Sign in to follow this  
ec-p

AN on Talksport today

Just a heads up that AN is the live studio guest on Jim White''s show today, for those that are interested.

Jim White is a fan of his own voice nowadays. Transfer deadline day has turned into some sort of billy big balls

Jap Stam sounded impressive as always, kinda seemed a bit perplexed by Alex revealing he told the players to not lose before Ipswich first leg, then spoke about how they see things differently in Holland and how he expects his team to win every game.

Not been mentioned much and is as unrealistic as someone like Wagner but I think he would be a brilliant choice for us if we could somehow tempt him away from Reading

[quote user="Horse Renoir"]Jap Stam sounded impressive as always, kinda seemed a bit perplexed by Alex revealing he told the players to not lose before Ipswich first leg, then spoke about how they see things differently in Holland and how he expects his team to win every game.

Not been mentioned much and is as unrealistic as someone like Wagner but I think he would be a brilliant choice for us if we could somehow tempt him away from Reading[/quote]That went well at CR. 6 goals let in by half time.

We lost 4-0 at home under Lambert once to a team 2 leagues below us. Teams have off games. Let''s be honest as well, it was one of those days where all the hit and hopes went in and second balls fell nicely for us.

Reading have been seriously impressive this year, maybe even more so than Huddersfield tbh.

We won''t be going for Stam and i doubt we''d interest him even if we did but I rate him really highly.

AN, intentionally or not has been allowed to use NCFC as a stepping stone into the big time.

He is now one of the in crowd with appearances on the likes of TalkSport in which he exudes the ''I am'' and the presenters of the programme swoon all over him with statements bumping up his credibility and suggesting that it won''t be long before his talents get him another job at a highish level.

This all contrasts with his lack of tactical awareness, his tinkering, his apparently abrasive relationship with some if not all his players, but most of all his disastrous transfer market dealings/choices which can be summed up as a series of inappropriate and expensive signings whereby he was alone in being unable to realise the real areas of weakness in the team

Is there any one of his signings that can be considered 100% successful? Yes, but just two Doliveira and Pritchard.

Even the supposed rest of the better ones Pinto (brilliant attacker not so defender,) Klose (classy but blows hot and cold) have question marks against them. Both as complicit as Russel Martin in a poor season of defending against second tier attackers.

As for the expensive semi-flop Naismith (well we didn''t achieve anything with him in the team when most needed ie. stave off relegation, follow up promotion?)

Then there''s the expensive Wildshut (who?) and sick-note Jarvis to consider.

To say nothing of the hapless Andreu and the mighty McGovern.

Now we need to sell to strengthen apparently.

Neil''s transfer activities achieved failure and have brought the club to it''s knees financially.

Who sanctioned all these mistakes?

It doesn''t matter to him though. He''s now one of the in-crowd and will get another decent job soon.

We''ll see.  I''m tempted to say I''d be happy if one of the top end championship clubs recruited him next season, but he was able to bluff his way through a good first half-season with us.  Anyway, I suspect people thinking about taking him will look at his record at least a bit and that will probably mean he is looking at his next job lower down the leagues than us.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]We''ll see.  I''m tempted to say I''d be happy if one of the top end championship clubs recruited him next season, but he was able to bluff his way through a good first half-season with us.  Anyway, I suspect people thinking about taking him will look at his record at least a bit and that will probably mean he is looking at his next job lower down the leagues than us.[/quote]Speaking of AN''s record, only two others (O''Neil and Lambert) have bettered his Norwich City win ratio of 41% in all the years since Ron Saunders was appointed. Maybe, as in Chris Hughton''s case, "the record" is a better guide than the jaundiced views of NCFC supporters. [:D]

All built on his impact first few months when he inherited an under-performing PL squad and was undoubtedly effective.

He caught lucky, yet you seem to be suggesting he was sacked unfairly.

What is his win percentage since those heady days?

It''s as relevant to ask what was his win percentage during those heady days?

He''s a football manager. They get sacked in the end. Even those that have had heady days.

I hope he goes on to do well. Intelligent, honest and articulate. If he can regain that bullish defiance and the drive that got us promoted, he''ll be a success somewhere.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]All built on his impact first few months when he inherited an under-performing PL squad and was undoubtedly effective.

He caught lucky, yet you seem to be suggesting he was sacked unfairly.

What is his win percentage since those heady days?[/quote]Right on cue Broadstairs? [:D] And no, I wasn''t implying anything about his sacking, only drawing attention to his win ratio with us. For info the breakdown for the three seasons is: Championship 2014-15 65%, EPL 2015-16 23%, Championship 2016-17 41%. AN''s league match average with us is thus actually 43%, my original figure of 41% having been taken from the NCFC Wikipedia entry which very likely includes Cup matches as well.

Poor manager in every department except for deluding some fans about his abilities. If does get another job won''t last a season and disappear completely. Possible escape route would be north of the border.

WCC.

"Championship 2016-17 41%." win ratio.

I would suggest that 41% (ie. four wins in TEN games) is very poor considering the players he had at his disposal and the money made available to him.

In fact, according to your figures, he went from 6 out of 10 to 4 out of ten despite having more knowledge of the club, the players, English football, the league and the above mentioned advantages re: squad and finances.

He was going backwards and should have been disposed of earlier.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]All built on his impact first few months when he inherited an under-performing PL squad and was undoubtedly effective. He caught lucky, yet you seem to be suggesting he was sacked unfairly. What is his win percentage since those heady days?[/quote]Right on cue Broadstairs? [:D] And no, I wasn''t implying anything about his sacking, only drawing attention to his win ratio with us. For info the breakdown for the three seasons is: Championship 2014-15 65%, EPL 2015-16 23%, Championship 2016-17 41%. AN''s league match average with us is thus actually 43%, my original figure of 41% having been taken from the NCFC Wikipedia entry which very likely includes Cup matches as well.[/quote]

I think this is a really interesting illustration of the way that even a pretty blunt statistic like a manager''s win percentage can cast light on his performance when it''s examined. 

If we assume a Championship owner is new to the scene (so knows nothing about AN) and asks about his win percentage:

For the first (half) season 14/15, a 65% win percentage looks pretty good, reflected in the fact that AN then got the side promoted via the playoff final.  So far so good.

The 23% for the Prem season is pretty poor, even allowing for the relatively weak squad.  Also remembering there was a long stretch of games after the start of the New Year when the stat was 0%....

Then for his final season, 41% reflects the fact that he did much worse than in his first season, which is pretty damning especially considering the squad was stronger overall than when he took it over.   I''d probably also look at the stat for the team''s league position when he was sacked, which would be equally bad.

So if I were an ambitious Championship owner thinking about recruiting a new manager, it wouldn''t take much investigation along these lines to make me really concerned whether AN would be the right guy.