Sign in to follow this  

Fail.24 points behind the winners10 points behind the last play off place2 out of the 3 relegated teams conceded less goals had dopey delia & co acted earlier chances are city would be in a play off place, but i guess some things never change

Miserable to the last, eh?!

Certainly nowhere near where we should have been but better than many - Villa peed away a fortune and got nowhere. For all the negatives there were positives - we conceded far too many stupid goals, but scored many more than most predicted - there''s plenty at the club for whoever comes in to work with.

too downcast.

-binners'' worst finish in 60 years, having to watch crowd invasion by jubilant opposition fans season after season, and their no-show meaning ex-binner manager Mowbray relegated.

So could be far worse..... but without the mid season carp run of results we would have been up there with ease

Goals conceded was our seasons'' Achilles Heel.....Only 2 sides had worse goals against......one was relegated, and the other just survived.....

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Did anyone score more than us?[/quote]No. Joint highest scorers with Newcastle & Fulham all on 85 goals.Third leakiest defence (69), only behind Rotherham (98!) & Forest (72).Norwich 3rd in "Home Table" results, 18th on "Away Table" Results.

"Half-time" table....Norwich top !!Seems to me as though Norwich''s defence isn''t physically fit enough for away travel and/or 90 minutes of football !!

I understand Jez Mosley if he were still here would have asked the league for a recount of the points. As he promised us promotion promotion promotion!

Not a fail for me, pretty much ended up at my prediction at start of season, when i said 8th to 12th place finish and 65 to 75 points, also predicted many months ago that the team finishing 6th place this season would do so with a record points total for a Champs team finishing in that place, and Fulham on 80 is indeed a new record i believe.Start of last season i had City getting relegated and on 33 points, so was just 1 point out there, also said in a post in Jan, 2016 that the summer 17 close season would be the time of upheaval and big changes for the club. Ok enough blowing my own trumpet...Seasons thoughts? The beginning had to many dreamy eyed fans expecting City to be top 6 or higher, no question, when the past couple years or more had more than warned us all  that our old, aged, fragile defence would cause us way to much upset in the goals against column. A decent enough start against mostly lower placed teams helped to keep the dreamers happy, but was not long before the old traits of our defence shone thru, and with Alex looking more bewildered with each weeks passing, we all waited for the inevitable.Finally the forced  big change, Alex gone, Irvine, in his 10 games, showing us what we can really do going forward, and now the close season, and i think, despite it all, most City fans accept the  big changes  are necessary, and already have a positive  and upbeat mood about the future of NCFC. Next few months will likely bring surprises, and come August, our team, especially at the back, is going to look mightily differnt to the past few seasons, not before time to. I for one, feel  more upbeat about the coming season than ive done for the past few seasons. OTBC.

8th, the same position as the day Neil was sacked; when we were 4 pts behind the team in 7th (finished 5 points back) 9 points off the last play off place.

We had and finished with the third works goals conceded column (a problem with the midfield as well as the back 4) which was the same as under Neil, and were in the top two goal scorers.

In those last 10 games we still lost over 30% of the games played.

While Irvine may have left us feeling good, he has not made as much progress as it seems.

We do have reason for optimism, but it is all about the future with a new head coach and improved better balanced squad.

Bring on the next 10 weeks.

It was a bit of a mixed bag under Irvine, as it was under AN, though to be fair to him he didn''t have the option of bringing any new players in. He did however give Pritchard a good run, and in the process suggested he ought to have played more earlier in the season.

This might be our high point for the next few seasons.

Mixed feelings on this, I think it was reasonable to expect to make the play offs, but clearly our defensive issues and away record cost us dearly. Things appeared better under Irvine but ultimately our knack of conceding goals did not go away. At half time we were having a discussion about teams with wealthy owners who are in a worse place than us (QPR, Blackburn, Forest, Brum all spring to mind), so all in all already looking forward to next season and the next 10 weeks are going to be interesting.....

Well, biggest mistake was holding on to AN fo too long imo... defense was not good enough and manager failed to address that. Had we brought someone in or given Irvine the chance to shake it up earlier...things might have been different... the run before Christmas was unacceptable...but somehow no action was taken. After that I was resigned to the thought that we would not even make the play offs.

But bring on the next season! Bygones are bygones ... OTBC