Sign in to follow this  
staffordshire canary

Ruddy and Bennett...

http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/norwich-city-contracts-3701983.aspx

The players who will be free agents as of June 30 are John Ruddy, Sebastien Bassong, Steven Whittaker, Ryan Bennett, Youssouf Mulumbu, Michael Turner and Kyle Lafferty.

The Club has exercised options to extend the contracts of left-back Harry Toffolo and goalkeeper Declan Rudd for a further year.

I would be very surprised if Ruddy, is one of the ''not motivated'' that has been talked about, so perhaps, for other reasons. Shame, but he is 30, and he would be nearly 32, if we got up to the Prem next season. Interesting that Declan Rudd has been offered an extension.

Great news – let the clearout commence! Now let''s see if we can find takers for McGovern, Tettey, Jarvis and Naismith. Keep Klose, Martin, Howson, Dorrans, Jerome, Oliveira and Hoolahan as our experienced heads, sign a new top-quality keeper, and build the rest of the squad with young and technically gifted players. Bring it on! :)

Absolute music to my ears, good start to the rebuilding process

...and I also applaud the club in announcing this with a game to go so that fans can give these players a final farewell, Bassong, Whittaker, Turner and Ruddy especially have all given us some proud moments amongst to ups and downs, deserve to have a final lap and applause.

thats the out of contract players sorted - just leaves the question of just who and how many of the others will be sold, whether at our instigation or not.

Ruddy is the right thing for me. time for a new challenge and good to get the wages off the books. I wonder whether the Rudd +1 year is more a safety blanket; if we sign a good value first team keeper we can sell either one, if not we can probably cope with Rudd / McGovern next season.

Relieved to see the CB contingent successfully thinned out properly.

I''ve never seen Ruddy as lacking in motivation.  Prone to errors (hardly alone in that although IMO he has been one of our worst offenders for giving away goals) and some way below his best, but not lacking in motivation.

I suspect wages are a big issue for him.

As for Bennett, he''s never quite made it as a first choice CB for us.  We (i.e. our new head coach, as & when appointed) will need to consider how good a CB we can afford to buy from outside, and whether Bennett is good enough to be a squad player at CB and will take sensible wages for it ?

Otherwise assuming Bassong goes, and we sell Klose, and obviously Turner is only still here because he was able to extend his contract and will definitely go.  So if we let Bennett go, we are looking at getting in a completely new lineup at CB, unless we''re going to keep RM in that position.  People need to be realistic about how much money we have for these signings.

[quote user="king canary"]I wonder if Toffolo and Rudd start on Sunday.[/quote]

Both are still on season long loans, so no.

The Pink Un article says it''s Ruddy''s wages which led to him going, not his performances. I wonder if he got a big pay rise when Chelsea were sniffing around? In hindsight we should have taken the money and bought Forster.

Chelsea did make an offer for Ruddy which Norwich knocked back (and fans seemed universally happy about) but it was £6m not £10m - which is how much Southampton had to pay for Forster.

Ruddy never seemed to recover from the thigh injury he suffered against Everton - although getting knocked back from England also seemed to take a toll as well.

Not sure if it is wages alone that stopped to club activating the extension in his contract, if they really wanted to keep him they could just open new contract talks on a lower wage. The whole getting into a fight in Norwich and failure to string together a sustained run of form suggests there are other factors at play as well.

According to club call Ruddy has already left! Don''t expect him to be in the side Sunday!

[quote user="tired"]http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/norwich-city-contracts-3701983.aspx

The players who will be free agents as of June 30 are John Ruddy, Sebastien Bassong, Steven Whittaker, Ryan Bennett, Youssouf Mulumbu, Michael Turner and Kyle Lafferty.

The Club has exercised options to extend the contracts of left-back Harry Toffolo and goalkeeper Declan Rudd for a further year.[/quote]

The (Not so) Magnificent Seven.

[quote user="City 2nd"]According to club call Ruddy has already left! Don''t expect him to be in the side Sunday![/quote]

Have you got a link for that City 2nd, cant find anything on the clubcall website?

It''s hard to argue with many of these - most have put in a decent shift for us at one point or another and go with our best wishes. I''d have liked to keep Ruddy, but if his contract was prohibitive and he didn''t want to take a pay cut, I guess that''s that (and as Bethnal says, there may have been other factors at play).

I reckon several of these guys will find Champs sides to go to, hopefully they won''t come back and haunt us but for sure they seem have run their course with NCFC.

If we are looking for a no1 next season, imo we could do worse than try to get Rob Green back.

Wouldn''t be at all surprised to see young Angus Gunn here on a season long loan?

[quote user="Ray"]Wouldn''t be at all surprised to see young Angus Gunn here on a season long loan?[/quote]

"Loan Gunn for hire" will be the Pinkun headline.

My guess would be Rudd is given the chance to make that no1 spot his own, if not pointless extending his contract

Would like to see either Rudd or Matthews given the chance

As for the players leaving, it seems high earners have clearly been targeted

Not pointless extending Rudd''s deal even if the club don''t intend to play him. He has built up a decent reputation and the club could probably get a fee for him from another Championship/League One team.

With Ruddy/Bennett etc their high wages was stopping moves to other teams meaning they had to be released rather than sold. With such a large amount of new players needed squeezing even small fees for the likes of Rudd or Toffolo could be vital.

thats probably worth somewhere between 6 to 8 million a year in wages

disappointed to see ruddy and bennett go, would rather see martin and mcgovern shipped out

Russell Martin > Ryan Bennett

Neither McGovern or Ruddy have covered themselves in much glory this season, hence the chopping and changing of keeper. I expect if McGovern was out of contract he''d also be leaving this summer - as he isn''t Norwich have to hope there is a Scottish club looking for a keeper in the summer