Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Eddie

HUGHES

Now that we''ve all had a chance to see Hughes and how he''s been developing during his time here (albeit with an injury interuption) I thought I''d open a debate on what kind of a player we think he is/can be for us. Pro''s and cons, how far can he go? What does the future hold for him? What does he add to the club (or does he detract from it)? £500K - fair price? As current captain I think he''s an important player to assess, and I know that opinions are divided on him, so thought it''d be good to have a look at all the opinions in one place.

Personally, I think he adds to the team. He does the bits Worthy likes, i.e. works hard, has good engine, covers every blade of grass, but, contrary to what some believe, I don''t see this as being where his game ends. He can also pass the ball, admittedly a fair bit of the time he plays the simple ball, but there''s a lot to be said for that. That said he has been increasingly driving forward, has the ability to pick out a killer ball - i.e. assisting Ashton v Palace, and can get in the box for a shot. Equally importantly he can get in the box for a goal line clearance!

I think he makes an excellent captain, from the moment he arrived at the club you could see his leadership qualities. I thought in his first few appearances that if you''d brought a group of neutrals to the club, somehow blinded them to the armband, and asked them to pick out the captain, more would have pointed him out than Flemming - so I agree with Nige in that he was a natural replacement for Flemming. He''s had the armband for 2 games so far, 2 wins, and we''ll have to see just how permanent his appointment is.

Although I said he has been increasingly driving forward, I would like to see even more of this from him, as he is a different type of player to Francis and for me the jury is still out on whether he can fill that particular role. Suffice to say I am eager for him to put the ball in the net. I also feel that with the parntership of Safri and Hughes so far we have been a little lacking in creativity in the middle of the park which I why I feel the team benefits from McVeigh playing in the hole, linking the midfield and attack.

If he can start scoring for us, and he''s obviously capable (I think he scored 19 times during his time at Reading, although how long it took him to do this I haven''t checked), then we might just be calling him a bargain come the end of the season, especially if we actually do manage promotion. But if we do get out of this league I still reckon as things stand Worthy will be looking to bring players in to that central midfield area and Hughes might just be looking over his shoulder.

In short, good start, but hoping there''s still more to come. I think it''s needed.

my thoughts on hughes and blunt think he should not even be in the side dont no y we brought him seen nothing in him since he came to the club he spends half the game on the floor and dont have a clue y he is the captian.Do u see something diffrent to me in the way he playes? because people i talk to say he is crap.

[quote]my thoughts on hughes and blunt think he should not even be in the side dont no y we brought him seen nothing in him since he came to the club he spends half the game on the floor and dont have a clue...[/quote]

I respect all posters views, but for God''s sake man learn to speel and use GRAMMAR.

Personally, Hughes looks like a great player.

Excellent Captain as well.

500K - Awesome buy.

I think he''s going to revel in his new role as captain, he seems to be the sort of player who is going to thrive on the responsibility & pressure.

By the way Pelka, my 10 year old son has better grammar than you. If you want people to really read your posts and take them seriously, then use spellcheck & fullstops, commas, etc are also desired.

[quote]my thoughts on hughes and blunt think he should not even be in the side dont no y we brought him seen nothing in him since he came to the club he spends half the game on the floor and dont have a clue...[/quote]

You''re obviously some kind of comedian - Or should I say comedienne Unfortunately, you''re not very good one - And illiterate to boot

[quote]I respect all posters views, but for God''s sake man learn to speel and use GRAMMAR. Personally, Hughes looks like a great player. Excellent Captain as well. 500K - Awesome buy.[/quote]

Learn to speel?

Quality

[quote]o i am sorry got a word wrong.sorry for the grammar its just a few words not a paper is it. get a life !!!!!!! hughes is not good sell him !!!!!!!!![/quote]

(after having this translated)

Please, no polluting of the thread with unsubstantiated nonsense. If you think he''s bad, say why. Quote the instances you''ve seen him play and describe what about his performances failed to impress you. Suggest areas in his game you feel require further attention. Above all be objective, eloquent and cordial.

[quote]Well let him go he is at the club. should never in a million years have a starting place.[/quote]

I respectfully disagree.

I think he''s a brilliant captain, his playing style is simple yet effective, he''s good going forward, puts in levly balls and looks assured whether it be in possession, tackling or simply running off the ball, or marking players.

Buy him up Worthy.

And Davenport as well.

[quote]o i am sorry got a word wrong.sorry for the grammar its just a few words not a paper is it. get a life !!!!!!! hughes is not good sell him !!!!!!!!![/quote]

Get a life ?

It''s obvious you''re tucked safely away in your own little world

That''s extremely narrow-minded:- We sold Francis, released Mulryne so we needed an exprienced midfielder with good technical ability. Hughes fulfills that well, he gives 100% on the park and has good motivating skills. What did you expect to arrive at Colney? Roy Keane?!

From what I see Hughes is a replacement for Holt and I think we have gained on that particular transaction. I like his no nonsense tackling and like his recognition of the fans. I think both his passing and getting forward are considerably better than many seem to think.

i am full in support of pelka yellow i believe that Hughes is a poor player and hasn''t got the quality to play for the yellows. He spends half his time on the floor and gives the ball away too much, and to give him the captaincy was a complete joke. We need to act now and say no to andy Hughes.

No im not fleming and think fleming is crap to. hughes just int the man for the job would rather see green have it than him. what is it that makes you all think hughes is so good? Think you need to watch him more.

IMO Hughes is the new gary holt for worthy.   He is clearly rated and will play when fit.  From what I have seen so far his positives are

• excellent ''energy'' - covers acres during a game, defensively and going forward, clearly enjoys and cares about how he and the team performs.
  • excellent personal skills - works the fans well and is a natural leader - a good choice as captain  

Unfortunately what I am not convinced about is

• his ability as a ball winner - goes to ground far too quickly, rarely tackles and rarely wins a ball
  • he seems incapable of keeping a shape, doing a flem (& holt before him) & follows the ball round the pitch leaving gaps behind him.
  • his ability to use a ball.  Yes he has made some good passes (THAT palace pass was sublime) but 8 games in so has every player so far.  As a central midfielder he needs to use the ball better, not just shovel it around a corner - when he takes more than a couple of touches the subsequent pass usually looses possession. 
  • I cant see him getting more than a couple of goals this season, we need goals from the middle of the park to succeed (and I cant see safri doing so either - will they get to 5 between them?) 

His has all the hallmarks of being a worthy player - hard working, three lungs but limited ability on the ball - but with the added bonus of being the first player worthy has signed that has had ANY leadership quality whatsoever - and boy have we missed that. 

You can have a cricket captain who is picked for being a captain rather than his ability with a bat or ball - but I am not convinced we have that luxury in football. 

We suffered relegation last season because of a reliance on this type of player by the manager and I dont want to see our season suffer for the same reasons this year.

Hopefully he will prove me wrong, that he is improving, the responsibility of being captain will improve him and his passing & ball winning gets better as he gels with his new found team mates (why is that a valid excuse for our performances when sheff utd also have many new players yet sit top of the league?).   As captain he will get the games to show us one way or another.

OTBC

[quote]Hmmm, Fleming gets dropped, robbed of the captaincy & then Pelka starts posting on here slagging off Hughes..... You''re not Flem in disguise are you?[/quote]

In that case, is Darryl Clarke1 here Holt?

[quote]I respectfully disagree. I think he''s a brilliant captain, his playing style is simple yet effective, he''s good going forward, puts in levly balls and looks assured whether it be in possession, tackl...[/quote]

what are you on about? we''re talking about hughes here, not marney or lisbie - the same hughes WE ALREADY BOUGHT for £500 000 - unless ur the reading chairman in disguise trying to make a few quid here...? but on the topic - hughes is a great asset - wonderful leadership skills - great motivator - leads by example - tough tackling without being dirty - can play wonderful balls - often plays it simple, but hey, would you rather have david bentley''s trickery giving away possession every time? i think not - and hopefully his eye for goal will come as he gets forward more and more - excellent partner for safs as long as we have creativity in the form of mcveigh or hucks in behind front two!!! i like the new formation and say we stick to it for the time being as its working....finally our season is back on track (hopefully) and i think hughes leading the troops into the frontline has been a part in getting us back - much better than fleming anyway - and the way he applauds the supporters at the end is fantastic - a real advert for the respect footballers should show those of us who shell out our hard earned money to watch them earn theirs!!!

For the type of player he is - all action, loads of energy, breaking up play, etc. - he''s fine for this Division (much in the mould of Gary Holt). No problems, every team needs a player like that in midfield - a spoiler, someone who breaks down play. However, he is not the type of player that will make things happen very often in an attacking sense and I feel that we need someone more creative in midfield, as we''ve got nobody that will be direct, run hard at the opposition and beat them, or produce some quality in the final third of the pitch. One of the few examples of this was when WLY-Paul ran at the Plymouth defence from around the half way line to create the first goal, and he was playing as a striker. Of course, the creative midfielder also needs to track back for defensive duties.

Youssef Safri is a great passer and can also produce a clever pass, but he likes to sit deep. Hucks will run at defenders, as we all know, but with very mixed results. Looking at other Championship sides, the majority of them are able to go from defence to attack with speed, whereas we go sideways with our passes or back to the back four, who end up putting it forward 40 metres in the hope that it might stick with the front players. We are very ponderous and predictable going forward; I reckon that''s because of the type of player we have in that part in midfield (Hughes or Jarrett). We haven''t got the balance that we had in the past two seasons, with Francis as the marauding attacking central midfielder and Holt / Safri as the defensive one.  

Options? Hughes as the sitting midfeilder and Safri as the attacking one (although it''s not his natural style) - does Saffs have the pace or attacking skills for this,? Safri or Hughes sitting and A.N.Other attacking - either a loan player or someone else in the squad before we can buy in January - but who fits the bill at Carrow Road?         

That was one run, Wundaboy, and that was against the Binners! I just don''t think that''s Safri''s naturally an attacking player. 

Hughes is not Francis and he doesn''t play the same sort of game. Francis at his best was a very fine player, skilfull, strong, with an eye for goal. Unfortunately he was also quite petulant wqhich prevented him from being awesome.

On the other hand Hughes does his job of being a spoiler extremely well. He covers the ground well, he gets his foot in and he breaks up play.

I happen to think that he also makes a good captain as he does display natural leadership on the pitch.

What we need is a playmaker playing alongside Hughes and Safri - unfortunately we don''t have that type of player at the Club.

I totally agree with everything said by Zipper, except I''d add tw things to his list of positives. For example, his tracking back. He has added extra bodies to the box, and has a tendency to cover for Greeno on the lines, which is always a useful quality to have.

Like most people what I value most is his enthusiasm for the team - a great leader, gears up the crowd, his tireless work rate is an inspiration to others. But in doing this he does something which I haven''t seen in a Norwich player in a while - he drags the team forward. People say Steven Gerrard acts as a midfield general, dragging the team forward with him - and in Hughes I feel we have a far less talented player who does that. Which in itself is an invaluable skill to have.

[quote]That was one run, Wundaboy, and that was against the Binners! I just don''t think that''s Safri''s naturally an attacking player.[/quote]

Anything against the binners is positive.

And I completely agree, we need a playmaker, got any suggestions?

Maybe pelka would be so kind as to suggest one?

hey wundaboy,where the hell have you been.dont you even know what players we have bought.dont strike me as much of a norwich fan,either that or too much wundadust at the weekend mate.with regard to hughes,i think he is a good player,he has taken time to settle in but now looks quality,having the captaincy will only improve his all round game.by the way i hope we sign ashton when his loan comes to an end what about you wonderboy??