Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Goalkeeping situation

So where do you stand on this ?

Do we go with Rudd, McGovern and Jones ?

Do we try to find someone to take McGovern ?

Do we need a new number one, if yes, who ?

I imagine a new number one will be signed - Webber referenced the goalkeeper position in his interviews when talking about recruitment.

If someone wants McGovern I''m sure they would sell, but expect he''ll be around another season.

Can see Rudd being sold as he has some value but probably not Championship quality.

McGovern does not inspire confidence in me at all and just remember that Declan Rudd will be approaching 27 when the season starts. His career has not moved forward for several years now and loan spells at Preston and then Charlton maybe tells you his level so for me we need a new No.1.

McGovern is an excellent shot stopper, and for free was worth a punt. But number one? Not for me.

Rudd was ok when he got a run last season, but had an error in him, and not sure he is good enough for a permanent number 1, but ahead of McGovern for me.

Personally not seen enough of Jones for much of an opinion, but looked ok in the cup matches I''ve seen him in.

A new number 1 is required for me, but happy to strengthen the back 4 first.

We cannot possibly go into next season with either McGovern or Rudd as our number one ''keeper'' (and I know little of Jones, but assume he is raw.)

Sell either the two (if possible) to help fund the purchase of a goalkeeper to instil confidence next season, but that wouldn''t amount to much income and the main benefit would likely be from wages saved.

Dare I say it but that Ip5w1ch goalie (Bart?)seems good and many of their fans reckon he has kept them up this season. He is often MoM and I believe is their player of the season again.

A lot of Binners assume he will be sold in the Summer. £2-3m might do it. Evans always grabs the dosh when ever he can and the player would be attracted by better wages and sounder prospects.

One thing for sure is that he''s too good for them.

Oh! Jones is thirty and has been around the lower leagues for some time.

I assumed he was a youngster. Must''ve missed that signing.

Nb. to self. Concentrate more on the intricate dealings of your beloved club Mr. Superfan.

Rudd over McGovern but can''t see us getting out of this league with either of them in goal.

McGovern was just a terrible signing. Not unlike Andreu.

I despair about goalkeepers.

Robert Green, And Marshall both in their teens when they debuted for us. Gunn was only 23.

Rudd has been here for a number of years and people were always saying, needs to get some time in somewhere else.

Well he is now 27, still young by goalkeeper standards.

If he is genuinely not up to it then get rid or loan out again.

Matthews is now 23. If he is good enough he is old enough.

It is totally unfair to throw a goalkeeper into a crisis, just what happened to Rudd, with our awful defence and then if he looks nervous he is thrown to the lions.

He played in a poor side in the Prem. It may well be totally different if he is told he is number one in the Championship side.

Jones is not bad. The times he has turned out for the U23''s he''s been given good reviews, but it could be that we will sign a keeper from abroad and get rid of McGovern. The other two plus Mathews will have to be sorted out with one going.

Surprise. We need a first choice keeper who could also stay with us if we go up. Bart fellow is not up to that.

What makes people think Rudd is going to be sold? from what i''ve seen we let Ruddy go because of the cost to wages. If money is as tight as being mentioned by Steve Stone and were looking to sign a new keeper better than Rudd or McGovern, they might aswell have just sign Ruddy back on again for the year and save on a transfer/signing on fee.

Had a look at the Charlton forum and the general opinion of Rudd was that he was championship level, but had made some errors recently behind what is a dodgy defence.

So how much does a solid championship number 1 cost? Plus wages? Aren''t we pretty much at the same number that Ruddy would be getting paid.

I hope you''re right NBS , but I would be willing to give Rudd a chance...if we invest in our defense and the budget isn''t high enough for another GK...

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]I hope you''re right NBS , but I would be willing to give Rudd a chance...if we invest in our defense and the budget isn''t high enough for another GK...[/quote]Me too. He''s better with his feet than either Ruddy or McGovern IMO, more presence than McGovern and more agility/speed than Ruddy. Put a solid defence in front of him and I think he''ll be fine.

When I watched Rosler''s Fleetwood at the weekend (wasn''t impressed), their keeper was playing a sweeper role - very comfortable with the ball at his feet. I wonder if we''re looking for that type of keeper? Lots of clubs seem to be trying to play out from the back either to a defender on the edge of the box or to a player wide on the touchline. To do that, you need a keeper who passes the ball well. From what I''ve seen, our current ones aren''t good at doing that.

McGovern was an AN signing (like Andreu), so I wonder if he''ll be up for sale. Can''t be a high earner compared to Klose & Naismith though, can he?

There seems to be a bit of a rumour doing the rounds that if we get Uwe Rosler as manager Angus Gunn will follow him. They both were together at Citeh. There was some talk of him going out on loan to Fleetwood next season so putting two and two together....All speculation and will probably come to nothing but if Gunn is anywhere near as good as his old man we could do a lot worse.

Angus Gunn on a season loan from Man City. He is making the bench there. They loan him out whilst deciding on his future. If we get Rossler then Young Gunn being played as a sweeper keeper as Pep likes it makes some sense

McGovern and Rudd are not the answer long term.

Not really seen much of jones to comment, perhaps give him a run in a few pre season friendlies but he''s experienced and knows the leagues so who knows?

Never really understood why Rudd was deemed ok to be suitable as back up goalie in the premier league but not in the championship. He even had a run inthe first team in the PL with some good perfomances. One glaring error seemed to cost him big time.   Had fantastic season on loan at Preston and then discarded by AN in favour of McGovern who imo is no better.  Really hope he gets the chance to become first choice.

It''s an odd one, Declan is now 26 and has played more than enough football for City to be able to make their mind up about him.

"One glaring error seemed to cost him big time."

I assume you are talking about Rudd''s mix up with DeLaet which was, IMO, the latter''s fault.

Rudd is ok and might possibly fit the bill but he doesn''t seem to have developed into the goalie we thought he would be.

BUT he was badly treated by AN who pushed him backwards in the queue behind two ageing ''keepers and then loaned him out to the lower league.

For this reason our estimation of him has gone backwards.

We need a solid No 1. with Rudd as back up but with a decent chance to prove his worth.

The other two have been a waste of money, imo. Have we a youngster who could be third choice?

If not I would tend to prefer Jones ahead of McGovern (the stopper) who is probably on the higher wages of the two.

I think the majority of the work this summer will go into the outfield defence- I believe Rudd will be considered adequate behind a much improved defensive department, with one of the older two leaving to trim the wage bill further.