Sign in to follow this  
Number9

Well done skip

[quote user="Number9"]You so funny!

We had a group of defenders, most of them struggled to keep the ball out.

Martin bears responsibility as part of that failing group.

Martin bears greater responsibility than those other defenders because he is senior in age and the captain. He should be able to do his job well and lead the others.

Some of that failing group have gone now, and while we hope that the new defenders brought in will raise the quality of the group, Martin is in focus because he has struggled when he should have been exemplary, yet we are regularly fed media articles telling us what a fine gent he is.[/quote]The more you try to defend yourself, the more obvious it becomes that your constant picking on Russ Martin is just ill-informed prejudice. Why not stick to the only fact you are prepared to cite in justification, that he has been part of a team which has been undone by its defensive frailty; everyone can agree about that. 

[quote user="Number9"]You so funny!

We had a group of defenders, most of them struggled to keep the ball out.

Martin bears responsibility as part of that failing group.

Martin bears greater responsibility than those other defenders because he is senior in age and the captain. He should be able to do his job well and lead the others.

Some of that failing group have gone now, and while we hope that the new defenders brought in will raise the quality of the group, Martin is in focus because he has struggled when he should have been exemplary, yet we are regularly fed media articles telling us what a fine gent he is.[/quote]We are not fed anything. It''s a case of you choosing to read stuff then constantly whining about Russell Martin. The story was not about his footballing prowess so stop keep dragging that up at every opportunity. And if you have to talk about defenders please spell the word correctly. It is defence, with a ''c''.

Anyone on here care to make an argument that Klose has been better than Martin this season? Given that no-one will, would someone further explain why a bloke who has been hugely costly to our club gets virtually no blame, but a loyal, big-hearted, relatively low-cost player gets boo`d, abused and is subject to endless denigration online? It is classic childish scapegoating.

Think that''s because Klose posts regularly on social media and leaves nice messages & pictures for fans so he escapes scot free.

Russ has mentioned before in interviews that he doesn''t do social media or read forums so fans think it''s ok to abuse him, bet most wouldn''t say what they post to his face

Well said Mr Carrow & Diane, Klose has been shocking this season but get''s away with it for some strange reason, shows the agenda against Martin is bonkers!

If the new Head Coach comes in and drops Russ to the bench, thats fine, if he decides to let him go, fine by me also. Somehow i think we will see Russ quite a bit next season in a new look City side hopefully enjoying more success than this season just ended.

Well done and congratulations Russ Martin.......Instead of you spending all your spare time on golf courses, at the bookies, constantly speeding in a top o'' the range performance car, continually displaying obnoxious Jack the lad behaviour, boozin'' and frequenting nightclubs, saturating yourself on social media and generally giving the club a bad image......

You sir, as a model professional, family man and currently Captain of NCFC, have to then go and spoil it all for the sniping, griping and vindictive gonads - and have the sheer audacity to do something in your valuable spare/free time and for the good of the community?......Anyway, Mello sez......''Well done Skip!''......

There will always be a small section of supporters who have it in for a certain player and express such venom towards him that it almost seems to approach hatred.

A footballer for goodness sake. A footballer that for some reason or other they don''t rate and therefore are only capable of seeing the bad whilst being blind to any good.

They must lead very sad and small existences. In a world of troubles, a life of problems they obsess about somebody they have likely never met just because he kicks a football in a way they do not like.

Social media makes it so much easier for them to vent their spleen. In the olden says they had to mumble or even boo on the least secure and least anonymous terraces.

Now it all seems out of hand to an unpleasant degree.

Of course we all have sometimes had players that we do not rate and single out, usually unfairly, and in whom we are able to see little good. We groan from our plastic seats or continually complain about him to our fellow supporters with the added emphasis encouraged by a few pints of beer inside us. That''s the way it is, it''s often irrational but always acceptable.

For some reason my old man, a gentle man, a fervent supporter had it in for Ian Crook. Crookey, despite being one of our best midfielders ever could do no right for him "always giving the ball away."

I recall one time when I went with him and we were in the stands during the pre-match warm up when a ball sailed close to our heads. Ian Crook had sliced a practice shot into the stands and the players were all laughing about it. My old man''s reaction was "Oh it''s that Crook again." The game hadn''t even started, Dad had.

If a level headed individual with a full and successful life could resort to such an irrational outburst what would we expect from those generally less fortunate or intelligent, armed with Twitter etc. to be capable of.

Obvious innit?

I look forward to seeing Russ in our team next season alongside better defenders in a squad with a more balanced and distinct footballing philosophy.Also, excellent effort by the posters who put the constant Russ-baiters back under their bridges. I get that being a fine, upstanding gentleman doesn''t make you a great player, but the disproportionate blame apportioned to Russ by certain factions on here is both cringeworthy and borderline obsessive. Hope the skipper proves them wrong next season by leading our promotion charge.

I''m not a Russell Martin fan, but as I read it, this thread was started to congratulate him on winning Norwich City’s PFA Community Champion of the Year award for 2016-17.  For that I congratulate him unreservedly.Any criticism I may have of him and/or his fellow defenders are NOT for this thread.[:D]