Sign in to follow this  
Greavsy

Whittaker offers

Just read Russell Martins comments on Whittakers options /possible moves

"He could play in the Championship with his eyes shut for another year or two"

That would explain a lot!

Hope he finds a decent club/level.

Feel for Whitts as he had some great times with us. Sadly Pinto has ushered him out, and when you''re not being selected when the club has no recognised left back then there''s not really a way back.

Definitely the right decision to let him go though, as an aging member of the squad probably on decent wages. But I certainly wish him well though!

We only had one year options, so any transfer would have been for a minimal amount and there''s no guarantee at all that anyone would sign these guys for a fee - considering the presumed level of their contracts with us. Releasing them makes perfect sense for all parties.

So are now ignoring the fact that neither of them are good enough?

For me, neither was a first choice but ok as back-up - Whitts hardly ever let us down when called on this season - but it''s expensive to continue to carry such players.

Looking at it objectively, he is a good, reliable pro with a lot of experience for the level we''re playing at. On the other side, at his age he is not going to improve, he is not going to be worth a lot in terms of transfer fee if sold, and he was signed for the Premier League, probably on Premier wages.

With Pinto as clear first-choice, and players like Ben Godfrey and Harry Tofollo potential ready to cover the first team, there really was only one sensible option.

Solid cover, so can imagine he''ll end up a bench warmer at the team promoted from the play offs. I doubt he''ll want to cut his wages by moving back to Scotland.

Found myself sitting very close to Whitts who was with his wife and little girl over at Longwater this morning where we were all chilling out & drinking coffee

Got me to thinking that I feel a bit sorry for released players, kids have to move school and lose friends, Wife has to move home away from friends, must be an upheaval for the family

Then hubby said don''t feel too sorry for them he''s probably getting paid £20k a week until the end of June for his troubles - Trust you men to bring us soppy ladies back to earth ha ha

20k a week for drinking coffee, i could do that job!!

To be fair Whitts is a great pro, never seems to complain and is very much a team player, hope he finds a good club, deserves that, probably Hibs would probably be perfect for him.

Whitts is a decent player to have around. Versatile, useful and

underestimated by the small minded scapegoat merchants.

He should have at least been offered a new contract on reduced terms.

A good pro.

Wouldn''t put much faith in Tofollo been out on loan since 2014 and still cannot command a regular place at 4 very poor sides. 40 odd games in 3 years

Had a mixed career with us but certainly was not ****.  Scored some superb goals (Swansea away for one) and when on form and fully fit as good as anyone. His fom in the run to the end of the promotion season was exceptional. 

He managed to get RVW a goal. Some kind of genius there, surely?!

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Whitts is a decent player to have around. Versatile, useful and

underestimated by the small minded scapegoat merchants.

He should have at least been offered a new contract on reduced terms.

A good pro.

.[/quote]like so many on herehappy with a team of good pros, even if they are crap players

Definitely not hogesar, but in his latter days with us he did seem a bit short of pace compared to the past. But he certainly had some very good periods with us. The Swansea goal a previous poster mentioned was a cracker! Also that cross to RvW was pretty immense. Probably why Ricky scored, didn''t have time to react and think about missing!

Not the best player we''ve ever had but certainly not the worst!

Scored a few lets not forget and filled in unfamiliar roles when needed.

As a few have already said he''s a good honest pro who never complained, did his best and never shirked. Theres a few who could learn from him at all levels!

Good luck Whitts!

"like so many on here

happy with a team of good pros, even if they are *** players"

Regards Whittaker?

Who said anything about being happy?

We need be aware of our second tier status whereby the likes of Whittaker, wages apart, represent useful back-up.

I would be happy if we were back in the PL and would be able to have better in that role.

As for **** player. Well that''s a matter of opinion as the opposing views in this thread demonstrate.

Or the defence splitting pass for Redmonds goal at Wembley. For the break that saw him skip past Mings for our first against the binners in the play off at CR.

[quote user="Carrow89"]Or the defence splitting pass for Redmonds goal at Wembley. For the break that saw him skip past Mings for our first against the binners in the play off at CR.[/quote]

Is Whittaker a full back or an attacking player?