Sign in to follow this  
Carrow89

Confident about next season?

I am.The players appear up for it. I believe there are also now few of the youngsters who will break through, and act as cover. Next seasons squad will have to balance the need to get promoted, with ability to cope the following season if we don''t. I would have been concerned had we simply stagnated since AN left. We haven''t, far from it. Maybe with a slimmed down squad there won''t be those who are griping because they are not playing, or shouldn''t be here. Signings should be for the long term, and wanting to get stuck in. Roll on August.

Sort our defence and then yes, very confident. Our attack, as goals scored this season shows, is one of the best in the league. Onto next season, the Murphys will only get better, Maddison will be fighting for a starting place, Pritchards showing his true abilities at last, Oliveiras a very good championship striker and Wes easily has another season in him.

Key signings in defence and DM needed and obviously a head coach to bring it all together and we should have a squad capable of top 2....but then we had that this season.....therefore the key signing of the summer will be the head coach.

I think the loss of a few ''malcontents'' may well help as well. There was a young lad who had a run out with the U23''s last week. It is that level we need to be looking at. Not older players with a sense of ''entitlement'', or those who don''t seem to be part of it. Nothing''s guaranteed but I''m pleased the club has felt the need to take drastic action. I''m sure other clubs are aware of the same need but they either have not the money or determination to push stuff through.

At the moment Yes. Depends on signings. I''m watching Uwe R at moment ....if Fleetwood go out tonight, we could hear about new coach soon

No reason not to be confident. We have the basis of a promotion squad and Webber has seen exactly what is needed to complete that squad. Get the right head coach in and we should be confident of a big promotion challenge.

Should be able to improve on 8th place which considering our build up to the season just past was to be expected. I''m not convinced we should be that confident though as other teams like Villa and Derby, Leeds will be looking to improve also and since a new defence, new Coach are required how can you be sure. Alex Neil never got a handle on the problem and plently of the underachieving players will remain. The attack is good, the defence will improve, but I don''t see us transforming into an unstoppable team mainly because we are rebuilding.Prediction: Playoffs

And to look at the bright side. Many Championship teams would love to be in our position...You''ve got to be in it to win it and we''re competitors not bystanders!

[quote user="KiwiScot"]Should be able to improve on 8th place which considering our build up to the season just past was to be expected. I''m not convinced we should be that confident though as other teams like Villa and Derby, Leeds will be looking to improve also and since a new defence, new Coach are required how can you be sure. Alex Neil never got a handle on the problem and plently of the underachieving players will remain. The attack is good, the defence will improve, but I don''t see us transforming into an unstoppable team mainly because we are rebuilding.Prediction: Playoffs[/quote]I would disagree about the underachieving players. I would suggest it was more about players causing ''trouble''. Two were sold, and two have been released. Whittaker always gave his best, albeit it was not up to it at times. There will be none of those antics next season. A fully committed squad is what has been missing.

If we can keep the side that we put out today, or near as dammit (obv no Ruddy) I can''t see why we shouldn''t be fairly confident - I guess part of it depends who else leaves. Defence clearly needs a reboot, which it will get; the rest needs tinkering with rather than a major overhaul...we''ve had little problem this season going forward.

I can''t see why we can''t keep almost all of those from today. Maybe even Diyks who might think ''better the devil you know'' and stay. Much will depend on the attitude of the squad as the last few games have shown that they can perform as well as we earlier expected. I believe Webber''s sentiment of either knuckle down or get out will provide the change and stimulus that has been missing. Almost to a man those on the pitch today have not been the cause of our failing system. The squad just need thinning out and removing a few thorns. I cannot see a huge number coming in either.

Probably optimistic rather confident for me, hoping my optimism turns to confidence once the new head coach is announced and one or two signings start to appear.

It''s all on the head coach. Oddly I''d feel more confident if we appointed an unknown foreign coach with no record that Webber trusted than some of the ''proven'' names about like Monk and Rosler.

Monk would be okay but I think he''ll end up staying at Leeds, this is also my third time watching Fleetwood this year and the third time they''ve been shocking, Rosler worries me to be honest. I''d rather we try and find the next David Wagner instead of appointing the man Webber recommended to Huddersfield as a backup option.

@Horse Renoir
Fleetwood may have been "shocking" the three times you''ve seen them, but they still came close to winning automatic promotion over the season, I''d say quite an achievement given the circumstances he inherited.

Webber said we need to move the ball quicker and press higher, If the new manager buys into that, we will easily get into the play offs

Well, Fleetwood are out of the play offs so if it is to be Rosler, I wouldn''t be surprised to hear soymething in the next couple of days.

The early announcement was the middle or late May.

Sort the defence out and a replacement for Ruddy as someone alluded to earlier.....and we''ll give any team in the Championship a run for their money......

Well it''s a new season so obviously I''m going to be unrealistically confident .

I mean for crying out loud even starting a season with Roeder in charge, about 34 loanees and no Huckerby I thought maybe we could sneak into the playoffs...

At this point more confident than I felt last summer going into the season with AN incharge,

But yeah, until we know who is training the players and which players he (or she) will be training it''s hard to say.

not confident about next season.

But definitely reasons for optimism

Lol Hogesar. I recall that season. My Everton supporting boss said to me at the time that Roeder was appointed "you''re stuffed then" and I didn''t believe him. Hell, that was one bad period in the life of supporting Norwich.

Yeah I think there were quite a few signs sonyc. Was that the season we got Kieron Gibbs on loan but then played him as a central mid? There were so many loan players I don''t know where to start.

Who was that defender we signed who literally got like one game away against Plymouth and we never saw again. Velasco maybe? Think we signed a CB Stefanovic too...

[quote user="GJP"]At this point more confident than I felt last summer going into the season with AN incharge,

But yeah, until we know who is training the players and which players he (or she) will be training it''s hard to say.[/quote]I''m not so sure if it is simply about training. it is as much about the players having the right mind set, something that was very obvious with Lambert and the players who took us up in2004.Obviously they need to be of the right calibre, but look at Pritchard. Is that down to training ? Why has Joshua Murphy now become first choice when having been previously second to Jacob?i suspect they will not be as many new signings as some folk imagine. But with the deadwood gone and the negative vibes along with them the squad will flourish. Those who do join will need to have the same mindset as is required. To win, nothing less.And I believe they and the whole squad will be totally motivated, as they will know they are here because both them and the club want them to be here.

Well the solution seems obvious and hopefully with Webber, he will have the contacts and expertise to get the players required. Our attacking force at this level combined with the creative force is the best in the league by some way, I just worry heads may be turned in summer.

For me it depends on whom we sign, as coach etc and as players, and also what good players we may have to sell to finance new signings - if we are forced to sell one Murphy, Howson or Pritchard, then I shall be less confident.

It is difficult to forget our poor record in signings over the past few years, and my confidence has been shaken, so I would prefer to keep our best rather than signing unknowns.

Lots of moving parts but my confidence entirely depends on improving the defence. We don''t have to become brilliant but if we can go from being the 22nd best defence to the 14th we''ll be challenging.

Tettey''s Jig wrote the following post at 09/05/2017 1:15 AM:

Well the solution seems obvious and hopefully with Webber, he will have the contacts and expertise to get the players required. Our attacking force at this level combined with the creative force is the best in the league by some way, I just worry heads may be turned in summer.

I honestly don''t worry too much about heads being turned. If we get in a decent manager, which I recon we will, I would expect the players to buy in to the new regime, if they don''t then they are welcome to leave.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]I am confident we can finish in mid-table. It will take a few windows to make the changes needed for further success.[/quote]Why? How many windows did it take Lambert to turn round a squad who had just been relegated, then stuffed 1-7 at home. How many new players did he sign? As VW says above, it will be about a change of the ethos of the squad. Much of which has already begun. I suspect, in no little part, by removing a few ''rotten apples'' who were causing disharmony.I don''t doubt there are two younger centre backs in the lower leagues (or abroad) who could easily step up, just as they will be another striker. We have real quality in the squad, we just need to get in working, as at home to Reading, Brighton and QPR showed. My confidence is based on the recognition that we now have the set up and intent to do that job.

I hope you are right however I stand by my earlier post. The Reading result was a freak one, Brighton were in hangover mode and the QPR game was a dead rubber game so these are not particularly valid games on which to base projections for success. They also ignore that we had the third worst defensive record in the Championship last season.

Should Klose move on this summer then we currently would only have Martin at CB, God help us. Where are the four CBs we need coming from? The Steve Stone interview makes it patently clear that we have to sell to buy and that is with £37 million in parachute payments. How many do you think we can bring in this summer.

We are going to have to make much more use of younger players and that means inconsistentcy but is also an exciting prospect as far as I''m concerned.