Sign in to follow this  
Number9

Well done skip

Well done skip, Russ wins an award for off the field good works.

Yay, he''s a winner!

Well, when I say he''s a winner.... if only he could be a tad more proficient at his job - defending!

stop bullying russ on social media. literally every single management team has loved him and they see the important during the week that us fans don''t.

Must be Norwich City''s board love child talking his own game so he don''t get the heave ho

So even Russell Martin doing great things for the community doesn''t save him from being constantly beat. Some of our fans are pathetic.

[quote user="KeiranShikari"]stop bullying russ on social media. literally every single management team has loved him and they see the important during the week that us fans don''t.[/quote]

I could be wrong but I''d like to have seen a defense which didn''t throw in goals so frequently over the past few years.

During the week does he help coach defensive drills and organisation so we see an improvement on the embarrassment at the back?

No I didn''t think so either.

He''s the captain so he bears some responsibility I''m afraid.

I do not and will not post any personal rumors or abuse about our players, my criticism is purely concern about conceding too many goals over too long a period.

sorry but i''ll take the word of every single management team that russ has worked under over what some troll on an internet forum has to say. Russ clearly gives his all and is a great ambassador for the club. Passion is something that''s missing in modern day football, Russell marting is a passionate man.

Ambassador

Gent

Passionate

Hasn''t stopped our defense shipping two goals per game for past few seasons.

Many fans love their jobs and the club unconditionally, they wouldn''t be any good as defenders either.

[quote user="KeiranShikari"]sorry but i''ll take the word of every single management team that russ has worked under over what some troll on an internet forum has to say. Russ clearly gives his all and is a great ambassador for the club. Passion is something that''s missing in modern day football, Russell marting is a passionate man.[/quote]

It''s not trolling to say he''s a useless centre back, he just is.

Great ambassador and all that but I''d rather have somebody who''s good than a nice bloke any day of the week

This was a thread designed to congratulate Russ on good work with the community and football club. It''s a shame some have used it to continue their Martin agendas.

Well he has to do something to earn that handsome salary he receives, as his defending certainly didn''t warrant it!

Can someone tell me of another player in say the last 20 years who was so active in the community? Bryan Gunn i can think of as probably the only other? give the man the recognition he deserves.

Many many people spend their lives unselfishly doing good works - without a camera on them.

Football players don''t have a monopoly on charitable works.

Lessingham and Hoola, in your comments on this thread you don''t seem to jump to Martin''s defense regarding his actions during games, both as a Captain and a defender.

Just looking with a honest eye at a player doesn''t make a bitter person, just as many good works and being a truly nice gent doesn''t make a good defender / captain.

I think it''s the fact there''s an anti-Martin thread every other day is what''s getting on people''s tits, i think. Most would admit he''s not the greatest but the amount of vitriol he gets compared to the rest of the defence is a bit absurd.

@Number9
To validate your constant sniping at Russell Martin, would you please tell us how many, and which exactly, of the "two goals conceded per game" were RM''s fault? It would also help if you assigned responsibility for the other goals conceded to whoever was at fault for them. We might then be able to better judge how justified your constant picking on RM actually is. Otherwise, why don''t you just shut up?

You so funny!

We had a group of defenders, most of them struggled to keep the ball out.

Martin bears responsibility as part of that failing group.

Martin bears greater responsibility than those other defenders because he is senior in age and the captain. He should be able to do his job well and lead the others.

Some of that failing group have gone now, and while we hope that the new defenders brought in will raise the quality of the group, Martin is in focus because he has struggled when he should have been exemplary, yet we are regularly fed media articles telling us what a fine gent he is.

Well done Russ for all your community & charity work you do off the pitch, great award which is fully deserved

'''' RUSSELL Martin has picked up Norwich City’s PFA Community Champion of the Year award for 2016-17. 

The Canaries'' captain was nominated by the Club’s Community Sports Foundation for his outstanding contribution to the community. 

CSF Chief Executive Ian Thornton said: "Russ has continued to be involved with the Foundation at every opportunity, visiting our various programmes, taking part in hospital visits, and giving up his time to support young players in our Under 18 Shadow Squad. 

"He is a model professional and a terrific ambassador for the Club and Foundation, and we hope this award goes some way towards expressing our gratitude for his hard work and commitment." 
Photo published for RUSSELL MARTIN WINS AWARD FOR COMMUNITY WORK

He''s a top man, and a good defender.

I was lucky enough to see his equaliser at Anfield - when he rushed home for the birth of his son, but then dashed back north for the game. Proper commitment to the cause, and no prima donna.

Also felt that reflected very well on Mrs Martin, to recognise his importance to the team, and for the support she showed.

I''m fed up with the constant criticism of the players now, we all make mistakes, and I think we have a better squad with Russ in it. I hope he''s lifting some silverware with us next season.

Number 9 i view him on this thread for the genuine caring person he is, i view him on the pitch with the view that he will always give his best, which sometimes of course not be good enough, but i take comfort from the fact that so many people with greater knowledge than me keep selecting and putting faith in him, simple really.

I can agree with much of that Lessingham, perhaps if he wasn''t captain he would have less expectation on his shoulders on the pitch.

As to the people selecting the players, the past couple of seasons alone should tell you that sometimes they don''t seem to know more than the fans.

My main complaint about some of these comments was that this thread was designed to advertise the fact that Martin won this award. In an age where the loyalty of footballers is questioned and some are viewed to be in it just for the money, this is refreshing. Russell Martin is not doing this as a PR exercise, he''s doing these activities because it''s something that matters to him. Can we not commend him for this, rather than getting in another load of nasty snipes? There''s countless other threads discussing his footballing ability, although I do notice that no other players are subjected to such hyperbole, and many of these have vastly underperformed too. Classic scapegoating I suppose.