Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Can someone help me with Canariesworld?

Hi everyone!

Ever since I connected to the Northampton game last night on Canariesworld I now get the following message on my PC...

" You are using CoDeeN content distribution networ(CDN) CoDeeN is a pulling-based CDN deployed at PlanetLab with the goal of improving web performance. CoDeen is open to public use, but we are closely monitoring all the activities for security purpose. So, please don''t try abusing it or your future access will be disabled without notice. OK. Have fun browsing through CoDeen!. You will be redirected to the page you have just requested in ten seconds."

Has anyone else had this? This only happened after I listened to the commentary.

I have emailed CanariesWorld but as yet have had no reply! HELP!

Not sure you will get much help from Canaries World. Sounds like some kind of adware to me. You could run an adaware type scan and empty everything from your temporary internet folder. Do you have a firewall? If yes, you should be able to block that particular internet site - I assume it is coming up in Explorer. If it really bugs you, you could set explorer so that it asks you to verify all sites you open but this could be a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

http://codeen.cs.princeton.edu/

Sounds like a hybrid P2P/download accelator, although I didn''t concentrate too much.

Some suggestions (if you''re using Internet Explorer/Windows)

[Windows ] Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > look for something called Codeen or PlanetLab

or

[Internet Explorer] Tools menu > Options > Connections... if you''re on broadband, click LAN settings -- the Proxy Server may be ticked, in which case you can click Advanced and see what proxies are set. In which case, delete them.

or

[Internet Explorer] Tools menu > Options > Programs > Manage Add-Ons - and look for something that may be called Codeen or PlanetLab

or

maybe something in your Network Connections.

or

Try something like Microsoft Anti Spyware (XP and maybe Windows 2000 only), Ad-Aware or Spybot

Do you have XP Canary boy ?  one of the real handy facilities it has  is the "RESTORE " function  where you can  jump back to before you copped the adware et al ,  Ive used it a few times  to get rid of  bloody  popups  [ why don`t they p**s off  ? ]   some of these adware/ spyware   thingies refuse to be  deleted  by  the " Add , remove "   function 

I have had NTL for 5 years now ..... true they  were crap back then , but  now they are pretty good !   they have got a grip  on a lot of  virus etc  , my email is clear of spam [ almost ]   and I havent downloaded ANY  anti virus software  / firewalls  etc , which , I believe  propagate  more of the crap  they purport to prevent !!

Thanks everybody, I will try all your suggestions. Strange that it only happened after the commentary...never seen it before!

Yes, I do have XP, Norton IS 2005, plus Ad-aware & Spybot and I know about the System Restore so I''ll check them all out.

Many thanks....weird one that!