Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Is Webber right?

To criticise the fans saying Carrie Road has been too quiet?

Who is to blame for it being quiet though? It''s the age old question of the fans geeing up the team or the team giving the fans something to shout about.

Whilst I agree at times it''s been quiet, in fact more often than not, I think a lot is down to the poor season it''s been, as when we''ve been successful recently the place has been a cauldron of noise!

Hard to say. We''ve theoretically been in with a shout for playoffs for the majority of the season yet the atmosphere has been poor by Carrow Road standards.

I think the problem was the amount of people who really believed this squad could get play-offs became so far and few between that it translated to the stands.

I''d hope for better next season and hopefully a large clearout, new head coach etc will get everyone excited.

I have been saying this all season on here the lower Barclay and snakepit have been really poor

Time for a clear out in these areas

The test for those sitting in these areas of the stadia if you haven''t been constantly signing then time to move and join us in the river end

Is the atmosphere much better in the River End though Waveney, don''t hear much noise coming from there where I sit in the South Stand?

Give us a team with passion and attacking intent (ala Lambert) the atmosphere is fine.

Serve up the last 12 months of Alex Neils reign or the Hughton negative crap, then you get the atmosphere you deserve.

Listening to OTBC, the modern technique seems to be start off properly for Kick it Off and then speed it up fairly hastily until it just becomes a noise.

I''m afraid from my experience, the modern Barclay is pretty poor. Sometimes you have to encourage your team with chants and singing even when it is dire. Sing when you''re winning seems to apply to us.

Snakepit not only failing to lead and generate decent atmos as it has traditionally done, but also managing to boo Russ on his 300th game. Webber will have noted that if he noted Jacob getting stick in the derby. So he knows what he''s doing imo - while it may be a risk to have a go it needs to be said as everything needs to be reset.

It happens everywhere, fans get complacent, start expecting things and their attitude changes, their support become more conditional. If fans have had to get used to cr@p and mediocrity, they''re much quicker to back and support the team from a position of expecting little or nothing. Lambert did it when in L1, and Webber/Wagner have done it at HTFC after they had been in L1. Hell I imagine even them lot down the road, if they ever got a team, a manager and a regime to back and to shout about, they might get behind their team and generate an atmosphere around that place. Instead it''s getting like CR in the Roeder era at the Portaloo these days.

The atmosphere use to be great come whatever but over zealous stewarding, letters promising banning notices for persistant standing, all seater venues, pricing stopping people from going.... maybe the club should look at these things rather than the glib crap Webber is now spouting.

Been to a German match recently?

The amount of people around where I sit moaning during the second half of the Reading match was incredible. We''re winning 6-1, SIX-ONE, and they still moan, moan, moan!

Lower Barclay - Block D

He''s spot on but then the performances haven''t merited any enthusiasm or encouragement.

To be fair to the fans I think we''ve done quite well not to tear the place down with some of the abject performances dished up this season.

I don''t know the context of this, but it strikes me a very silly thing to say.

I think we have now all worked out that Webber talks the talk. And this time next year we can judge on how he walks. A few other comments he has chucked about seem a bit silly too , I would have thought he should be keeping his own counsel - the stuff about why Neil was commentating on sky was unnecessary.

I have a feeling he wouldn''t have said that to Neil''s face .

Also maybe do less interviews like The Times special.... that made everyone want to get behind our club...

Not only have players been too long but so have many parts of the crowd. Too many long-term season ticket holders.

The club needs to introduce a bar at say, 60 years old where season ticket prices rise ever more steeply so that a70 year old pays around twice the standard price for a season ticket. A bit like how private medical insurance invreases with age.

Carrow Road is no rest home for the white-haired folks and we need to get youngsters who will sing and cheer the team, into those seats.

Also older folks tend to bring thermos flasks of hot tea to the game whereas youngsters like me are spending money on hamburgers and curry chip .and stuff.

Hopefully Mr.Webber will not only get the oldies out of the playing squad but off the terraces as well

He''s absolutely spot on - it isn''t just this season that its been quiet and although this season been very disappointing, real fans try and lift their team when things are going badly.Its a long time since I''ve heard that at Carrow Road, from the home support anyway.

I think the away fans complement support is far superior actually to those that attend home matches. They tend to stick with supporting the team far longer and through tough patches in matches. It has got worse since the Lambert years of course.

Wembley was one wonderful occasion of real support but I think Webber has a point about Carrow Rd.

I think it''s a two way process, the team can raise the crowd and vice versa.

WHAT WE DON''T NEED IS A BLOODY DRUM !!!!

Webber also had something to say about the barracking of Jacob.

The good news is that if this forum can be believed many aren''t renewing which will make room for supporters who do want to be there. And even if all the season tickets aren''t taken an empty seat would probably be better for atmosphere than one taken up by someone who doesnt want to be there.

Think over 20k from the capped 22k had already renewed at the first deadline Nutty so maybe people changed their minds

It''s not just Norwich though is it?

The ageing demographic has a lot to do with it, less face it when your young you have a few beers go to the match and sing your head off, when you get older you might manage to be able clap a bit in between the moaning:)

Bring in safe standing and fill it with young people, maybe that''s the answer. Probably not though as they might misbehave or sing the wrong type of songs and as we all know that couldn''t possibly be allowed to happen

I sit in the South Stand and the atmosphere is horrific/non exsistent. I''ve thought of moving but I get on really well with the bloke next to me and we have good discussions about the football otherwise I''d be out of there like a shot. To my right I have the corporate seats, with the majority of people in there having no real interest in football, taking ten minutes to come out after half time (f ucking rude, getting in everyone''s view). In general the whole ground has become really poor, which is a result I think of our inflated expectations and entitlement.

Rock the boat

One day you might live to be that white haired old boy who has supported NCFC for 60/70 years. Doubt it though eating all that crap hamburgers and curry chips, you''ll be lucky if you ever see Premiership football again. You obviously have something against the older generation. I am 80 go to Greens Gym every day and probably are fitter than the average curry/burger eater.

Live and let live

Time to change that outdated On the Ball City anthem with some real music from the 60''s I''M a believer by the Monkey''s

"inflated expectations and entitlement" - this is the problem.

It would happen anywhere. This is the first year in the last 6 where we haven''t either been mixing with the big boys in the Prem or wiping the floor with the opposition in the Championship. So back in the Champs this year fans are waiting for the players to give us something and when they haven''t been able to (as is inevitable at some point) the fans get restless, the players get nervous and the spiral of decline begins, the recriminations start, fans turn on each other, players, off field staff etc... it''s hard to stop.

[quote user="daly"]Rock the boat

One day you might live to be that white haired old boy who has supported NCFC for 60/70 years. Doubt it though eating all that crap hamburgers and curry chips, you''ll be lucky if you ever see Premiership football again. You obviously have something against the older generation. I am 80 go to Greens Gym every day and probably are fitter than the average curry/burger eater.

Live and let live [/quote]Got a feeling he doesn''t want us to come out of our burrows at all Daly.  Maybe we should give up our houses, cars etc., perhaps he wants us carted off to camps or something, where we won''t bother the ''younger generation''.  Not sure, but I think someone did something like that before?

Webber''s observations would only have been since he''s been here, which are a) since AN had been sacked and b) since the team had no chance of promotion. Whilst a) was what the majority of the crowd wanted, b) becomes the driver of the atmosphere. If there had been anything riding on the result of the Brighton or Fulham games, you''d have seen a better atmosphere.

I believe the response to Murphy''s shot was more about a release of frustration about what might/should have been for the club this season, rather than a direct attack on him as a player. Same applies to the booing of Russell Martin for 300 appearances. He''d have got a standing ovation from everyone if we''d been challenging for a playoff place.

Unless of course, Webber''s speaking on behalf of someone else on the board who feels that the atmosphere has been poor all season. Personally, I don''t think it has, until there was nothing to play for.