Sign in to follow this  
Diane

Letter from Sheffield Wed Chairman to their fans

Dejphon Chansiri letter to fans

Published 19:57 18th May 2017

"I woke up this morning with the same heavy heart as you all. To lose such a game on penalties is indescribable unless you have experienced that feeling. Well, now we all have and it hurts probably like nothing else in the football world.

But this is the sport we are in, where the margins are so fine. It is a cruel way to lose a play-off of this magnitude but I offer my congratulations to Huddersfield Town and wish them every success in the final.

As your chairman I lead from the top and I am sorry for you, our incredible supporters, that we could not continue the journey this season to the destination we all yearn to be. But be assured that events such as last night make me all the more determined to return our lovely club to the top table of English football.

There is a saying in life that to truly appreciate the highs, you must feel the lows, and right now I completely understand that, like me, you are crestfallen. But that is because we care. The Sheffield Wednesday family is unique and when we are down, we help each other up. And that is what we will do.

Immediately after the game last night, I had many people approach me to just shake my hand and say thank you for the progress our club has made. But the privilege is mine and I say thank you in return for the amazing way in which you have embraced myself, my family and my friends into your club and your culture and above all, for the way you have backed the team all season once more.

When the wounds have healed we must use the scars to regroup, move on and take positive strides forward. Some things in football are never certain but one thing I can guarantee is that I will continue to do everything possible and in my power to help us all succeed. We will analyse every area of the business and improve it to ensure we are prepared for the next challenge ahead.

I also wish to thank everyone involved at our club from top to bottom for their diligent and tireless day to day work on and off the pitch. My message to you all is the same – together we will be back because football is now in my blood and Sheffield Wednesday is in my heart"

What a caring heartfelt letter, as a friend of mine said on twitter, its not all about money, you have to love football & your club to get it and he gets it.

[quote user="king canary"]But...but...but...foreign takeovers are bad and evil and will inevitably turn into Leyton Orient![/quote]You omitted the word all re foreign takeovers KC, according to most on here anyway.[;)]

And there was me thinking all foreign owners would get their clubs established in the PL.....

When was the last time one of Wednesday''s owners got them to the PL?

Seems like a genuine owner, but it''s all about simple communicating and people being open and honest about their feelings.   We can all understand that - and as Seb''s letter on his leaving us showed, it is appreciated when people make the effort to show what things mean to them.

What a crass comment about foreign owners establishing Wednesday in the Prem? Remind us again, NN how many Premier clubs have English owners?

Also, what nationality are the owners of Leicester? The club that has cause the biggest upset in English football history?

With most things in life, foreign ownership is not a clear cut good/bad relationship - some are good, some are bad.

I will say though that the bad do outnumber the good quite a lot though - but that could be down to the fact that bad owners tend to come and good, while the good ones stick around.

Olympiakos bought out Forest. Saying the same thing as all the others about pushing for establishment in the Prem.

We''re well placed anyway, as after brexit all the johnny foreigners will up stakes and take their money with them, leaving their clubs in turmoil, whereas we''ll be there, financially sound and in a good place, ready to take advantage. [:O]

Chansiri seems competent to me. Hired Glenn Roeder in an advisory role and then sacked him a few months later.Wednesday have been one of the most consistent teams in the the league over the last 2 years.

It''s no more a crass comment then the one preceding it which I was replying to. Nobody really thinks all foreign owners are bad and nobody really thinks all foreign owners would get their clubs established in the PL.

Oh and trading leicesters with portmouths is as ridiculous now as it ever was. The truth is that only 17 clubs will still be in the PL at the end of each season and only maybe 7 of them are established the remainder race for survival including Leicester this season.

Wish I hadn''t of posted it now, just thought it was a nice touch from their chairman, didn''t even cross my mind that it was from a foreign owner which would start an argument about foreign owners. As Lakey said bit like Seb''s letter, neither of them had to bother, but they did.

Lol Diane.

Every post about something either good or bad about another club is immediately picked up as a stick. Usually the first reply ☺

Nice touch by a chairman who wants to communicate his clubs supporters.

Notice he never mentioned his manager, and the fact that he might be at Carrow Road next season ;-)

Diane wrote "Wish I hadn''t of posted it now, just thought it was a nice touch from their chairman, didn''t even cross my mind that it was from a foreign owner which would start an argument about foreign owners. As Lakey said bit like Seb''s letter, neither of them had to bother, but they did."

Diane, I for one am glad that you did post it - it shows that some people do care. He readily identified with what those Wednesday fans were going through and had the social conscience to write and let them know how he also felt their pain. At least SW fans know that they have a Chairman who really cares.

Thanks for posting it

Taken at face value, it is a nice touch, but there''s a bit of a cynic in me that wonders if this is as much to deflect criticism - after all they have invested a lot in players and come up short again. It certainly says all the right things that supporters love, so as an act of communication it is doing a great job.

It''ll be interesting to see if they do shift the manager on, Pardew is waiting in the wings for one of these jobs....

Yes, nice heartfelt letter and seems genuine, but, his much have weds spent in the last couple of seasons? 22.5m net according to here (though may not include Jan as our net spend of -4.1m for this season doesn''t include wildschut): http://www.transferleague.co.uk/sheffield-wednesday/english-football-teams/sheffield-wednesday-transfers plus signing on and wages for Steven fletcher (which won''t be cheap) and 3 premiership loans, again not likely to be cheap... Will be interested to see how they fair in the next round of ffp calculations...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Oh and trading leicesters with portmouths is as ridiculous now as it ever was. The truth is that only 17 clubs will still be in the PL at the end of each season and only maybe 7 of them are established the remainder race for survival including Leicester this season.[/quote]

Exactly right.  How to move into that select group of 7 or so is the problem.  Man City have shown you can do it if you have basically unlimited amounts of money to spend.  Otherwise no one has managed to break into that group yet, everyone else in the Prem is realistically at risk of relegation and their main priority at the start of the season is to survive (Everton could easily slip down into that group with a bad season or two).  Leicester have shown it''s even possible to win the title ,yet be back in that same position the following season.

The fans should throw it back in his face. Trying to excuse failure and make mediocrity somehow heroic.

PR stunt, no more, no less and taking the fans for idiots

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="king canary"]But...but...but...foreign takeovers are bad and evil and will inevitably turn into Leyton Orient![/quote]You omitted the word all re foreign takeovers KC, according to most on here anyway.[;)][/quote]

Most people on here have been brainwashed by Wynnie who categorically stated at the last AGM that the following nationalities cannot be trusted to own a British football club:

(in no particular order)

1. Chinese

2. Indians

3. Russians

4. Americans

5. Italians

6. Arabs

and when Aliko Dangote buys Arsenal:

7. Africans

Couldn''t agree more ''''Holt, who goes there'''' love the fact that our owners care , attend virtually all the home & away games and are happy to chat to and mix with fans.

We''re very lucky.

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="king canary"]But...but...but...foreign takeovers are bad and evil and will inevitably turn into Leyton Orient![/quote]You omitted the word all re foreign takeovers KC, according to most on here anyway.[;)][/quote]

Most people on here have been brainwashed by Wynnie who categorically stated at the last AGM that the following nationalities cannot be trusted to own a British football club:

(in no particular order)

1. Chinese

2. Indians

3. Russians

4. Americans

5. Italians

6. Arabs

and when Aliko Dangote buys Arsenal:

7. Africans[/quote]What about the Welsh?

"The Owners of Blackburn Rovers wish to place on record their appreciation for the work of manager Tony Mowbray since his arrival at the club, during which time both the performances of the team and results have improved significantly. Going forward he will continue to have our full support.

"Despite the courageous performance by the players and the victory at Brentford yesterday, results elsewhere led to the relegation of the club from the Championship. This is indeed a very sad situation and we are deeply hurt by these events. We share the same feelings as our supporters.

"Notwithstanding this temporary setback, we are confident that the collective efforts of the team, under Tony’s leadership, will enable the club to achieve promotion back to the Championship next season.

"The Owners and everyone at the club recognise and appreciate the solid backing of the supporters and thank them for this. We believe that such strong support will set us in good stead for the season ahead.

"We have all witnessed the events of recent years, where teams have been relegated but have turned their clubs around and emerged stronger, and we are determined to see Blackburn Rovers do the same."

"Work has already begun to make this happen and we will be making every effort during the forthcoming season to give ourselves the best chance to achieve this goal."

Fine words from Blackburn Rovers owners - it matters not a jot what is said. It is all about what is done - so fingers crossed for the new Head Coach.