Sign in to follow this  
 Badger

Leeds linked with bid to buy Howson

Leeds in the championship are not likely a likely destination for Howson, although it is very easy to see how any other prem club coming in for his big pay day would easily turn his head.

Gonna a be a big top carnival of rumours this summer. Roll on 1st Sept.

Always been a bit torn on Howson. Technically he is very good and he has some extremely good games and scores some vital goals. But he does also go missing too often for me and perhaps is rather symptomatic of our whole midfield this season who have tended to look great, at home when on top and enjoying plenty of possession but have been found wanting in the crucial away games where they needed to stand up and be counted. He''s just never quite taken games by the scruff of the neck and controlled them in the way I''ve felt he is potentially capable of doing.

For that reason I would not see it as the end of the world if we got an offer too good to refuse and sold him this summer but it would have to be a very good offer. £4m would be an utter joke and is less than half of hi true valuation when you look at recent comparables and any sale for a poor fee and to any team in the same division as us would really send out a very poor message to fans and players alike about our ambitions for next season and where we are as a club.

If he did go, I thought Izzy Brown looked good for Huddersfield last night in a similar position - tall, strong, mobile, box-to-box player who is comfortable with the ball at his feet. It''d be good to tempt him, Solanke or Abraham from Chelsea on loan.

A tactical issue with Howson is where he fits into a typical 4231 or even 433 formation.

We have multiple 10s, all better than Howson in that role, plus multiple high-wider players ruling that out.

Our strategic flaws have surrounded the CDM role and its positioning and operation. This is not entirely suited to Howson either.

Thus a decent bid + a possibility to buy a more suitable role-centred player such as Aaron Mooy = a logical sale.

Parma