Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Summer of upheaval - incl Howson?

Lol. People who think he''s "anonymous" when playing a deeper-lying midfield role are clearly those who spend the whole game shouting "shoot" whenever anyone''s within 45 yards of the opposition goal, wait for Russell Martin to make a mistake so they can boo him, yet applaud "quality" Klose for making an 8-yard pass.

Howson is a very versatile, intelligent and committed footballer who can play more than one midfield role well,

has a tremendous engine and is technically gifted. Would be very disappointed to see him go, and wouldn''t anticipate us signing a better CM for the money remaining on his contract.

@Ian

Howson is a very versatile, intelligent and committed footballer who can play more than one midfield role well,

has a tremendous engine and is technically gifted. Would be very disappointed to see him go, and wouldn''t anticipate us signing a better CM for the money remaining on his contract

Exactly this, spot on Ian i just don''t get this anti Howson rubbish.

Other people''s opinions are not rubbish . We all watch the same player , but seemingly are feeling differently about his value to the cause .

I will say again , if we were to be offered a decent price , get shot . He has been part and parcel of the last two years failures, he is not exempt , nobody has been knocking the door down trying to buy him up until now ,,, why is that I wonder 🙄

Barclay seats;

Other people''s opinions are not rubbish . We all watch the same player , but seemingly are feeling differently about his value to the cause .

I will say again , if we were to be offered a decent price , get shot . He has been part and parcel of the last two years failures, he is not exempt , nobody has been knocking the door down trying to buy him up until now ,,, why is that I wonder 🙄

Too easy to say that every player is part and parcel of the last 2 years, therefor show them the door. The players play to the style and game plan set out by the management team. Cant think of more than about 3 or 4 games where Howson didn''t perform in the last 2 years, if anyone should be exempt i would suggest Howson is probably the one! IMO

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]@Ian

has a tremendous engine and is technically gifted. Would be very disappointed to see him go, and wouldn''t anticipate us signing a better CM for the money remaining on his contract

Exactly this, spot on Ian i just don''t get this anti Howson rubbish.[/quote]

I don''t really think you can describe crticising a player as being "anti".   The bigger point has to be why we have been performing so inconsistently this season - and Howson has been a member of that team more often than not. Yes, he was missing through some of it, but then we''ve been stuttering with him in the team too.  None of the players can escape criticism this season.   People talk about the defence, but the midfield has been lax many times in covering back. The 1-5 away to Sheff Wed was on paper pretty much our strongest team.....I like him, he has class (who will ever forget that goal) and has been a great servant of the club, but the harsh realities is that defensivly as a team we have been struggling - and the sucker punch goals are often as a result of  bad team work across the pitch, not just the back four.  Questions have to be asked of all the players and the culture of being seen as a team that gives away soft goals has to change and Howson is a key member of a team that has been inconsistent and guilty of having a soft side to it.  If change is to be meaningful, it has to go right through the squad - no-one is exempt from the criticism. 

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Howson was player of the season last season, didn''t hear anyone object at the time, so suggest was deserved, this season has been our most consistent player[/quote]That''s fair enough, but what about the defensive issues and our soft centre? Is he not part of that too - like all the players?  Some of the midfield covering back has been atrocious this season, is he not part of that?  Those that go every week could answer that better than me, but even from what I''ve seen this season, Howson isn''t immune from criticism.

Perhaps Howson is at his best when in a 4-1-4-1 formation.  With a solid and dependable DM, it would give him a bit more licence to get forwards - a Howson on form next to Pritchard in central midfied could be a potent pairing, but it relies on a DM that is prepared to sit back and stay there a bit more than we are used to seeing.   The changes that are to come about are going to be interesting - but they have to be ruthess - if he is seen to be part of the malaise defensively, then he should maybe be sold on - we have plenty of midfelders.  If not, he has to be played in his best position.

It''s easy to criticise JH when you hit the nail on the head LDC, in that if he is played in his best position!

What people who are bashing Howson seem to be forgetting is that the guy has been used in so many different positions it is no surprise if he doesn''t have a great game for example when played on the right!

But, just like Hoolahan, when Howson isn''t playing he is missed immensely imo

He has his shortcomings and sometimes it''s a bit like he can never do enough. He has to score, create, track back, tackle and generally "boss" the midfield otherwise he has gone missing.

On the issue of our soft centre... you should defend as a team but defenders are there to defend. Our biggest weakness is our defence.

Like I said , it''s all about opinions . In my mind , he is part of what has been perceived as the " premier league quality squad"

What none sense that turned out to be .

I go to every home game and some away games , and do not believe that he is irreplaceable, and certainly not an absolutely integral part of our teams success .

I agree with baldyboy and others making similar comments.

Jonny Howson may not always stand out in games (unless he''s volleying in a worldy a la forest), but the team is. Dry significantly weaker in many ways when he isn''t playing.

Howson was missing for the vast majority of our horrific winless run of memory serves me correctly. Coincidence? Maybe, possibly, but I don''t think it was.

Mr J Howson is in my opinion an essential chunk of vertebrae in the spine of the NCFC team......Anyone who disagrees with my opinion isn''t familiar with the complicated orthopaedics of soccerkickyfootyball......FACT!

Leave our Yorkshire Jonny Howson marrowbone alone.....

The obvious problem in getting rid of Howson is replacing him.

There isn''t anyone I can think of as good a player as him overall who''d be willing to come to us. That''s not to say one doesn''t exist but Howson is one of the best midfielder in the league.

I do agree with some posts that he doesn''t necessarily control a game how you think he''s capable of doing but how often has he been the worst or one of the worst players on the pitch during his time here? It''s got to be no more than a handful.