Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Joey Barton...

Has just been given an 18 MONTH BAN for breaking betting regulations!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39720232

Not sure how he has broken them, but given some of the other stuff he has done in his career this seems excessive?

I literally couldn''t have less sympathy for him. Have you seen the bets he made? He''s about as good at betting as he is football. The funnies one has to be backing himself as first goalscorer..
[IMG]http://joeybarton.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/My-bets-backing-my-team.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://joeybarton.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/My-bets-backing-the-opposition.jpg[/IMG]

Something tells me that when Joey Barton hangs up his boots we will be hearing about him again but for all the wrong reasons.

Another one who is famous for being famous.

Whilst I dislike Barton immensely, the ban is totally wrong to be as long as 18 months, especially when Mersin and Jake Livermore were found guilty of taking drugs yet got far less bans! Drug taking is far worse than gambling surely?

such is life baldy, especially in a capitalist society.

kill 2 kids in a drink driving accident 2-3 years

steal a million pounds 10-15.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Whilst I dislike Barton immensely, the ban is totally wrong to be as long as 18 months, especially when Mersin and Jake Livermore were found guilty of taking drugs yet got far less bans! Drug taking is far worse than gambling surely?[/quote]Don''t know if Merson had mitigating circumstances but Livermore went off the rails on account his son was stillborn. Seems fair that he was treated leniently.Barton has no excuse unless he thinks being a weapons grade a*sehole ought to earn him some sympathy.

It''s worth pointing out this isn''t just a one off mistake by Barton. It''s around 1000 bets over years and years. That''s a big middle finger to the rules and those who set them so hardly surprising he''s been singled out.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Whilst I dislike Barton immensely, the ban is totally wrong to be as long as 18 months, especially when Mersin and Jake Livermore were found guilty of taking drugs yet got far less bans! Drug taking is far worse than gambling surely?[/quote]

I totally agree about drug taking in any sport. All should be banned for life.

Rio got a ban for missing a drug test......later, If I remember rightly he became captain of England.

It''s all in the hands of the FA, their only concern is making as much money as possible, and turning a blind eye to things that are wrong in the game.

[quote user="hogesar"]It''s worth pointing out this isn''t just a one off mistake by Barton. It''s around 1000 bets over years and years. That''s a big middle finger to the rules and those who set them so hardly surprising he''s been singled out.[/quote]
This. He knows the rules, and chose to break them over 1000 times.
It''s even worse that he was betting on games he was involved in.
I understand what others are saying about drugs etc, but I have no sympathy for him at all.

It''s excessive in the context that Cantona got half that ban for nearly taking a fans head off! And players have received half that ban for failing drugs tests. No matter your feelings towards the player, it should get reduced

Another waster bites the dust.

Probably finish up as a pundit with BBC

Not a Barton fan but 18 months seems harsh compared with other betting offences.

Heres his statement in full http://www.joeybarton.com/betting-statement/

Have to say I do agree re this bit

'''' If the FA is serious about tackling gambling I would urge it to reconsider its own dependence on the gambling industry. I say that knowing that every time I pull on my team’s shirt, I am advertising a betting company''''

[quote user="Diane"]Not a Barton fan but 18 months seems harsh compared with other betting offences.

Heres his statement in full http://www.joeybarton.com/betting-statement/

Have to say I do agree re this bit

'''' If the FA is serious about tackling gambling I would urge it to reconsider its own dependence on the gambling industry. I say that knowing that every time I pull on my team’s shirt, I am advertising a betting company''''[/quote]I bet he had no conscious pulling on the shirt thinking about his weekly wage.

It''s an obvious case of punishing the player, Had this been a unknown fleetwood town player the punishment would have been far less severe.

A known idiot with a reputation for poor judgement and outspoken narcissism- ideal candidate to make an example of.

It''s pretty clear in Barton''s case that it wasn''t a heat-of-the-moment, ''I didn''t understand the rules'' sort of situation. Gambling that much when all footballers know the rules is endemic of someone who won''t learn from a slap on the wrist.

Let the fella rot at home.

To be honest, even if it is excessive, he''s more than earned it over the years. I have no sorrow about the situ, except that it means we''ll have to put up with his dumb, smug face all over TV as a pundit 18 months early.

Over 1,000 times? Blimey, the punishment does fit the crime imo. As for the punishments for drugs etc, then increase them, don''t decrease Barton''s punishment.

Racial abuse of a fellow professional gets an 8 game ban.

Assault of a fan at the match gets a 9 month ban.

Failing drugs tests, 9 month ban.

Repeated biting of opponents, 4 month ban.

Gambling on sports and football matches, 18 months ban.

If I were to list these offences in what I believed to be the most serious to the least then the gambling is closer to the bottom than the top. Anyone who thinks the ban is justified in the context of the other offences is judging the character and not the crime

Failure to pay a booking fine (for which there is no appeal or review) in local football results in a life time ban.

The fine (which the FA call an ''administration charge'') for a player in the lowest league in the county is the same as a player in the Premiership!

A fine for a sending off in local football (which could be for a mistimed tackle) could result in a fine which, for a teenager, could equate to a week''s income. Again no appeal or review, unless of course there is video evidence! (Imagine Mr Rooney receiving a £250,000 fine for a mistimed tackle)

Many players (who are now ex-players) either can''t or won''t pay the fines, which are a major part of the County FA''s income.

How many players does this affect, 20, 40, 100?

Check the County FA''s website ............. the Sine Die Suspension List as at 20 April 2017 has more than 1000 entries.

Perhaps Joey Barton isn''t the only one who seems to have been dealt with severely.

And they say grassroots football is dying........

Why did he need to bet?

Hasn''t he enough money already?

If he''s a bit addicted then there''s always horse racing.

He''s finished his playing career early for what? Was he intent upon cheating in some way? This doesn''t seem to have been established but it''s shady all-round.

He deserves the sentence for being so thick ... amongst other things.