Sign in to follow this  
Iwans teeth

Webber's interview

So was just listening to him and he recons are new head coach still hasn''t finished his season at his current club . So I''m guessing that rule''s out monk and uwe as their seasons have finished

[quote user="Iwans teeth"]So was just listening to him and he recons are new head coach still hasn''t finished his season at his current club . So I''m guessing that rule''s out monk and uwe as their seasons have finished[/quote]If you mean this:“I fully expect in two to three weeks we will be in a position to do

something,” said Webber. “That is the timeframe we gave ourselves and

that is what we are working towards. It allows us to speak to people

more formally now. We have to respect the fact European leagues are

still going, domestic leagues, in terms of play-offs, are still going,

and although it would be nice to crack on with it we had to respect the

fact there are clubs out there who are now at key stages of their

seasons. I don’t think we can overlook leagues abroad."Look at the top five or six in the Championship this season and they are

foreign coaches. We would be stupid not to embrace that. They are all

different clubs and do it in different ways. It doesn’t mean we will,

but a club of our size has to be open-minded to find the best candidate."
...then that is not quite what he said. Only that there may be people in the frame whose seasons have not finished. Not that the only people being considered have not finished their seasons.

Webbers interview very much points at Uwe. League one playoff final is on 20th which allows for the appointment to be made before the end on the month if Fleetwood get that far.Monk would have been appointed sooner and Wagner will want the Prem over us. If they get to the final which is on 29th this gives no time to appoint him before the end of the month.So it has to be Uwe.

The interview seems to me to point to someone coaching in a foreign league. The Bundesliga ends in 2 weeks. Perhaps we should be studying the first & second division''s coaches there. As a starter Werder Bremen have a young German/Iranian coach who is only contracted to the season end. Out of our range? I''ll start looking through the second division.

A foreign league is an increasing possibility for me - with plenty of young talented coaches in Bundesliga II in the wagner mould - or much more unlikely, Wagner.

End of May can''t come quickly enough.

I just hope it works out better than the last time we scoured the whole of Europe.

Quite a lot of good names out there though which is exciting. Looking forward to a bit of an action packed summer.

Felt Webber did a good job of not giving anything away with his comments. Guessing there are multiple options, some domestic some overseas.

Every Webber interview gives increasing confidence that he is a guy with his head screwed on right. Proof will be in the pudding of course and hopefully he is given suitable time to proof himself.

Most interesting comments were regarding Dijks - seems Norwich still have an option on him despite not getting promoted (contrary to reporting at the time) and it is up to Norwich whether he comes or not.

Re Dijks, I thought we had agreed an option to buy him (i.e. whatever division - I imagine Ajax couldn''t care less where we are) but that the feeling was the player wouldn''t want to unless we''d been promoted - which was why we had to do a loan in the first place. He clearly wanted/wants to be in the PL, which is fair enough, but may now consider that playing for us could still be his best bet - I guess we have to wait it out on this one.

To be fair, it''s probably not division related however the structure of the deal was probably based on us being promoted as i''m sure his wages, fee etc will be fairly high. It may not make financial sense to sign him permanently.

Iwans teeth wrote the following post at 2017-05-09 12:04 PM:

So was just listening to him and he recons are new head coach still hasn''t finished his season at his current club . So I''m guessing that rule''s out monk and uwe as their seasons have finished

No he didn''t! He suggested that European leagues havent finished yet and some clubs are involved in EFL playoff games! That doesn''t really rule anyone out at all as no one has been offered the position!

It has often been hinted on here that Dijks as a player is not the whole deal and that he is for now at his right level.

If he does get a PL team to sign him then it will certainly be one of those clubs relegation threatened from the first day of the season.

Good luck to him in his apparent quest, but perhaps his best chance of PL football might be to stay put, where he is generally regarded as being decent enough to be first pick for his position and we will , hopefully put up a stronger challenge next season..

Depends on three things I suppose:

The player working out where he is best placed.

The club (new man included) deciding he is wanted.

The deal that is thrashed out being satisfactory to both sides.

A lot of talking seems to be on the cards re: this situation.

OR: Perhaps he has a another club lined up after all.

His agent seems to be a busy man.

For me one of the factors re Dijks is that there is almost certainly going to be some reinforcement at the heart of the defence and retaining Dijks would help to mitigate the effect of a very new partnership. It may mean some a little more cash (assuming he is OK to stay) but I think there is only so much disruption one area can take before it become s real barrier to hitting the ground running in August. I like him , not perfect but the sort of combative character we have too often lacked recently.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Felt Webber did a good job of not giving anything away with his comments. Guessing there are multiple options, some domestic some overseas.[/quote]

Reading between the lines though, I get the impression it was a shock to Ryan Bennett, possibly to Ruddy as well.

Also sounds like Russell Martin is nailed on to stay, and that''s he''s fairly happy with us going forward, but is looking for a clinical striker.

That''s the second time I''ve heard him say we won''t have two experienced right backs so I''m guessing he has Godfrey or Efeete to cover.

Re Dijks, i think its pretty clear. In an ideal world we would sign him, we have the option - but its an expensive deal. Can that money be better spent elsewhere?

We dont want another Pritchard-style expensive signing where we sign a player at the expense of other critical areas.

Sounds like Irvine was put on the naughty step after his comments...

Also, what a contrast to the Jez Moxey stage managed interview from a few months back

Seems extremely honest & open, not going to put out soundbites for the sake of it - especially when it comes to ''no player is for sale''

I really like Webber''s honest and open interviews, gets me excited for next season, am positive we have the right people at the helm now to take us forward

Mr Webber''s certainly got more about him than Mr Moxey.....Although, serious judgement will be made this time next year - and in 12 months let''s see if we bear the fruits of Mr Webber''s encouraging appointment......Here''s hoping.......

I should imagine that the club have made the necessary approaches. That''s what agents are for. I would not have thought that we will bring in any new players until it has been discussed with the coach. Though it seems as if the emphasis is going to be this how we will approach games, how we will play and your job as coach is to make it happen. Webber seems to confirm what I said previously is we wont have a man for each position and a spare. Sure there''ll be cover but that will be upcoming youngsters we sign and our own youngsters looking to step up, rather than having two ''top'' players (as was stated about the right back position). After all, if Maddison, Godfrey, Thompson, Toffolo, Morris cannot step up now, when will they ?,

For me the jury is still out on Webber. What happened to the idea of building a setup to enable us to hire a manager to come in on his own ie without bringing in his own crew?
One half of me thinks that Webber is ruthlessly cutting out all the dead wood. The other thinks that he''ll do a Roeder and shake things up too much.
Whatever the case Webber seems good at stating the bleeding obvious in order to get fans nodding in agreement.

Is he ruthlessly cutting out the deadwood. Of the seven senior players who left, all were out of contract. If they were going to stay they would have been offered another deal long before Webber arrived. Given the loss of parachute payments it was fairly obvious that the club was not going to offer two year or more contracts to the likes of Bennett and Ruddy. Webber is building a set up, that''s why he has hired two new scouts. Of course the jury is out, just as they are before anyone begins to perform.

How about throwing in another name that no-one has mentioned who fits the bill given Webber''s comments - Stuart McColl at Bradford. He has been a number two under Warnock, had spells at Motherwell and has done a fantastic job this year (for my adopted ''other ''club Bradford having lived this way for decades). I doubt actually he would want to leave should Bradford even if they fail in the play offs. He is Bradford through and through having played for them and having a suite at the ground named after him (!) .....But surely he would be in the kind of mould Webber has hinted at? There may be others in the play off mix we are missing?

"I''m not looking for new Yorkshire I don''t want to change the world."

Sorry Mr. S.

Yes he is another who might fit the bill. There are a few about and it''s getting more intriguing as the days pass.

Trying to second guess Webber is proving to be a bit of a conundrum.

I was hoping that, by releasing those that we have, we could afford to buy some players to supplement the core squad that are left, but does anyone get the feeling that we will need to sell before we can buy? I think I heard something like that in the Steve Stone interview or was I mistaken?

[quote user="Morgan"]@ Diane, have you met Webber yet with the social club involvement?[/quote]
Yes I met him at our informal social evening a few weeks ago, found out he was coming a couple of days before which was a nice surprise considering he hadn''t been at the club long. Only spoke to him briefly as he was in demand but came across to me as a man who''s ambitious, focused with a plan . Talked openly & honestly and the feedback I got from others who had chatted with him was the same as my impression.
I know actions speak louder than words but I''m absolutely confident that he''s the right man for the job