Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

The River End

City’s new partners will be lending their

name to the soon to be rebranded Regency Security Stand, formerly known

as the Norwich & Peterborough Stand. 

It will always be the River End to me !

The old ground had the River end, Main stand and South stand.

So does anyone know why the only other end was named after someone or something? The Barclay?

The Barclay is named after Captain Evelyn Barclay, a former vice-president of the club,

And the south stand is after sir Arthur South, not due it'' being south facing (which I believe it isn''t)

[quote user="Greavsy"]The Barclay is named after Captain Evelyn Barclay, a former vice-president of the club,

And the south stand is after sir Arthur South, not due it'' being south facing (which I believe it isn''t)[/quote]

So what was the South stand called before?

i wonder if the club will be paid a fee or as this company is taking over the security match day they will do that free to pay for advertising ?

it will free up the money paid for security for extra wages for players that way

Does anyone know how much these kind of sponsorship deals bring in individually?

i would guess not that expensive that''s why the smaller companies like Regency and Galway coffee are interested hardly huge money like corals to pump into advertising

i do not know why more national companies are not interested we sell out our games

i would be interested if Regency pay us anything but instead are security on match days free of charge to cover the costs

[quote user="Greavsy"]And the south stand is after sir Arthur South, not due it'' being south facing (which I believe it isn''t)[/quote]A PinkUn myth Greavsy.  The South Stand has always been called the South Stand, long before Sir Arthur joined the board.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]The old ground had the River end, Main stand and South stand.

So does anyone know why the only other end was named after someone or something? The Barclay?[/quote]It was named after Captain Evelyn Barclay after paid to have the roof put on.

[quote user="Greavsy"]The Barclay is named after Captain Evelyn Barclay, a former vice-president of the club,

And the south stand is after sir Arthur South, not due it'' being south facing (which I believe it isn''t)[/quote]

It was not named after Arthur South.

[quote user="Donkey dangler"][quote user="Greavsy"]The Barclay is named after Captain Evelyn Barclay, a former vice-president of the club,

It was not named after Arthur South.[/quote]

Wikipedia says different.

The South Stand is on the site of the former South Stand, which was named in honour of Sir Arthur South.

Probably a good idea not to trust Wikipedia. I never do. I''m with Lapps that the South Stand was always called that. If it wasn''t it would be good to know it''s former name. I believe the River End was always that until N&P but the Barclay was originally the Station End before the good captain shelled out for it''s roof.

It''s not the first time, wiki is wrong LDC!

I have been trying to see if I can find out and previous names, and drawn a total blank, thus I must deduce it''s always been the south stand, as suggested by lappinitup.

Unless anyone else knows otherwise.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Probably a good idea not to trust Wikipedia. I never do. I''m with Lapps that the South Stand was always called that. If it wasn''t it would be good to know it''s former name. I believe the River End was always that until N&P but the Barclay was originally the Station End before the good captain shelled out for it''s roof.
[/quote]Wonder if we sent him the repair tab after that Man Utd troglodyte fell through it.....

[quote user="Greavsy"]It''s not the first time, wiki is wrong LDC!

I have been trying to see if I can find out and previous names, and drawn a total blank, thus I must deduce it''s always been the south stand, as suggested by lappinitup.

Unless anyone else knows otherwise.[/quote]I''ve always known it as the South stand, long before Arthur South joined the board. This piece confirms it........

History of the South Stand

Prior to the construction

and subsequent opening of the Jarrold Stand in 2004, the previous stand

had been known since the early 1950’s as the South Stand.

That name later came to be seen as being particularly apt because of Sir Arthur South’s connection to the club.

As

Lord Mayor he headed the public appeal for funding in 1957 that saved

the Club. He joined City’s board in 1966 and became the club’s

chairman in 1973.

The

stand was partially opened for the game against Sheffield United on 31

January 2004, and fully opened for the next home match against West Ham.

It was opened by Ken Brown, a former manager of both clubs.

www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich-city-name-irish-coffee-company-the-galway-roast-as-sponsor-of-carrow-road-south-stand

It''s a while since I read it and my memory is a bit vague but I pretty sure in Ted Bell''s history of the club he described the association of Sir Arthur and the South stand as a ''compromise'' to recognise his part in rescuing the club.

We need some of the ''elder statesmen'' on here to confirm this one. I''ve found out something new though, I never knew the Barclay was previously known as the Station End. Makes sense when you think about it.

Regardless of the sponsors, I''m of the age where it will always be the River End, Barclay, Main stand and South stand. But, we should thank them for giving us their money!