Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Summer of upheaval - incl Howson?

Silly season has already started - rumours of us signing Vincent Aboubakar from Besiktas and today James Nursey suggesting that we are looking to sell JH for the right price.

Its gonna a be a long hot summer (per style council)

Apologies for the lack of clicky.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/norwich-city-preparing-shop-skipper-10358116

Don''t think there is much in this article - seems to basically say if a Premier League club makes a big offer that we''ll consider it, which I''d imagine to be true for all in our squad.

Howson would be one of the ones we should be looking to keep but if we get a good offer then we would have to consider it I guess

Playing devil''s advocate here but...

If Webber decides he wants Norwich to also play the high intensity game like he wanted at Huddersfield, you have to ask yourself if this is something Howson could do?

Also, he turns 29 in a couple of weeks, probably one of Norwich''s highest earners and probably someone a decent fee could be received for. If you act completely logically then yes, Webber might feel he is someone to cash in on while the club still can. Summer 2018 Howson will be 30 with one year left on his deal, Norwich wouldn''t be able to expect any significant sum of money for him then.

I think Nursey is scratching around for ''news'' now that Webber is feeding other media contacts. Yes we want to clear out the overpaid passengers but Howson is definitely not one of them. I expect Naismith to leave at the right price. He''s the wrong side of 30 and his wages far too high.

Never really got the howson love-in on here. Think he''s a pretty average player. There''s not many times a season where I come away thinking he was brilliant. Mostly a 6/10 every week. He doesn''t really excel in any attribute. Just ok at most. If we got a decent offer I''d definitely sell and bring in a younger, quicker & stronger replacement.

Where does the cull stop?    In my mind, of the matches I''e seen this season, Howson has sometimes been inneffectual and gone missing.   Wes can still be a pain if not on form.   Tettey can be less than effective and you have to question if Martin is the right man to carry on as captain.  So of our players the only ones who could feel secure imo are - Basil, Jerome, Naismith, the Murphys, Pinto, Maddison and Pritchard. Those are our best attacking options too.  Wildschut and Dorrans maybe should be kept too - Dijks too if we can keep him. So we could be looking at a whole new central defence and goalkeeper as well as defensive midfielders.

I always thought that of the Leeds brigade we missed the most talented and that was Clayton.

I think Howson is a good player and can link play quite well but he never stamps his authority on the game. When a player is on fire he normally stands out but Howson doesn''t seem to raise his profile.

Of course a good offer, provided it suits the player, should be accepted.

Howson''s been one of our most consistent performers. It''s more about playing the right person alongside him. We must improve the DM position. Tetty is an athlete but that''s about it, passing and technique is woeful. We''ve not had a decent DM since Safri.

[quote user="Feel The Force"]Howson''s been one of our most consistent performers. It''s more about playing the right person alongside him. We must improve the DM position. Tetty is an athlete but that''s about it, passing and technique is woeful. We''ve not had a decent DM since Safri.[/quote]

How about Darel Russell?

[quote user="king canary"]David Fox did a pretty good job too.

@ldc- why is Naismith feeling so secure in your opinion?[/quote]

In a young team you need one or two experienced players who have the authority and character to keep things on track when things get tough. If we got rid of Naismith and/or Martin, I don''t know where that experience - and character -  is going to come from.

Bradley Johnson went for £6.5m. If we could get around that (ideally a little more) for Jonny I would be pleased. He is a dependable, very consistent midfielder at this level and capable of being a Prem player. If you watch him, he hardly ever gives the ball away. He sometimes doesn''t stand out as a flair player. Yet he is committed and if we had 10 of his ilk in the team we would be an exceptional team.

I''ve often wondered if his heart lies truly in Leeds and not Norfolk. But he has shown loyalty and perhaps he can at least call Norwich his 2nd home? The message on the Pinkun and in the press must be there to create interest. Perhaps Webber is behind this and it shows his direction of travel.

I wouldn''t want to sell him as I think he''s a good player and it would also send out entirely the wrong message. Our front 6 or 7 are plenty good enough and I hope that Webber does not get carried away and break up the squad unnecessarily.

That said, Howson is a player who I think can flatter to deceive a bit. He''s technically excellent and can have some brilliant games but he can also be totally anonymous rather too often for my liking and I struggle to think of many games where he has really bossed the midfield. I could see the rationale for cashing in on a big offer (if we got one) although on balance I would prefer to keep him.

He''s one of our most talented players so he''d be hard to replace. I do agree that he doesn''t necessarily always make his mark on games where you think he''d be capable of doing so, I think it''s something AN raised early on with him.

What I find more bizarre is that LDC thinks Wes can be a ''pain when not in form'', yet £50k a week Naismith can feel ''secure''. Who''s offered more to Norwich City since Naismith joined us?

[quote user="hogesar"]He''s one of our most talented players so he''d be hard to replace. I do agree that he doesn''t necessarily always make his mark on games where you think he''d be capable of doing so, I think it''s something AN raised early on with him.

What I find more bizarre is that LDC thinks Wes can be a ''pain when not in form'', yet £50k a week Naismith can feel ''secure''. Who''s offered more to Norwich City since Naismith joined us?[/quote]

Or maybe it''s a case of who''s got more to offer going into the future as a regular first team player, a 30 year old or a soon to be 35 year old.

It''s testimony to JH''s attitude and character that he has contributed so much to our success in the time he''s been here while virtually never being played in the position in which he excelled as captain of Leeds -- as an attacking midfielder playing behind a CF. Never purporting to be a defensive midfielder, he has nevertheless played wherever he has been asked. How can a player be expected to stamp his authority on games in those circumstances? Clubs will be queueing up to sign him if we are genuinely prepared to let him go, Lambert''s Wolves for one.

I personally don''t get the idolisation of JH . In and out of games , one good one in four at best . If anybody wants to pay for him , I think it would be good business .

The telling fact is that nobody seems to have made any fuss publicly of wanting to buy him up until now .

I think Howson''s a Mike Phelan-type player, i.e. He did an awful lot does a lot that went unnoticed by many; one of the guys you only realise when they''ve gone. I think Dorrans is also one of those sorts of players - perhaps it''s just that kind-of role.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]It''s testimony to JH''s attitude and character that he has contributed so much to our success in the time he''s been here while virtually never being played in the position in which he excelled as captain of Leeds -- as an attacking midfielder playing behind a CF. Never purporting to be a defensive midfielder, he has nevertheless played wherever he has been asked. How can a player be expected to stamp his authority on games in those circumstances? Clubs will be queueing up to sign him if we are genuinely prepared to let him go, Lambert''s Wolves for one.[/quote]

I really disagree with the suggestion that he''s better as an attacking midfielder. Games really pass him by when he plays there. I think he is better making runs from the more deep lying position he has played in for us recently. That said he still has too many quiet games for my liking. He good enough to have more influence, more often.

I tend to agree, he''s a more traditional box to box midfielder who will score goals by getting in good positions. However, I do think his attacking prowess is wasted by how we play him, but given we have the Murphys, Pritchard, Naismith and Wes playing in those forward midfield positions, we need him to play the deeper role with Tettey or Dorrans.

As a player he naturally suits playing in a more traditional midfield four where he can get up and down the pitch. If we continue to play the 4-2-3-1 with our fullbacks bombing on then he might not really fit. We need a solid base which means curbing his natural instincts to bomb on and thus reducing his effectiveness.

[quote user="Woodman"]I tend to agree, he''s a more traditional box to box midfielder who will score goals by getting in good positions. However, I do think his attacking prowess is wasted by how we play him, but given we have the Murphys, Pritchard, Naismith and Wes playing in those forward midfield positions, we need him to play the deeper role with Tettey or Dorrans.[/quote]My point was that he has been forced to become "a more traditional box to box midfielder who will score by getting into good positions" through being denied the opportunity to play in the position from which he frequently DID impose himself on games as young captain of Leeds. I''m not suggesting he could now revert, just that he has uncomplainingly paid a price in the five and a half seasons he has been our player.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I think Howson''s a Mike Phelan-type player, i.e. He did an awful lot does a lot that went unnoticed by many; one of the guys you only realise when they''ve gone. I think Dorrans is also one of those sorts of players - perhaps it''s just that kind-of role.[/quote]Exactly - our horrendous run before Christmas coincided exactly with Howson''s absence through injury.Some people may not notice him in some games but that''s because they''re not looking closely enough - we are almost always a better side with him than we are without him.Every player has his price but he''d be pretty much the last one in the squad I''d be prepared to part with.

Just how many games do you actually watch LDC? That''s not a dig I just wonder where you actually come up with these nuggets from?

Would be a Fu.ckin disaster imo if we let Howson go. There are a few players,Pinto, Howson, Pritchard. Naismith, Olly who we should be building the team around next season.