Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v QPR

It was dry and bright on the traipse up to CR this morning but with a wind so deceptively chilly that I soon regretted leaving my woolly hat at home. To us old''ns it never ceases to amaze how well the pitch looks after a hard season. In years gone by there would have been vast bare patches at this time of year.I arrived too late to see Wes receive his well deserved Player of the Season award but there was generous applause for John Ruddy who was made captain for the day. He was a virtual spectator in the early moments as City began the match with a certain gusto and soon had the visitors on the rack. Dorrans sweeping pass set Murphy away on the left and an early goal looked certain as his pass inside found Oliveira in the clear only for his side footed effort to be cleared off the line with the keeper beaten. Moments later the young City winger latched onto a through ball from Tim Klose, only for Smithies, diving to his right and deflect the shot for a corner.It was open entertaining stuff with City looking much the superior outfit as Murphy again threatened with a twenty yarder which clipped the bar after QPR had struggled to clear a corner. The visitors eventually rode the opening storm and came forward down the left when a lack of concentration and loose ball fell kindly on the edge of the City area, and Washington looked to have a simple chance of finding an unmarked man in the middle. Dijks raced to intercept but used his hand to deflect the ball away and was extremely fortunate not to get a card. Thankfully the free kick came to nothing.Midway through the half I was ready to bemoan the lack of a goal but then Wes ranged into the right of the QPR box before sending in a low shot that might well have clipped Pritchard before nestling in the corner. It was no more than the home side deserved and with Wes and Akex Pritchard pulling the strings further goals threatened every time they swept forward. QPR seemed to have plenty of energy about them but were often at full stretch defending as City looked for a second.When they did come forward Martin did well to intercept a low ball in from the right but just before the break they fashioned a really good chance. After a fairly long injury break when Pritchard and a defender collided, Ruddy had to pull off a fine save when just getting enough on a rising drive to turn it onto the bar and over to preserve the lead.The second half opened with similar pacey movements from both sides although with City looking the more likely to score. Oliviera blazed wildly over and Smithies denied Wes with his feet but just on the hour he was beaten again when QPR struggled to clear a corner. Dorrans, who barely misplaced a pass all afternoon found Wes who kept the pressure up on the right and when the ball fell to Pritchard his first attempt was blocked but his follow up beat Smithies at the near post.Jerome came on for Oliveira and should have quickly been on the scoreboard only to mis-control on the edge of the box and minutes later Pritchard went off to great applause to be replaced by Maddison. City continued to dominate and it was no surprise when they added a third goal as Murphy held off a defender before rifling past Smithies after collecting Wes''s sublime clip over the QPR defence. The best however was left to last as in the final minute Maddison picked up the ball in centre field, found Wes who slotted a slide rule pass to Jerome on the right. The big man might have had a go himself but deftly cut back to Wes on the penalty spot to stroke past the keeper for number four. A Man of the Match and Player of the Season goal if I''ve ever seen one.All that was left was to salute John Ruddy for his years of service and to think what might have been had we not been so profligate at the back in so many games this season. In a lot of those games we have looked head and shoulders above the opposition but we have paid dearly for an Achilles heel that was obvious to all of us from very early on but never properly addressed.Best wishes to all for some pleasant summer days before we all roll up again in the Autumn.[:D][Y]  

Thanks Ricardo. Always an enjoyable read.

I thought it was Murphy''s terrific pass that put Jerome away for the last goal but not seen it again yet so you could be right. You certainly have a better memory than me judging by your reports!

All the best for a good summer and hopefully be more wins to report next season.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Thanks Ricardo. Always an enjoyable read.

I thought it was Murphy''s terrific pass that put Jerome away for the last goal but not seen it again yet so you could be right. You certainly have a better memory than me judging by your reports!

All the best for a good summer and hopefully be more wins to report next season.[/quote]You might be right, it all happened very quickly and the guy in front of me tends to jump up everytime we get near the goal.[:D]

Just think, if we''d have sacked AN in the summer and appointed Irvine I''m pretty sure we''d have at least made the play offs. That scenario would have gone down really poorly with fans but would''ve worked out much better than the choice we made to stick with Neil, also proves we should keep an open mind when the new head coach is appointed, even if it appears to be an underwhelming choice. Who''d have thought Irvine would have done such good work with the squad? I was sure at the time we''d just list down to the bottom half.

Good post Horse. Bravo for your honesty and clarity.

@ricardo

Your reports are of higher calibre and more incisively written than any other. You have a keen eye. An elegant combination of the journalistic and the editorial.

Bravissimo, Parma

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]Good post Horse. Bravo for your honesty and clarity.

@ricardo

Your reports are of higher calibre and more incisively written than any other. You have a keen eye. An elegant combination of the journalistic and the editorial.

Bravissimo, Parma[/quote]

Coming from you Parma, that is indeed a compliment. Many thanks.[Y]

As always, thanks for your efforts this season Ricardo, always a pleasure to read your thoughts when I can''t make the game which has sadly been too often this season. Hopefully this time next year things will be very different!

Just a word of thanks old fella, always an enjoyable read. Time to put your feet up for a few weeks, before being ready to amble your way down to Carrow Road in August. When who knows who will be here and who will be gone, from the club that is.

[quote user="Horse Renoir"]Just think, if we''d have sacked AN in the summer and appointed Irvine I''m pretty sure we''d have at least made the play offs. That scenario would have gone down really poorly with fans but would''ve worked out much better than the choice we made to stick with Neil, also proves we should keep an open mind when the new head coach is appointed, even if it appears to be an underwhelming choice. Who''d have thought Irvine would have done such good work with the squad? I was sure at the time we''d just list down to the bottom half.[/quote]

Depressing and shocking, but spot on I''m afraid Horse. 

Thanks to the OP as always.

So it''s fingers crossed the club can get in a decent new head coach and he with Webber can manage the squad changes, especially the complete transformation of our defence, to give us a solid base at the back for next season while we still have parachute payments.  I have always felt that the defence we currently have would have been good enough this season, if properly managed, but obviously there are some high earners in there who have to pay the price for the lack of success.

I would just like to add what others have said Ricardo. I rarely miss a home game but I always look forward to your reports and your perspective of the game. You have a talent which I respect greatly.

Great read again Ricardo, thanks 4 the reports and bring on next season I would say!

Echoing the above sentiments too Ricardo. Well done.At the risk of compromising your excellent reports but for someone of a weak bladder disposition may I respectfully suggest more in-play visits to the gents next season ?Those extra goals we''ll score could make all the difference....[:D]

Many thanks, Ricardo. Your reports capture not only the facts but also the essence of the game. Always a pleasure to read.