Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

How does Russ do it?

Interview with the new Director and- amazing- Russ cited a an experienced player to keep!!???

I get that he bleeds yellow and green. I get that he is a nice guy. But his performances have been below par more often than not and he is clearly part of a failed defence. Why keep him above Naismith for experience? Or Klose?

Always Russ manages to charm his way to staying on. For me the one person who needs to go because he is the constant inthebecer failing defence and is very much a talisman for what we were not what we need to be.

Klose has been dreadful this season - worse than Martin IMO. I imagine he is also on a bigger wedge. Same with Naismith - he has ultimately flattered to deceive and, if on 40/50k a week not a great investment. Hardly struggled without him on Saturday did we?

Martin was very good on Saturday, I think somewhat back to approaching his best - and even if not a regular starter next season, a very useful squad player for cover at RB and CB.

Also, an excellent professional, and a real club man. I wouldn''t be surprised if we do keep him next year. The only thing that does surprise me are those Pink Un experts who think they know better than Lambert, Hughton, Strachan, Adams, Neil, Irvine and now Webber who all think he''s worthy of a place, and usually a starting place, in their squad.

your argument about the pink un experts knowing less than the management of the club is rather weakened by the goals against column of the football table.

I think its all about attitude, and Russ has a fantastic attitude, which i would imagine really shows at Colney, Webber will feel that both himself and the new Head Coach can work with that.

Klose hasn''t taken any of the Burden off Martin at all, and while Russ has had more than his fair share of blunders i would rather a player with a positive attitude that one who thinks the game owes him something.

I would rather we opt for an entirely new CB future. Why keep what has failed so often?

Russ may have a top attitude but he has been part of a porous defence with any number of different partners

So we don''t defend as a team then - it''s all Russell Martin''s fault?

Key problem this season has IMO been that teams have found it far too easy to go from back to front against us in a couple of balls. Way too simplistic to blame one player - the balance of the squad was totally wrong and we were/are very soft centered.

Add to this Klose has been responsible for more cock ups this season than Martin, and is clearly going to be on big money, and it makes me wonder if you have an agenda when you suggest we should keep him. Do you really think he has shown the same hunger to play for the club as RM?

Even if cover for CB/RB, Martin can still play a role in a decent defence. My point that several different managers have all seen fit to play him, so whilst they could all be wrong and the Pink Un mafia correct, he clearly has a little something about him - even if just one of those ''good value'' squad players.

If he goes, he goes and I wouldn''t be overly devastated. But the way he''s relegated to Barry Chuckle''s defensive equivalent by some, yet other dross players are seen as "quality" doesn''t sit well with me.

I think it is more a case of him still being under contract and that he is worth more to us than what another team is willing to pay.

Whether or not he is a key part of our back line next season is another debate. I think he is a decent right back at this level and can replace Whittaker as back-up for Pinto. He is also useful to have as a CB and who knows what system the new coach is gong to want to play? I could see Martin being useful in the ever more popular 343, or simply providing cover and rotation to a back 4.

As others have said, he''s also a great guy to have in the dressing room and on the training ground.

This what Webber said;“The head coach has a lot to work with. We should be excited about that

and we need to build around it. Under contract we only have Russell

(Martin) and Timm (Klose) at centre backs so I would be silly to say we

don’t need centre backs. We do."To me it says we will be getting new centre backs and we can''t get rid of RM & TK because they have contracts, you can''t get rid of all of the defense in one go especially when money will be an issue.

TC:

“Listen, we have to get the age of the squad down, we had 13 over 30 at one point, but then it is keeping the great, experienced players like Russ and Wes Hoolahan to help any younger ones,” he said. “With the budget constraints we have got, we are not going to be able to have two fantastic right backs on excellent salaries. We might only be able to have one and back him up with a younger guy, whether from the academy or signing a young one who isn’t on a big salary, to keep our best players. The easiest thing to do is sell one of our top players but instead we have to be creative.”

What concerns me more is Russ isn''t great at centre back. The best of a bad bunch this last season. So why Webber views him as such is beyond me. Maybe it was just talk and interpreted incorrectly?

Depending on things like Signings/Tactics/Pinto etc , then Martin could be a great guy to have as the defensive cover, on the bench.

He''s been our best CB this season, and with a good partner is plenty good enough for this league so, along with being a top club ambassador to help settle new players in, keeping him is the logical choice. He may not even be a regular starter for us.

Look, I get it. Some of you panic and in a blind sense of rage picked the captain as the one to scapegoat and now you''ve kept it up all season I understand it''s hard to back out on.

The other awkward thing is now, we''ve got a list of:

- Lambert and his coaching staff

- Hughton and his coaching staff

- Neil Adams and his coaching staff

- Alex Neil and his coaching staff

- Gordan Strachan and his coaching staff

- Alan Irvine and his coaching staff

- The new structure so far

Have all deemed him good enough. Plenty have deemed him good enough to be a captain too. All professionals with actual football experience and actual knowledge of the game with proper analysis as well as knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes.

But no, don''t be silly. The PinkUn massive know better. He''s sh*t.

IT is arguable that Martin was in fact our strongest defender this season bar possibly Djiks. I know that is not saying much but it is not realistic to replace every defender at once and none of us know the impact Martin has behind the scenes. Fans are biased by what is seen on the pitch but there is nothing to suggest Ruddy was a bigger influence that him in the dressing room.

RM is just another in a long list of underrated players by our supporters - some of whom only ever see the mistakes and feel the need to apportion the blame for every goal conceded at their door.

The fact is, he simply isn''t that bad - managers at club and country level seem to pick him, so think he is ok....and Webber seems to agree. So perhaps he is?

Yes he makes mistakes, and by his own admission maybe hasn''t been at the top of his game this year, but he is certainly one we need to keep.

I think Hog has a point, after all what''s the point of paying for a new scapegoat when you already have an established/contracted one?

Sounds like good business sense.

Apples

Of course he''s worth keeping on if only as a decent and very experienced back-up.

I should imagine he can be a very positive influence in the dressing room.

In these days of footballer disloyalty Russel Martin is a rarity. We''ve had our fair share of mercenaries in the past and probably nowadays as well (?) so we should be grateful for his valued and continued contribution.

I think he''ll make a successful manager somewhere in due course. He''s no fool.

Martin has done very well out of NCFC and it has probably been a better career than he has warranted but NCFC haven''t done so badly out of the deal either.

Hogesar - "The other awkward thing is now, we''ve got a list of:

- Lambert and his coaching staff

- Hughton and his coaching staff

- Neil Adams and his coaching staff

- Alex Neil and his coaching staff

- Gordan Strachan and his coaching staff

- Alan Irvine and his coaching staff

- The new structure so far

Have all deemed him good enough. Plenty have deemed him good enough

to be a captain too. All professionals with actual football experience

and actual knowledge of the game with proper analysis as well as

knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes."Exactly Hogesar. In the ruthless world of football when a bad run of results costs you your job, why are so many risking their futures on someone "just cos he''s a nice guy." Of course they don''t - it''s because they think he is the best available defender.I''ll be interested to see if any of the Martin critics can come up with an alternative explanation - mass blackmail perhaps?

It''s hard Badger. I think someone went down the mind-control route as an alternative explanation once...

Admittedly that might have been me, sarcastically.

[quote user="Mr Apples"]I think Hog has a point, after all what''s the point of paying for a new scapegoat when you already have an established/contracted one?

Sounds like good business sense.

Apples[/quote]
Not just that Apples, it takes some pressure of us fans. We don''t have to spend the first 3 or 4 games painfully trying to identify the next scapegoat, only to watch said scapegoat play a blinder the next game and have to try and find someone else.

"Not just that Apples, it takes some pressure of us fans. We don''t have to spend the first 3 or 4 games painfully trying to identify the next scapegoat, only to watch said scapegoat play a blinder the next game and have to try and find someone else".

Completely agree...we just need to fill the great new hope slot (best signing ever - according to FIFA and the fans) who after 6 games becomes the biggest waste of money ever (what were they thinking) who then picks up after half a season for couple of games (could still become a legend) and then tails off to become a seldom seen bench-warmer and we''ll be sorted.

We may need to shift Klose to vacate this slot.

Apples

That shouldn''t be too difficult Apples. We''ve also got the next Kyle Lafferty in the wings by the sound of it - in the form of James Maddison.

I mean, i''m sure he''ll be a better player but the hero welcome he gets warming up etc is making me think he''s got the frontline.

In the championship he''s a perfectly adequate CB.  Given we''ve let go 2 CBs, and are likely to sell Klose, it makes perfect sense to keep him if he''s on sensible wages.

Reading this thread I wonder sometimes whether fans have really woken up to the fact that we''re not in the Prem next season.

It''s reassuring to know the club is prioritising these important positions.

I think "squad member receiving unwarranted backlash" is still available.

Apples

Or maybe, and stick with me here...

They watched the games, watched our defence conceed more goals than only two other teams and concluded that the defender with the most appearances out of any of them this season might not be that great anymore.