Sign in to follow this  
Coq au vin

Defense

It might just have been my vision from the UB but did anyone else feel our team yesterday defended excellently albeit against a poor QPR side - players filling in holes when out of position, hunting in packs without the ball and tracking back from Pritchard and Josh hungry to get the ball back at almost every opportunity?

I think the defensive side of things has come a way under Irvine. Russ Martin still isn''t a CB though and though I''d say he''s probably going, Klose still made me worry at times.

What you reckon, something for the new HC to work with surely?

Hard to measure, weren''t really tested yesterday, Don''t think Martin is going anywhere, Klose just doesn''t fill me with confidence lately, always left feeling there is a mistake about to happen.

There is enough talent there for a new Head Coach to make in roads and with 2-3 good additions (GK, CH, LB) could mount a challenge for at least playoffs next season?.

@ Lessingham, completely agree with Klose. I was saying to my mate that even when we''re cruising to a victory it''s like this little voice appears in the CB''s heads that they have to make some stupid error to ensure nothing runs smoothly. Those fist in mouth moments I''d like to see the back of if I''m honest

The big test is away from home and we showed against Leeds we havent fixed that at all. It''s not all the defenders fault the team doesnt do the defensive bits very well and we will probably need some extremely no-nonsense centre backs if we want to play the players we do infront of them. Trouble is i think in the modern game, the type of centre back who primarily heads the balls, tackles and gets a foot on it, tracks his man at corners are a dying breed.