Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Eddie

HUGHES

[quote]hey wundaboy,where the hell have you been.dont you even know what players we have bought.dont strike me as much of a norwich fan,either that or too much wundadust at the weekend mate.with regard to hu...[/quote]

Oh thanks a bunch.

FYI, I was told by a much "better" fan than myself that we only had him on loan. I shall be speaking with fan in question shortly for misinforming me.

I was at the binners game, so yeah, maybe too much wundadust...

I support what I say about Hughes though, Ill get another chance to see him on Saturday, have a better idea then.

Hughes , In my view :

POSITIVES

Good Engine.

Good Leader - no coincidence he''s had his best 2 games for the club since getting the armband.

Tracks back well and adds defensive cover when others go missing or get caught out of position.

Clearly plays for the badge on the shirt - did you see how much it meant to him on Sunday ?

Definitely a better player than Jarrett.

NEGATIVES

Poor distribution.

Gets drawn to the ball too easily in the middle third and the team subsequently loses shape.

Bad decision making when in possession - often runs down ''dead ends'' , doesn''t pass early enough and gets outnumbered as a consequence , not creative - plays the simple ball too often.

Poor in the tackle - does not win the ball regularly enough when tackling and often arrives at the tackle too late (a la Mattias Jonson) which at some point will earn him a red.

Hughes is exactly what I expected, a replacement for Holt not for Francis.  He is, as mentioned, a "spoiler" and his job in the team is very simple.  I''m sure Worthy gives him clear instructions to give the opposition midfield no time on ball, win it back and play simple passes to Safri, Hux, Marney, McVeigh or whoever and let them do the damage.

He also brings a lot to the table as captain, he is vocal and he quite clearly has more of a positive effect than Flem both verbally and in leading by example.  Hughes seems to encourage his team mates and the crowd and that is not to be overlooked.

He is not the best passer of the ball but we all know that''s not why Worthy has him in the team.  He is IMO going to be out of his depth if we are promoted, just as Holt was but in the is league he will prove very effective.

Ultimately (and as much as it will upset some of you) you need players like him in this league.  Winning this league is not about playing pretty football, it''s about grinding out two results a week.  Both we and Sunderland were not the best footballing sides in this league the year we won it.  Both sides just got into the habit of winning games whether playing well or not and thats what this league is all about.  If you play some nice football along the way, great but it is not an essentail requirement for getting promoted.

Hughes is a hard working Championship player and he adds balance to the side.  You cannot have 11 Huckerbys in the team.

Well said Saint, a poster who I respect and who I think has it spot on.

I like Hughes. I like the fact he gets in people''s faces. I like the fact he''s got attitude. I like his aggression, I like his workrate, I like him as captain.

I don''t like namby pamby nincompoops who come here to play 10 minutes of football and then sod off to Wigan. I like people who care about this football team and will give 100% each and every game.

Hughes has been here two months. He''s not played in a settled side. He hasn''t had time to get to know the runs his colleagues will make, the formation we will play let alone who will actually make the. Imagine that as a midfielder. You look up, you have one third of a second to make your decision, you have to assimilate the opposition, the flow of the game, who is where and who is who. Is it McVeigh, Huckerby, Lisbie, Brennan, Marney, Lord Lucan or Shergar up there with you?

Worthy has taken a lot of stick from me, but in this I applaud him. This guy with Saf could be just the ticket out of this division and all this stuff and nonsense isn''t going to help. Just what is he supposed to do in those two months? Turn water into wine, find a cure for global poverty or spanish bird flu or find life on mars?

This is a good thread and I must say that I concur with the majority of opinions on it (esp Zipper, Saint and Tom).

This team needs a player like Hughes, some one to get stuck in and spoil (unlike Kabbadi Holt). The more games I see, I can see "Hoosey" becoming a fans favourite over the coming season. The captaincy has done him a big favour and will bring him on, I also like the fact that he eggs on the crowd and will do a lap of honour after every home game (and he was only one of three players to do it at Watford, come and acknowledge us anyway).

He is also seeming to bring the team together a bit more (watch the goal celebrations against Northants) which we seemed to be missing after the departures of Malky and Iwan. I believe he is a big influence in the dressing room which will manifest itself on the rest of the squad.

Sorry I forgot a point I wanted to make in my first post.

What impresses me most about Hughes is that it is just like watching a player who has been a City Fan all his life.  Not a guy who has only been associated with the club for a few months.

I entirely agree with the majority view.  After the Plymouth game I defended Hughes against Zipper and others because I think he is a much better player than he is givencredit for and even now, I think he will blossom into something better.

But I may be wrong and there may be no more but you guys are right to say that even if this is as good as he gets, he has unique qualities that we desperately need right now.  He is fierce, he is committed, he is capable of a good pass and he does make himself available.  Captaincy seems to suit his personality and his captaincy will suit this team very well at the moment.  Holt at his best was inspirational but too quiet and self effacing to be a leader.  Hughes is not quiet.

A surprisingly good call by Worthy this!!

[quote]No im not fleming and think fleming is crap to. hughes just int the man for the job would rather see green have it than him. what is it that makes you all think hughes is so good? Think you need to wa...[/quote]

Are you Melanie Lofty in disguise (or maybe a sibling)?! She couldn''t spell either. It wasn''t like that in my day

Well regarding all the talk of HUGHES i have to say that i totally disagree with PELKA YELLOWS saying that he shouldn''t even be in the team such comments are absolutely ridiculous. The blokes out of his mind. As far as i''m concerned after watching Hughes from the start of the season i felt that he had the potential to really be a good player for Norwich but he just needed games to get to grips and find his feet. I totally agree with Hughes being appointed Captain, because he has a drive going forward not only with the ball at his feet but also mentally. He isn''t technically as gifted as SAFRI and can''t always pick out a good pass but there are times when he really shows that he can pick a good pass, i feel that he needs to consistently do it to really be classed as good as SAFRI. I think that his anticipation, and passing range are the key to him being a success. For me ANDY HUGHES best assets are determination and work rate. Hughes will improve in time and become a better player.

[quote]Hughes , In my view : POSITIVES Good Engine. Good Leader - no coincidence he''s had his best 2 games for the club since getting the armband. Tracks back well and adds defensive cover when others ...[/quote]

"...doesn''t pass early enough and gets outnumbered as a consequence"

He didn''t waste much time getting the ball out to McVeigh which resulted in the own goal against Plymouth. I''m hopefull this is an area of his game which will improve as he atunes to his new team mates.

By the way, thanks everyone, excellent response to this thread.