Sign in to follow this  
staffordshire canary

Ruddy and Bennett...

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Russell Martin >>>>> Ryan Bennett

Neither McGovern or Ruddy have covered themselves in much glory this season, hence the chopping and changing of keeper. I expect if McGovern was out of contract he''d also be leaving this summer - as he isn''t Norwich have to hope there is a Scottish club looking for a keeper in the summer[/quote]You missed a few.

The thigh injury affected Ruddy a little, but I''ve felt his problems are psychological.

I can''t remember if it was an official article at the time or just heresay, but I remember reading some very bitter words attributed to big John RE: Dave Watson, former goalkeeping coach.

He was the England national side goalkeeping coach during his tenure here, during which time Ruddy made little international progress and if I remember rightly was very unlucky to have been left out of the tournament squad. I''ve always felt that it was then, that maybe JR lost of a bit of that desire that was a huge part of the Lambert days; he''s only drifted backwards since.

Not a bad keeper, and certainly the best we''ve had these past few years, but a new challenge will be a help to him I think. For us, it gets some premium wages off the books. The right move IMO.

However I will top meself if we start next year with McGovern as first choice. I''d rather have Ben Godfrey in for his height.

"Would like to see either Rudd or Matthews given the chance"

Matthews has been playing well for the Accies this season (with a spell out injured too).

Cue comments re: it''s just a pub league, etc., etc.

Apples

[quote user="cornish sam"]Was it not rumoured Chelsea offered about 10m for ruddy a few years back? Bet we wish we too that now![/quote]Yes it doesn''t seem that long ago that we were all up in arms that Chelsea were trying to nick him and we wanted to make sure they paid big money.Football, eh ?

Rudd, Matthews, McGovern, Jones and Gunn - surely we don''t need 5 keepers!?

If an offer comes in for McGovern and Jones, I can see them leaving.

Mr Apples wrote the following post at 02/05/2017 3:54 PM:

"Would like to see either Rudd or Matthews given the chance"

Matthews has been playing well for the Accies this season (with a spell out injured too).

Would love to see Rudd and Remi as our number one and number two.

Ruddy really hasn''t been all that great for us, he had a very dodgy first season as well as the last couple. Of the other 4 I recall him being very good in our first season back in the PL under Lambert, which lead to his solitary England cap.

The next season was when he got badly injured and missed half a season and it''s universally acclaimed that he went downhill from there.

That would be some commitment to youth (I know Rudd isn''t that young!). He obviously found his pathway to first team appearances blocked by the signing of McGovern, but like many others, I don''t see McGovern as reliable or good enough for what we need (see other thread).

Rudd has always wanted to get game time, hence the number of loans, which is commendable, but the bigger question for me is whether he''s good enough to be first choice.

This news is no big deal, neither player is consistently good enough to warrant a new contract. Neither have covered themselves in glory this season and should have no complaints.

Even with those 7 going there are still, by my calculation, 30 players on the books either in (21), or on the fringes of (9), the first team squad:

3      DF     Mitchell Dijks (loan)4      MF    Graham Dorrans5      DF     Russell Martin (captain)7      FW    Steven Naismith8      MF    Jonny Howson (vice-captain)9      FW    Nélson Oliveira10     FW    Cameron Jerome11     MF    Matt Jarvis13     GK    Paul Jones14     MF    Wes Hoolahan15     DF     Timm Klose17     MF    Yanic Wildschut20     MF    Tony Andreu21     MF    Alex Pritchard22     FW    Jacob Murphy23     DF     Harry Toffolo25     DF     Ivo Pinto27     MF    Alexander Tettey28     MF    James Maddison29     MF    Conor McGrandles30     FW    Carlton

Morris31     FW    Josh Murphy33     GK    Michael McGovern34     MF    Louis Thompson35     MF    Ben Godfrey 37     MF    Ray Grant38     DF     Louis Ramsay43     MF    Glen Middleton--      GK    Declan Rudd--      GK    Remi Matthews

The departures announced today were contractually based; intriguing to see what happens next.

This should come as no surprise. All seven were out of contract and so if they were staying they would have been in contract negotiations way before Webber arrived. Players joining in the summer will those on the way up, with the potential to make it in the PL. Their wages and fee will reflect that, with both being increased if we go up.I sense that those who don''t fit in or knuckle down will be out. I doubt if there will be questions about the team''s fitness or the players hunger either. And rightly so, as many are earning per week what many fans earn in a year. I would also be surprised if any of that seven played on Sunday. Start as you mean to go on will be the watchword I suspect.

Ipswich are always on the lookout for freebies. Could see Lafferty there, although his wages would use all their budget for the next two seasons so maybe not.

Think Ruddy will get a decent club. The rest will be off to Scotland/Ligue 2/League 1, well below the level we''re aspiring to.

Ruddy, Whittaker and Bassong have been good servants at times, I wish them well. The rest? Meh...

"Rudd, Matthews, McGovern, Jones and Gunn - surely we don''t need 5 keepers!?"

Don''t think Bryan gunn has been a keeper for us for a while now.

Hopefully more will follow over the next couple of months:

McGovern

Klose

Tettey

Jarvis

Andreu

Naismith

Charlton, despite languishing in the lower reaches of the table most of the season, have the 7th best defence in L1 on goals conceded, and Dec has started 36 games from 48.

Basic way of looking at it, and I have no other real testimony to say how he''s done generally, but it could be seen as a reasonable marker.

Diane wrote the following post at 2017-05-02 6:39 PM:

City 2nd wrote:
According to club call Ruddy has already left! Don''t expect him to be in the side Sunday!

Have you got a link for that City 2nd, cant find anything on the clubcall website?

Sorry Dianne can''t do the link stuff - but copied and as below:

ClubCall.com - Football and sports news, logo

HOME

BFC

MCFC

LCFC

SFC

THFC

WHUFC

CHAMPIONSHIP

TODAY

Aston Villa v Brighton

May 07, 2017 12:00 PM

Brighton v Bristol City0 - 1

April 29, 2017 5:30 PM

RESULTS

FIXTURES

Championship: Ruddy leaves Norwich

2017-05-02 13:05:00 VIEWS : 0 SOURCE: CLUBCALL

Ruddy leaves Norwich

After not being offered a new deal former England keeper John Ruddy has left the club.

The Canaries are overhauling their squad and the 30-year-old Ruddy has not been offered a new deal so has left after seven years at the club.

Sebastien Bassong, Steven Whittaker, Ryan Bennett, Youssouf Mulumbu, Michael Turner and Kyle Lafferty will also leave Carrow Road, the club has confirmed.

Sporting Director Stuart Webber told the club''s official site: "We''d like to place on record our sincere thanks to all of the players who are moving on for their contribution to the club and wish them all the very best in the next chapter in their careers."

Ruddy joined City from Everton in 2010 and earned an England cap against Italy in 2012 while he made 242 appearances for the Canaries.

Bassong joined from Tottenham in 2012 but had been pushed to the sidelines this season while Bennett, who moved from Peterborough in 2012, has played 119 times for Norwich.

Midfielder Mulumbu has struggled with injuries during his two years in Norfolk while Turner has not played a league game for the club since February 2015 and Lafferty has managed just four goals since 2014.

Ex-Rangers defender Whittaker has played 106 times for Norwich.

[quote user="Ginja"]Absolute music to my ears, good start to the rebuilding process[/quote]

Absolutely.. Bennett has been appalling all season and Ruddy is an expensive keeper who is not that good. Excellent news

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]I would be very surprised if Ruddy, is one of the ''not motivated'' that has been talked about, so perhaps, for other reasons. Shame, but he is 30, and he would be nearly 32, if we got up to the Prem next season. Interesting that Declan Rudd has been offered an extension.[/quote]
Ruddy stays in the Holiday Inn at the ground, the night before every home game, leaving his family at home, so that he can focus and get himself in the right mindset.
You can accuse Ruddy of a lot of things, but lacking motivation is not one of them.
I agree, it is time for the club to move on from John, but he leaves with nothing but good wishes from this fan, and I hope he will get the recognition his service has earned him on Sunday.

We might have re activated Rudd''s contract so we can get a fee for him. If he did well in League 1 last year there should be a host of clubs after a good young keeper at that level. Makes sense, even if it''s only for a low fee.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]Can anyone comment on wherher Rudd has done well during his loan spell?[/quote]
"Manager Karl Robinson has outlined the areas he needs to strengthen at Charlton Athletic to make them successful next term – and he accepts it''s a long shopping list. He revealed he is on the lookout for two goalkeepers, an indication that Declan Rudd – on loan from Norwich City – may be out of his reach as a potential target given the interest for him from clubs higher up the Football League." Sounds as if they would have liked to keep him but recognise they face real competition. all of which suggests Declan has impressed. 

Well, suppose Ruddy is a bit surprising but looking at it pragmatically you can understand all of them.

Ruddy has been a great servant and at least we get to give him a proper goodbye. To be fair, Whittaker Bassong and Turner have all done well for Norwich too.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]I would be very surprised if Ruddy, is one of the ''not motivated'' that has been talked about, so perhaps, for other reasons. Shame, but he is 30, and he would be nearly 32, if we got up to the Prem next season. Interesting that Declan Rudd has been offered an extension.[/quote]That was not what Webber was talking about. It was older players who were signed and not motivated, not older players already with us. Ruddy''s extension, if offered, would require us to be paying him at an earlier agreed wage. To simply extend his contract by a year so we could sell him would make no sense, as any club would have to take on that contract or better it, therefore they would not offer a fee as well. Whether players like Tettey, Jarvis and Martin are loaned out so as to offset some of their wages will have to be seen. But we will have at least taken off the books some of the high earners, and I doubt their replacements will be offered the same level.

Hoggy

"Ruddy has been a great servant and at least we get to give him a proper goodbye. To be fair, Whittaker Bassong and Turner have all done well for Norwich too. "

Indeed and all deserve to go with our best wishes, as I''m sure they will.

Could be an emotional day at FCR

I''ve read alot of Charlton fans tweets this year and Rudd has been criticized a hell of alot. There fans don''t seem convinced. From games he''s played here he''s not shown anything to suggest he can be our No.1.

Remi Matthews has had great reviews from his loan at Hamilton.

Hmm...that would be the same Hamilton that McGovern looked good for? SPL quality is pretty iffy, so I''d not really go on performances there as being too much of a yardstick, though that''s not to say Matthews isn''t a decent keeper.

Rudd has actually had decent write-ups fro what I''ve seen - and the fact the Charlton manager would like to be able to afford him says plenty; yes he''s had some detractors, but who doesn''t in an underperforming side, blame goes to all sorts. I also recall Grayson at PNE really rating him when he was there.

Rudd never made it in his years at CR Cannot imagine us going into the forthcoming season with any of the present keepers as No.1