.

If you''re unsure what the thread is about the opening post is at the top of the first page.

No interest in goading you, or anyone else. What a narcissistic comment.

My comment was not directed at you or anyone else personally, was just a general one, much in the same vein as the one from Duncan, which was as much to do with the original topic as mine.

You decided to make my post about you, i didn''t! There for all to see.

You apparently dont keep your own counsel, but hey ho, he doth protest muchly.

Surprised you didn''t revert to type and copy and paste again to prove your point.

Back on (original) topic. Whilst i think Webber has a point that the crowd have been quiet at times, he needs to be careful if he says things that appear to be having a go at our loyal fan base.

I''m sure appointing the right man, and getting a few good results will keep everyone onboard, happy, and singing.

OTBC.

Once QPR is done with, I''d have done every home game this season. However, for me the last few I''ve not really been able to get myself up for. The transition period we find ourselves in, with no permanent manager and a squad likely to change, coupled with the fact our play off hopes went weeks ago, makes these last few games just playing out fixtures that have no real meaning. Granted, I''ve really enjoyed the 7-1 and so on, but my motivation for these last few matches has dwindled and I doubt I''m not the only one. This doesn''t make us worse supporters etc.

Nutty, I enjoy your posts, but your viewpoint that any fans not gleefully looking forward to and enjoying all these games is a bit one sided and condescending - can you not see why some enthusiasm has dwindled?

Webber is 100% right based on what he''s witnessed (he clearly explained his opinion was based on the games he''d attended). The present situation and general apathy felt by most supporters no doubt has something to do with it but in general we''re a pretty quite crowd.

However, this is no different to the vast majority of grounds you''ll across the country at the moment. Football has to a large extent become gentrified. A vociferous crowd and intimidating atmosphere anywhere tends to be the exception, not the norm.

I confess to missing one recently, bit under the weather and it was on tv so took the easy way out. Under normal circumstances I would never have done that but it has gone flat at FCR, all change next season though 👍

The only other game I missed at home I think was the hugely overpriced cup game, which I did on a point of principle, I think the club got the message from fans on that one😀

[quote user="Baldyboy"]To criticise the fans saying Carrie Road has been too quiet?

Who is to blame for it being quiet though? It''s the age old question of the fans geeing up the team or the team giving the fans something to shout about.

Whilst I agree at times it''s been quiet, in fact more often than not, I think a lot is down to the poor season it''s been, as when we''ve been successful recently the place has been a cauldron of noise![/quote]

The atmosphere is a direct consequence of the way Delia and Wynnie have mishandled the club.

They have not given any indication to supporters as to what their vision for the future is and how this is to be accomplished.

They have put in place a new structure which is untested and by itself cannot deliver EPL football on a sustainable basis without considerable funds to go with it.

If fans were told that the new structure would be accompanied by a £200 million Red Bull takeover, then there might be something to cheer about.

But until then................forget it.

Beat me to it Greavsy with regard to trolling and St Andrews Hall. Christ on a bike we are at the dawn of a new era and i am all for it with what i have read so far. History is what it is and cannot be changed whether you agreed with what went on back then or not and mentioning St Andrews Hall again and again ( Twice in two posts on here for starters ) is an attempt to prove what exactly ?No looking back from me and no regrets about what happened so onwards and upwards with the Webber revolution.

Some practical solutions -

If Webber wants people getting a bit drunk and then louder perhaps serve some half decent beer instead of paying £4 for a bottle of horrible Carling.

Secondly I''d turn the PA down a bit. The goal music, the ridiculously overdramatic classical piece that plays just before we come out and the forced ''OTBC'' at the start leads to an artificial atmosphere that can''t be kept up when play starts.

Finally (and I know this is a bit gimmicky) get a drum in there. I''ve been to a couple of Cambridge United this season as they are now my local team and the drum they have helps immensely. It keeps rhythm and helps start chants when things go a bit quiet.

I was at Watford last season, and their mascot whilst annoying was fantastic too.

He interacted with ALL the fans, rinsed an away supporter fantastically, and all in good spirits, and then during the game got a drum out, started from all stands in the ground.

Personally i didn''t like it, but boy did her get the crown going.

We have two macots who engage with the youngsters, then trudge about on the pitch, doing far call, in my opinion.

Whilst I''m against a drum personally i can, from that trip to Watford see the advantage, in lifting the crowd.

Our fans at home are said to be quiet, but the fans away from home usually out sing the home supporters. So why are we good at home but rubbish away ?

I think it has been quiet but only to be expected with what we''ve had to put up with this season, once the Webber & ?? revolution get going, the performances improve and we start winning the atmosphere will improve.