Sign in to follow this  
FenwayFrank

Live streaming for overseas supporters

http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-live-streaming-platform-ifollow-unveiled-for-global-fans-3703898.aspx?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Sorry can''t do clicky, £110 for every game streamed live is a good deal

You know what they say in the financial world: "If it sounds too good to be true, it almost certainly is".  OK, the intention is there; will it actually be delivered with the quality promised? Great news if it is, but as far as IT goes, neither club nor EFL fill me with much confidence. Anyway, it''s only going to be another "dodgy stream" so won''t get us plastics taken any more seriously on here ........... [;)]

Game changer for the exiles. Pay for service and use a von to fool it into thinking you''re abroad, or watch on normal streaming sites where the games will certainly appear. No more radio norfolk.

[quote user="Syteanric"]or theres Kodi and TVturk... which are free...[/quote]
...which don''t have every game for your club in the Championship and in HD. This will and I''m happy to pay, shame it won''t be available in the UK, not that geo-restrictions have ever stopped me [;)]

[quote user="Van wink"]Is a Von a VPN ?[/quote]
Yeah, sorry, was typing on my phone and it auto-corrected me.
Kodi etc are fine, but I''d rather pay the extra for HD and streams that don''t cut out/buffer at regular intervals. Definitely worth it imo

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Van wink"]Is a Von a VPN ?[/quote]
Yeah, sorry, was typing on my phone and it auto-corrected me.
Kodi etc are fine, but I''d rather pay the extra for HD and streams that don''t cut out/buffer at regular intervals. Definitely worth it imo
[/quote]
This. I''d happily pay double what they''ve asked for.

[quote user="kick it off"]Game changer for the exiles. Pay for service and use a von to fool it into thinking you''re abroad, or watch on normal streaming sites where the games will certainly appear. No more radio norfolk.[/quote]No more ''interesting'' comments from Paul McVeigh. And why would you pay through the nose to Sky if you only want to watch your PL club.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-live-streaming-platform-ifollow-unveiled-for-global-fans-3703898.aspx?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Sorry can''t do clicky, £110 for every game streamed live is a good deal[/quote]

I thought £110 per game seemed a bit steep! Then I read the article.

I think there is technology which will prevent a VPN from working.

I spend quite a lot of time abroad and use a vpn regularly, it will always access BBCi, skygo, but can never get BT sports, it''s always. blocked, have tried several different Vpn''s but always the same result.

Perhaps somebody knows about the technology?

A way for clubs to make money off of a portion of their fanbase that either live abroad and can''t go to games or simply have no intention of going to see most games live but watch streams (gotta be 1000''s), have a basic level of tech know how and would prefer to watch in HD. Good idea imo.

Assuming the club gets a nice chunk of that 110 per package sold it''s a really sensible way of offering something worth paying for to the more casual among our fanbase who don''t regularly put money into the club. I think the number of subscriptions from overseas supporters would be much larger than that as well

You''d also imagine we''d make more money off of our matchday/shirt/hoarding etc sponsors as each game would be seen by a larger audience around the world. Same applies to every club, but it''s down to that club how wisely they use the extra cash.

The amount earned would be meagre in terms to a football club nowadays of course, especially one with parachute payments but it''s just part of the reason why I''ve thought something like this would be a good idea for years. The main reason is because it just makes sense.

It does seem as if the intent is more about developing new support around the world than satisfying those already supporting UK clubs.It maybe common in the US and Australia but the distances between clubs/stadiums is far greater than the UK so it would have less impact on away fans. I presume all monies will go into a common pot and then divided out equally, as with the PL. I would suggest that all this EXTRA income is used to cut ticket prices for fans rather than going into the playing budget. The reason being that if all clubs do receive the same money then all it will do is raise player wages, as in the PL.

"with iFollow showing every EFL league match live unless that match has been selected by the EFL’s overseas broadcast partners" - so if, say, the Guatemalan Broadcasting Corporation decide to show a game, it won''t be available on iFollow?

This has yet again made my blood boil why do anything to encourage these extreme plastics.

Get them to support their local team instead of hanging around our club like a bad smell

You can jump off a bridge Chihauhau, as far as I''m concerned!!! It is not always something you choose for! I have had to work abroad for a long time, doing my part for the British economy. Does that mean I can''t be a supporter of my club , which I have been supporting since I was 6 years old!

Shows how much of a quiwotic dumber you are.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]You can jump off a bridge Chihauhau, as far as I''m concerned!!! It is not always something you choose for! I have had to work abroad for a long time, doing my part for the British economy. Does that mean I can''t be a supporter of my club , which I have been supporting since I was 6 years old!

Shows how much of a quiwotic dumber you are.[/quote]
Don''t get worked up mate, it''s just another sad Waveney troll account, best just to complete ignore the tw*t.

[quote user="They call me the Chihauhau"]This has yet again made my blood boil why do anything to encourage these extreme plastics.

Get them to support their local team instead of hanging around our club like a bad smell[/quote]
[:D]

Nuff Said,

Correct, if a TV company in the territory you are in have paid to broadcast a game it won''t be on iFollow.

This could severely reduce the number of games a subscriber can actually watch across a season if you are in somewhere such as America or Australia, where I understand Championship games are televised every-week.

Would seem more sensible to have this as a pay-per-view for each game meaning fans don''t end up shelling out for games they can''t actually watch.

Most clubs have this on their page
WITHIN the next six weeks we will be launching a new website. This website will feature a range

of new features, including a new name for our Player HD service which

will become iFollow brand. 
The new

iFollow service will continue to contain all the great features of

Player HD,  and as a fan outside of the UK you will have the opportunity

to live stream full video coverage of selected games* played by your

club from the start of the 17/18 season. This is not available as part

of any iFollow subscription during the remaining period of the 2016/17

season. 
iFollow will be the only place you can get online commentary of all of our games next season.
But, as yet, nothing from Norwich

It is about time. There is an enormous market out there for ex pats and I''m sure there will be a way to watch it in the UK.

Of course this might upset one or two who still believe if Norfolk is flat then they will fall off the world at Beccles.

SC,

While many clubs show 90min highlights on their Player website, none show games live as that would be against the broadcast rights agreement the EFL have signed with Sky.

Norwich are signed up to the Player, which is owned by the EFL, so any improvements made will automatically happen on CanaryPlayer. The club is responsible for uploading the content though.

I suspect VPNs etc won''t work on iFollow, you will probably also need to provide registration info with an overseas address and potentially pay with an overseas bank account - depends how seriously they are going to take the enforcement.

What it does mean though is that every 3pm EFL game is now going to be streamed someone not so legal on the internet, so like the Premier League every game should now be available for an armchair fan with internet access and a lack of morals when it comes to broadcasting rights.

It''s basically the same model as NFL Game pass that I subscribe to. Pay a yearly fee and you have access to every NFL game, across every team, apart from the ones that Sky Sports are showing. Works really well.

Surely the money with have to go into a central pot for equal redistribution across all the teams in the league, otherwise we''re moving away from the collective bargaining/rights selling that tries to keep things fair (otherwise the big teams get bigger and the small teams struggle more).

Also van wink, VPN blocking is almost always done through black listing of IP addresses of known VPN servers, I just think that where BBC and sky have to either maintain their own list or buy a commercial package BT can have a more exhaustive list that updates quicker through their visibility of the infrastructure.

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="Syteanric"]or theres Kodi and TVturk... which are free...[/quote]
...which don''t have every game for your club in the Championship and in HD. This will and I''m happy to pay, shame it won''t be available in the UK, not that geo-restrictions have ever stopped me [;)]
[/quote]

Yes it will be on Kodi for free... because someone will just stream from the channel through all the services available.

FYI if you decide to illegally stream these games rather than pay for a service that actually raises money for the club you lose all right to complain about anything the club do.