Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Dorrans

Dorrans on Rangers radar according to this paper.https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/graham-dorrans-is-ready-to-join-rangers-but-barrie-mckay-could-be-heading-for-the-exit-door/

I think that the generally accepted view is that they couldn''t afford his wages

Keeps the ball moving faster than any other midfielder and we usually perform better with than without.

Some tough call to be made in the next 10-12 weeks.

Not all of them can, should or will remain come September

He had a good game but he didn''t do anything special and there were a couple of moments where you could see his lack of pace can be exposed.

Didn''t think today was one of his best games actually although he is certainly improving at mixing it up and getting stuck in a bit. The biggest thing he does is get us moving from defence and is very calm and assured in possession .

Thought Howson was all over the pitch today.

[quote user="ZLF"]Keeps the ball moving faster than any other midfielder and we usually perform better with than without.

Some tough call to be made in the next 10-12 weeks.

Not all of them can, should or will remain come September[/quote]i would take him over Tettey, who although nota like for like player is beginning to show his age and is rather yellow card prone. I still think we will lose a couple more senior players and will be looking to step up the likes of Maddison, Godfrey, Thompson, Morris and Toffolo. Apart from Thompson the others are 20 plus so should be now looking to step up or move on. Hopefully the former. Likewise any signings will most likely be younger players.

still think he''s too weak defensively when we''re playing teams we cant dominate. Him and Howson if the central pair will be overrun by a high intensity team, when a team comes and sits back off us they''re great because both classy footballers.

If we keep the ball on the deck, and are patient in possession, he''s a great player.

If we get drawn into the long game, as we have done too many times this year, he can''t keep up. Ditto Tettey- difference being Dorrans has the technical side in his armoury, which is why I don''t think Tettey will be here next season.

Interesting to note, a lot of our player would rather stay at Norwich due to the wages being so high. obviously Webber has seen this and is acting on it.

Dorrans is neat and tidy and brings a level of positional discipline to our central midfield that others, particularly Tettey, lack. He always drops deep and offers himself for the pass from our centre backs which is hugely important.

However he isn''t very physical and struggles in the tackle. QPR looked at their most dangerous yesterday when they ran the ball up the middle as Dorrans didn''t really know what to do.

I''d keep him but I''d like to pair him with a really solid holding player who can break up play and stop counters. Maybe Howson might have to drop out?

Howson is better than Dorrans, so shouldn''t drop out to fit him into the team.

Dorran''s future you would imagine relies on what Webber perceives the new club''s philosophy to be. If he wants to implement the high energy, high pressing game he brought to Huddersfield then it is very hard to see how Dorrans fits into that. As people have pointed out he doesn''t really tackle and he isn''t very mobile.

@BethnalYG

Depends on the system though doesn''t it? For me the key thing our central midfield in this formation need to do is give a platform for the likes of Pritchard, Wes, the Murphys to do their stuff. That means curbing Howson''s desire to get forward. Dorrans and a disciplined defensive midfielder would give that.

@King Canary,

I still think Howson could do the job you talk about better than Dorrans. The problem with having the deep-lying play marker alongside a defensive midfielder is the forwards can become too isolated and there is a separation between attack and midfield.

Howson''s greatest skill is his ability to bring the ball out of midfield and making direct runs through the middle - as well as his ability to hit a long shot which draws opposition defences out to meet him, creating more space behind.

I think if Dorrans played alongside a Tettey style player it would mean Pritchard having to drop deeper to collect the ball and Norwich playing largely in-front of the opposition defence.

I also doubt Dorrans has the legs to play a high intensity game which is probably the direct Norwich are heading.