Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Snodgrass Vs Brady

Probably it''s the Hull connection, but I find it rather natural to want to compare these two signings. When we swapped divisions both held the other to ransom, so who do you think was the better signing? (I realise there are two elements here (both playing for us or both playing for respective clubs, either is an interesting debate).

Brady I always thought was a little over-rated. Good work ethic, versatility was useful and was effective in a number of ways. Snodgrass I feel had more talent, not just his work rate, but being an inverted winger you can argue whether his contribution outweighed the detrimental tactics required to play him. Certainly a talented player but a Catch 22?

So who do you think was the better player? Who was the better signing? And who, if you could only have one of them in your team would you plump for?

Quite a good question as you''re comparing two players who in one way offer the exact same as one another

- Good set piece delivery

- Good strikers of the ball

And in another completely different, Brady has more pace than Snodgrass and typically uses that to beat his man down the line, Snodgrass like you say, is very much an inverted winger and relies on cutting in.

Personally I prefer Snodgrass as a player, presuming we''re looking at them as attacking options, as I think he offers that bit more than Brady.

I always wondered if Snoddy would have benefitted from a Wes-like move to a central position, where his lack of pace and wrong/one-footedness would have hindered less but made more of his ability on the ball. Indeed I think thats where Hughton initially planned to use him.

This also opens up the wider debate of most-effective position, what with Alex Neil stating he felt he got more from Brady at full-back. Plenty of wingers converted these days to full-backs - see Valencia, Kieran Richardson, Kilbane and Navas.

As we''re on the subject of Hughton, I also remember him saying he wasnt sure where best to use Leroy Fer, with him having a range of different contributions in different roles

Snoddy every time even if he used to frustrate me no end with his delayed deliveries. Brady far too inconsistent. Neither have actually set the Prem alight. £13m for Brady was great business.

Hi Gordon.

Great shout on the match bet buddy. Are you going to Jamies Game as guest of CSF? If not would you come with PUPs?

Thanks for all your support as always

Best Regards

Eddie aka nutty

Great! That''s why I don''t like using pm! It''s too complicated for me LOL

That was meant for Lessingham ☺

A hard call but for me Snodgrass as he wore his heart on his sleeve whereas Brady despite his best efforts never for me felt he would battle for the cause.Anyway where is Lakey ? [:D]

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]In fairness, that could have been a lot worse!!![/quote]
Not for me or anyone else who wouldn''t put anything in a pm that they wouldn''t want seen on the board[;)]
Your question got me thinking about all the players we''ve signed in our 4 most recent PL seasons. Only 5 have left us for another PL club and only Nathan Redmond has gone to a better club. The others Snodgrass, Fer, Olsson and Brady went to Hull, QPR, Swansea and Burnley. It seems we have expected more but in reality that''s the pool from which we fish.
Both Brady and Snodgrass had good qualities but for me a player made from the two would probably be capable of stepping up a further level.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]A hard call but for me Snodgrass as he wore his heart on his sleeve whereas Brady despite his best efforts never for me felt he would battle for the cause.Anyway where is Lakey ? [:D][/quote]

I''m here.....Neither cut the mustard for me.  Always felt that Brady overated his own ability - and in my few visits to CR when he was in the team, I was irritated to see that fans applauded him as he went to take corners etc - fuelling his sense of self-importance.  I think he was ok as a lad, good ability and pace, but the hype got to him and his contribution to the team was lessened as a result.  Snoddy.....ability overshadowed by a desire to be seen as the main man.

What about Snodgrass Vs RVW?!

[quote user="Ian"]What about Snodgrass Vs RVW?![/quote]I wouldn''t go there........but as you have, RVW has won his nation''s cup final, scoring both goals - the first from an accurate pin point cross. If only we had in our side a player who could have done that at Norwich.........

Agree with you Lakey, I saw him play in Holland before he joined us. He was ruthless, a predator, ... our wide men didn''t serve him enough... But he wasn''t ready for the PL imo..

I think that despite his stinginess, I would favour Snodgrass over the laziness of Brady.

Im not even going to credit the RvW rubbish with an answer but Lakey, you do realise that at every live football match whoever comes over to the corner to take it tends to get applauded. It wasn''t a Brady thing. It''s a general football thing.

[quote user="hogesar"]Im not even going to credit the RvW rubbish with an answer but Lakey, you do realise that at every live football match whoever comes over to the corner to take it tends to get applauded. It wasn''t a Brady thing. It''s a general football thing.[/quote]I know it happens hog, but with Brady it was more than usual, as if he was special in some way, especially at the start of the season after his euros appearances.  And btw, the RVW stuff isn''t rubbish - he did score from under pressure from a pin point cross in the cup final.  He scored from a pinpoint cross/shot from Whittaker too, just about the only time he recieved one in the whole season - and that was an accident!

Fair enough Lakey, can''t say I personally noticed it but can see the logic, his euros enhanced his reputation and the fact we had held onto him felt like a bit of a coup at the time I imagine.

But you''re not making me comment on this RvW nonsense!

[quote user="hogesar"]Fair enough Lakey, can''t say I personally noticed it but can see the logic, his euros enhanced his reputation and the fact we had held onto him felt like a bit of a coup at the time I imagine.

But you''re not making me comment on this RvW nonsense![/quote]It was a bit of a love in at the time and I don''t think it did Brady any favours. He never lived up to the hype apart from maybe the goal at Wolves.

Snoddy had/has his faults but yeah, there''s more about him than Brady.

AN seemed to have Brady up on some pedestal. Anyone who had seen Brady before he came to us would have known he''s decent but not that special.

That was probably indicative of AN''s lack of ability to judge a player.