Sign in to follow this  
Mason 47

Todd Cantwell

As a rare positive footnote to a generally negative season, Todd Cantwell has been nominated for PL2 player of the season by his peers.

The plaudits this year have often gone to Ebou Adams and Glenn Middleton etc, which says a lot for how good his performance levels must have been.

For all the wailing about transfers, we do have some decent youngsters coming through - including several that AN picked up. It is a big step up to Champs, but let''s hope some more of them push for a place in our first team soon.

Branson, wouldn''t it be nice to see a coach willing to take a chance on more than one or two at a time in each matchday squad?

That''s something we all have to credit both Neil Adams and Alex Neil, thanks to both we do have a very strong young squad available, Thompson staters to look good before his injury.

Rather than watching over paid has been with little interest in Norwich, wouldn''t it be refreshing to see more of the youth given the chance to prove themselves the same game time as the likes of Klose, Jarvis, Yanik, Naismith......

You do have to be careful though - imo Irvine, who knows the game really well, was quite right in his comments about not wanting to set youngsters back by playing them when they aren''t ready.

No doubt about that, but with a match day squad of 17, I''d rather see a few youngsters there involved and gaining experience and hopefully game time.

We have a few very good young players and might well develop better with higher standard of football. Loaning out is great but they need to be challenged and developed.

But for me I''d remove the Murphy''s as youth players the same for the likes of Pritchard & Thompson, they are at an age where they should be good enough to help develop the younger players coming through.

[quote user="Indy"]No doubt about that, but with a match day squad of 17, I''d rather see a few youngsters there involved and gaining experience and hopefully game time.

We have a few very good young players and might well develop better with higher standard of football. Loaning out is great but they need to be challenged and developed.

But for me I''d remove the Murphy''s as youth players the same for the likes of Pritchard & Thompson, they are at an age where they should be good enough to help develop the younger players coming through.[/quote]Aren''t you rather contradicting yourself there? You want the young players to develop, then suggest they sit on the bench with a hope of getting some game time. Whereas you dismiss loans, where the players at playing every week at the level the coaches think they will best develop. No player wants to spend his time sat on the bench, least of all youngsters.

No Carrow, I''m saying to loan them out at higher level than previous season or if they''re good enough get them into our squad, it''s not just about match day but developing with us during the week with potentially higher class players and coaches.

Both, like I said, Maddison played rather well when bought into our championship team, arguably a bigger impact during his limited time, than other bigger named pros!

If your good enough you''re old enough and without being given that chance how do we know just how well they might fit our starting 11.

It''s all about balancing the development but also not suppressing it by loaning out to lower level standards in coaching. Yes game time is important so is quality.

All I would stay it''s better to see a coach / manager have the balls to give the youngsters a chance if the 8 million pound pros don''t put in the performance or effort.

Sometimes it''s the balance of youth and good spine of quality pros which get you there and keep you there, once you start wasting money on journeymen pros it''s a slippery slope, as proven two years ago!

[quote user="Indy"]No Carrow, I''m saying to loan them out at higher level than previous season or if they''re good enough get them into our squad, it''s not just about match day but developing with us during the week with potentially higher class players and coaches.[/quote] The players are loaned out at the level the coaches think they need to be playing, and at the level an appropriate club will accept them. If being loaned out away from these supposed higher class coaches was so bad ,why do so many top clubs do it ? Do they something you don''t ? Did the inferior coaches at Coventry or MK Dons hinder the development of the two Murphys ?

Without a time machine or crystal ball you can''t tell how the players would develop in different conditions!

Kane is one player not developing well on loan, yet at his parent club flourished. Like I say what my opinion is and yours differ, what the club do is out of our control, so it''s just a debate!

Thought Maddison was actually not particularly good when he came on for the last 20 against QPR.

Well maybe let''s base our judgement on Maddison when we''ve seen him for a few more than 20 minutes 😅😅😅

Funny but Naismith has had games where he''s looked out of his depth, and not particularly good, yet gets a run of three or four games!

My thought being one goal in three bit part games, could a full run give him confidence to perform better?