Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Starting eleven for next season

RuddPinto   Martin         ?      Toffolo          Thompson GodfreyMurphy    Nasmith      Pritchard                   Oliveira              Naismith and Martin are still  key figures  imo in what would be a young team.  Will of course get some other players in, but even without, we still have a great looking line up in prospect, refreshing and forward looking.

If you honestly think we''ll only have one new signing in the starting xi next season your mad.

If Martin is still starting I''ll be tearing my hair out.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Most pointless thread ever, no surprise it comes from you[/quote]

Thanks mate [Y] , however, speculating as to what might be the starting eleven next season is going to grow from here on in. 

Firstly, with at least 10 new players likely to arrive over the summer the idea of looking at a squad now is madness.

Secondly, The idea that Toffolo and Godfrey are ready for starting roles in a team pushing from promotion from the Championship is laughable. Toffolo ended up as 2nd choice at Scunthorpe this season. To be honest I believe the club activated Rudd and Toffolo''s contract extensions just so they could get a small fee when they sell them to League One clubs in the summer.

Absolutely. If Toff was that good they''d have put him on a longer contract.

Lakey, I do think it''s far too early. There are big changes afoot. Of your list, I think only Oliveira and (crossed fingers) Pritchard might be certain starters. I couldn''t guess at the rest at this moment.

No point with this as we don''t know who will actually be here!

Maybe try again on August 1st, Lakey!

[quote user="sonyc"]Lakey, I do think it''s far too early. There are big changes afoot. Of your list, I think only Oliveira and (crossed fingers) Pritchard might be certain starters. I couldn''t guess at the rest at this moment.[/quote]

Agree it''s early, but looking at the cull that is likely to happen, it is just a starting point.  Once we start getting new players in, things will develop......but we''ve been wishing lots of new players in for years...and it doesn''t usually happen like we want or expect.   Irvine has said the squad is too big, so a smaller squad looks likely next season, so people expecting lots of new faces might be disappointed - as per usual.  A few in maybe, but imo there will still be a lot of familiar faces in the team at the start of next season.  (Just realised of course Naismith won''t be in the first two games anyway...) 

A pointless exercise until the season begins. It''s going to be a summer of change at the Carra as we all know. If we ever field a side like that I''d be amazed.

?

Pinto ? ? Dijks

Howson ?

Murphy Wes Pritchard

Oliveira

Signings needed in most areas. Hope we can keep hold of Dijks as we''ve seen how he can bully anyone (in the championship at least). I don''t get the Howson story as feel he brings a lot of energy and link up play to the team, just needs a proper DM next to him to sit and hold. Wes is still our most consistently creative player but has very good competition from a recently impressive Pritchard and hungry Maddison. Both Murphys to continue their improvement and add some missing consistency to their all round game. Oliveira to simply carry on as he has been when fit.

[quote user="lake district canary"]                   RuddPinto   Martin         ?      Toffolo          Thompson GodfreyMurphy    Nasmith      Pritchard                   Oliveira              Naismith and Martin are still  key figures  imo in what would be a young team.  Will of course get some other players in, but even without, we still have a great looking line up in prospect, refreshing and forward looking.

[/quote]

Rather than shout you down, I will ask you a hypothetical question. Where do you think that team would finish in the Championship if it started all 46 games? Fill in the ? with a player equal to Martin''s ability at CB.

[quote user="mighty yellow"][quote user="lake district canary"]                                        RuddPinto   Martin         ?      Toffolo          Thompson GodfreyMurphy    Nasmith      Pritchard                   Oliveira              Naismith and Martin are still  key figures  imo in what would be a young team.  Will of course get some other players in, but even without, we still have a great looking line up in prospect, refreshing and forward looking.

[/quote]

Rather than shout you down, I will ask you a hypothetical question. Where do you think that team would finish in the Championship if it started all 46 games? Fill in the ? with a player equal to Martin''s ability at CB.[/quote]

Given that the front four in that team have been prolific recently, I would expect us to score plenty with that lineup - and with Thompson and Godfrey establishing themselves, I can see the makings of a good defensive midfield there.   Toffolo, granted is a question mark, but with a good CB next to Martin and good covering back from midfield, I can see that team being good enough for the play offs.  With any additions that we will obviously be getting to develop the team/squad, then that will hopefully push the team to the top.  Don''t assume what we have is not good enough.  The young players are the future.

Ridiculous speculation Lakey and amazed you think we will only have a couple of ? in your line up.

You baffle me LDC I must say. Toffolo is the only question mark? Rudd, Godfrey, Thompson all dead certs then?

So you think that Tettey,Dorrans,Howson,Wildschut, Hoolahan and Jerome will all be gone or sitting on the bench then Lakey and Dijks will also disappear ?

@Bethnal10 players coming in? I''d like to see your inventory of where they''ll fit in, e.g. 2 GK, 2/3 CB, etc. And since challenging for promotion next season presumably remains an objective, meaning we need better than those who are going, how many of that 10 are likely to be loans?

People seem to be naturally assuming we will line up with the same formation as this year.

From a different perspective, with the right additions and right retentions, we could favour a back 5 with wing backs, and two up front- leaving little room for 3 professional wingers in Murphy x2 and Wildschut.

Like others have said, there''s almost no way to tell which way the club will swing this summer.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]So you think that Tettey,Dorrans,Howson,Wildschut, Hoolahan and Jerome will all be gone or sitting on the bench then Lakey and Dijks will also disappear ?[/quote]

Well to start with Tilly, my line up is only going on what we have now and of course there will be new faces too.    As for the above, Wildschut I should imagine will stay around, as will Jerome, but as for Tettey, Howson, Hoolahan and Dorrans - well you tell me - do they warrant places after the hot and cold displays of this season?   Or is the wind of change going to rattle their cages?  I like Dorrans as a player and believe he would stay as a useful and versatile player, but the others have been here a long time.....

Wouldn''t it be better to have a speculative go at what the squad will look like?

As it stands, the ''first team'' squad is:

GKs - Rudd, McGovern, Jones, Matthews

Defenders - Pinto, Martin, Klose, Toffolo, Godfrey

Midfielders - Howson, Tettey, Wes, Dorrans, Murphy x2, Wildschut, Maddison, Thomson, Pritchard, Jarvis

Strikers - Jerome, Oliveira, Naismith, Morris

I think that means we need 2 CBs and a left back, but I would like to see us sign a striker, especially if Naismith does go. We should look at players like Tammy Abraham, who has looked great for Bristol. I suspect a loan fee for him would be near £2m though.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Most pointless thread ever, no surprise it comes from you[/quote]^^This^^We

haven''t yet appointed a first team coach, let alone had a chance to

make a foray into the transfer market. There is no guarantee that the

new head coach will want to play with 1 up top, or even 4 at the back.But hat''s off, great trolling LDC, as per.

I just can''t get my head around a thought process that says Naismith is sitting comfortably but Howson hasn''t earned his place.

Honestly think we will see atleast 5 new faces in the starting 11, judging by the overhaul at Huddersfield and what is needed here.

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]?

Pinto ? ? Dijks

Howson ?

Murphy Wes Pritchard

Oliveira

Signings needed in most areas. Hope we can keep hold of Dijks as we''ve seen how he can bully anyone (in the championship at least). I don''t get the Howson story as feel he brings a lot of energy and link up play to the team, just needs a proper DM next to him to sit and hold. Wes is still our most consistently creative player but has very good competition from a recently impressive Pritchard and hungry Maddison. Both Murphys to continue their improvement and add some missing consistency to their all round game. Oliveira to simply carry on as he has been when fit.[/quote]

Can''t understand the love-in for Dijks, beast going forward but can''t defend for toffee

The club will try and move on Klose, Tettey, Naimsith & Jarvis i should imagine. Well hopefully.

There will be at least 10 new faces, that''s obvious. Surely we all understand why Webber was bought in. He''s made it quite that recruitment is why Huddersfield have excelled and he''s made it pretty clear the age of squad and wage bill need bringing down.

He hasn''t revamped the whole recruitment team to not overhaul this entire squad.

LDC, you are saying how wonderful Naismith is on another thread but don''t include him in your 11? Also you moan about Wes on that same thread?

You really do leave yourself open for ridicule 😂😂