Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Steven Naismith

Would echo the last couple of posts. Does Naismith bring enough or can we get a centre back and a defensive midfielder who''d improve the team for the same wages?

I find it hard to think in terms of transfer fees and wages I just think he''s a leader and an asset as a player. I would imagine he''s a nightmare to play against but agree he has never yet nailed down a place.
Trying to think how you guys do without knowing the figures I guess we have to forget anything we''ve already spent on him. Whether he''s been value for money this season won''t impact next season at all. So in an ideal world we have his wages to either pay to him or pay to someone else. Except I don''t think it works like that. For us to be in that position someone would have to take over his contract as it is now. I''m not sure how likely that is and if we can''t do that I guess the decision is how much of next season''s budget do you want to spend on him not being here.

And to carry on with that theme I see calls to get rid of Russ Martin so if I''ve got this right that would be another chunk of next season''s budget paid to someone for not being here. Then there''s the goalkeeper people want rid of. If we''re not careful we won''t have much money to spend on the players we do want. I''ve got a headache now. I''ve probably got this all wrong. Can someone help...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I find it hard to think in terms of transfer fees and wages I just think he''s a leader and an asset as a player. I would imagine he''s a nightmare to play against but agree he has never yet nailed down a place.

Trying to think how you guys do without knowing the figures I guess we have to forget anything we''ve already spent on him. Whether he''s been value for money this season won''t impact next season at all. So in an ideal world we have his wages to either pay to him or pay to someone else. Except I don''t think it works like that. For us to be in that position someone would have to take over his contract as it is now. I''m not sure how likely that is and if we can''t do that I guess the decision is how much of next season''s budget do you want to spend on him not being here.

[/quote]

I agree with this logic.  Personally if we can find someone willing to match his wages (a transfer fee on top would be great), it makes sense on both sides for him to move on.  If not, is it worth us spending say £1m of the wages budget on him to free up say another £1m or £1.5m to spend on someone else, rather than spending £2m or £2.5m to have Naismith here ?  Unfortunately that''s where we''ve been left by signing him on over-generous terms.  We can only guess because we don''t know the exact wages.

I''m still not convinced about him really being a leader on the pitch.  My guess is that the club would sell him if possible.

NN,

It''s all about Opportunity Cost. Who are Norwich not able to bring in, because they have Naismith still on the books?

Being unable to shift him last summer meant Norwich couldn''t sign Jeremy Onguene (or any other defender). So while I don''t think Naismith is awful, I don''t think he justifies the money he is earning, which overall weakens the strength of the squad.

What Bethnal said.

I think if you can take his wages and invest £15k a week in a centre half and £15k a week in a defensive midfielder we''d look better than with Naismith (provided those players are decent of course).

Watch Moneyball, great film about Billy Beane who figured out you don''t need a Ronaldo or Messi in the team if you can build your own using unfashionable cheaper players other teams overlook.

The team is more important than keeping hold of our big names.

👍🏻💛💚

Its also a position where we have arguably too many options. Pritchard, Wes, Naismith and Maddison are all competing for 2 or possibly 1 place in the starting line up. Of the four if one has to go then Naismith would be my preference because I rate Pritch and Wes higher and I don''t want to see Maddison''s progress blocked or opportunities constrained by another manager feeling they have to play Naismith because he costs us so much money.

If he stays and comes good then great but I would not be bothered if we managed to move him on.

Equally - how do you judge value? At the time few argued with shipping out players like Malky and Fleming, yet in hindsight it ripped the heart out of the squad.

Whilst I appreciate the concept of Moneyball, I feel people are too quick to jump on the bandwagon. Things which work well in some circumstances do not necessarily replicate themselves in other scenarios, and it''s very simplistic to assume otherwise.

I also think it''s harsh to blame Naismith''s salary for lack of CB signings - I would argue that is more down to paying players like Klose, Bassong and Turner. Whilst his performances have been patchy, IMO Naismith has contributed more to the team than a lot of players this season.

I''ve been in Glasgow the last few days and it''s been reported on the local radio that Rangers want to sign him if they can get Naismith to agree to a paycut taking his weekly salary down to 50k week.

You think he has contributed more to the team than alot of other players. He hasn''t that tho has he. Hasn''t contributed more than Jerome, Oliviera, Howson, Pritchard, Hoolahan, Josh Murphy, Jacob Murphy all the players who play up the top end of the pitch. If Wildschut & Maddison got the same amount of chances as Naismith i have no doubt they wouldve offered more.

I will not get too excited yet as this is similar to the Sunderland situation where Moyes wanted him, but it did not happen. I would rather keep Hoolahan who, despite his age, is in my opinion much better value for money than Naismith.

Here''s Russ thoughts after a chat with Naismith,

Naismith has two years left on his existing Carrow Road deal, but club and international team-mate Russell Martin insists the 30-year-old wants to stay in Norfolk.

Whatever happens with Naisy he has told me he has a contract here and he wants to see it out,” he said. “Something came out in the press the other day and we spoke about that. It’ll be up to the club of course but Steven is not someone who would sit here and pick up money for the sake of doing that. If the club decide they don’t want him then he would not wish to hang around. I know for a fact he would rather take a wage cut and play somewhere than do that. He is not that kind of person. There is a lot to go on at the club this summer but for me we are better squad with Steven Naismith in it

With Naisy you have one of the most honest, hard-working professionals I have come across. He is a real winner and what is he good at is being around the young lads. You need people like that around the place,” said Martin. “He has been at top clubs, played in the Champions League, has a huge amount of international caps so he knows the standard required.

For our young lads they need to be reminded of that this season. We have not hit the standards required around the place. They probably think Naisy and myself are moaning old gits but it is for them. We want the Murphys, for example, to kick on for this football club and then if it comes to a point where they were not here to earn this club millions. Simple as that. They can take their career whichever way they want it. As older professionals that is part of your job

Funny, I''d argue that the youngsters who''ve had decent runs in the first team have ''hit the standards required'' more often then said moaning old gits.

In which case moaning old gits have got it right with the younger players?

Or you could claim the youngsters would have been even better if they''d have had a better example to follow... ;-)