Sign in to follow this  
Tumbleweed

A special time

Apologies, not wholly NCFC related but watching the RM v Athletico game tonight made me realise that we are so lucky at the moment to witness Ronaldo and of course Messi in their pomp. Just awesome. Sometimes you know that you will never see the like again.

So a little link to Lafferty, Whittaker, Turner and Bennett. Good releases by Webber today. Sometimes you hope you will never see the like again.

If you think back over the last 20 or so years of being a City fan, and genuinely believe any of Whittaker, Turner or Bassong belong to be classed as ''Hope you never see the like again'', then you either weren''t paying much attention, or have a very short memory.

Get over your entitlement. They''ve all played a role in a very good era for the club.

Best of luck to ''em all.

Tumbleweed, whilst I agree with your sentiments on Messi, I cannot bring myself to watch any game where the "winker" is involved. To my mind he is a cheat of the highest order and his antics 11 years ago should be consigned to the cheats gallery of international football. People like him who don''t apologise for their blatant cheating have no right to be idolised. Same goes for Morten Gamst Pedersen in 2009.

On a slightly lighter note, it looks like the various sculptors who have depicted him, have a sadistic sense of humour. They have also managed to portray him as a pretentious panjamdrum!

But didn''t Rooney clearly stamp on Carvalaho that day?

They are both great players, the true greats of this era, but for me Messi is still head and shoulders above Ronaldo - however I think they are completely different style of player so comparisons aren''t necessarily fair

Agreed re Ronaldo, but he is hypnotic to watch as a pantomime villain! But 400 goals for Real Madrid is incredible, 44 hat tricks or something. Messi seems much more likeable as a character, and yes a different player. But I think we are lucky to be living through this time when we get to see them both in action and can tell the grandkids all about them......

I regale my sons with stories of the ''93 era- perhaps the NCFC equivalent of a special time which may not come around ever again but for those who lived through it a really great experience as a city fan.

And ?, try not to read everything too literally mate. Good luck to those guys but the last few years have been a defensive shambles and young Kyle a bizarre signing that worked for neither us nor him.

I am the same about the 93 era Tumbleweed. The Lambert years were exciting but the skill and quality of play in that 92/93 team was (for me) the best I am likely to see. It was actually unbelievable at the time and the pride remains today.

"we are so lucky at the moment to witness Ronaldo and of course Messi in their pomp"I was lucky enough to be in a period of greats like  Pele, Best, Charlton and even Keelan ! 

So the heat of the moment reaction of a 21 year old Ronaldo to Rooney''s stamp on a Portuguese team mate is more heinous than the conviction and prison sentence for tax fraud of a 27 year old, reputedly earning 40M Euros a year? One really does wonder sometimes about people''s values.

But its not just a heat of the moment reaction, is it? Cheating is a fundamental part of Ronaldo''s game just as it was of Maradona''s.Hand of God was so extraordinary because of the situation and was so blatent on that occassion but it was nothing unusual - cheating was an integral part of Maradona''s game.Yes, both had remarkable skill but IMO neither rate as great players because that must be totally incompatible with being consistent cheats.

A special time........ because we have been able to witness the brilliance of Wessi, and just as it he starts to show his age, almost seamlessly along comes Pritchard. Clearly special times.

Will be interesting to see if Wes can adjust his playing style to enable him to continue to be a very influential player but to accommodate his age, a bit like Giggs did.

With Hoolahan, his game has never been about pace or physicality - the 2 traits you would expect to diminish with age.

I still think he has another few years left in him