Sign in to follow this  
Hackney Canary

Psst... new coach info

I have fairly reliable intelligence that the new coach has been identified, that contact has been made, that a deal has been struck and that, barring any unforeseen difficulties, the individual in question will be coming to Carrow Road. That individual is currently employed by another club, but that club is not in the U.K.

I can say no more, because I know no more.

I think all but the last sentence is already assumed. The real question is when will he be seen at Dunston Hall ?

[quote user="Hackney Canary"]Okay. I didn''t realise this was such common knowledge. Why are people still blathering on about Wagner, Rosler and Monk?[/quote]Because none of us know if it is one of those three. Or someone else. All you did was to confirm what we already knew but added that the coach was not from the UK. If I told you that we had identified a player we wanted to sign, we had spoken to him and provisionally agreed terms, would that really be news ? No.

I heard a similar rumour but slightly different. The new head coach had played in Germany won a European trophy managed a number of clubs in England is still in a job which he is about to leave

Haven''t been told his name yet

[quote user="They call me the Chihauhau"]I heard a similar rumour but slightly different. The new head coach had played in Germany won a European trophy managed a number of clubs in England is still in a job which he is about to leave

Haven''t been told his name yet[/quote]

Sounds like someone was suggesting Paul Lambert to you.

For some reason I think the OP could be right, i''m starting to think it will be Jens Keller.

There was a gentleman on Twitter who said he spoke to Ed Balls at a book signing yesterday.

Apparently they have all but appointed and are now just sorting all the final contract details out with the manager''s club.

To me this definitely rules out Wagner. It could still be Jens Keller who despite not having finished the season his Union Berlin team can''t get promoted as they sit 6 points off the play off position with one game to go.

I still suspect Rosler though, as the much publicised talks he was having with Fleetwood haven''t apparently resulted in him committing to the club for another season.

This is building up into a frenzied crescendo.

I''m sure the club are just teasing us fans now. Still I suppose if a new man is in place before the transfer window opens that''s good enough.

Somebody from left field is getting more likely now.

I just hope that whoever it is is able to poach a couple of decent defenders from his former club.

It''s not Jeremy Corbyn is it he''ll be out of a job come June 9th

Is beginning to look as if it will be Rosler who was probably Webber''s first choice right from the start, especially if Rosler had been targetted for Huddersfield if Wagner had gone to Wolfsberg.Monk will be signing a new contract with Leeds, tittle tattle associating him with us "encouraging" Leeds to get a move on and tie him down, just as the same tittle tattle linking Lambert with Burnley when he was here got us moving regarding him and his contract.Wagner never going to happen, Webber said he wasn''t, and wouldn''t, be approached (yet even the media thought this meant he would and he has!), if, as has been widely claimed, we are close to appointing someone and have had two interviews then, clearly, that ruled him out anyway-yet Archant and others couldn''t help but suggest it still might be him.Keller is the other possibility but second choice I would guess.The Lambert claims, speculation and debate is a waste of everyones time as we wouldn;t consider him and, bearing in mind he wants total control of all matters & considers himself a football manager (hence letting Cully do much of the training whilst he overlooked just about everything else), he wouldn''t come here as a coach either.

"It''s not Jeremy Corbyn is it he''ll be out of a job come June 9th."

A bit too left field, besides he''d want too big a budget in the transfer market. Spend, spend, spend and all that.

Come to think of it.

[quote user="daly"]It''s not Jeremy Corbyn is it he''ll be out of a job come June 9th[/quote]He''ll still be an MP, that''s a job (sort of).

If my info above is correct - and that our man is working outside the UK - who are the candidates?

Keller

Labbadia

Anyone else?

Does anyone know anything about either of them. Like are they any good?

Bruno Labbadia was most recently manager of Hamburger SV in Germany and he has also been in charge of SV Darmstadt 98, SpVgg Greuther Furth, Bayer Leverkusen and Stuttgart.

He was linked with us 2 months ago.

As for either German coaches it''s a case of who knows if they will be any good in this division or above.

Maybe a case to appoint the devil you know or it''s another gamble.

I believe Labbadia is about to take on a role at Fenerbache as a technical director.

He was linked to a lot of jobs in the recent past and I think his name is just one of the many thrown around by ''sources'' online.

I highly doubt it will be him (especially as he is out of work and the moment and that seem contrary to everything else that has been said so far).

I know nothing about Keller, beyond his name, but Union Berlin sound like a right laugh. This is from Wikipedia:

Club culture[edit]

Main article: Culture in Berlin

1. FC Union Berlin is recognized as one of Europe''s cult clubs, based on many unique fan and club initiatives over the last two decades.[16][17][18]

The nicknames of the club are Eiserne (The Iron Ones) or Eisern Union (Iron Union), both of which are used to refer to the club from Berlin. Their nicknames evolved from the earlier sobriquet Schlosserjungs (metalworker boys), which was in reference to the blue kit the Union played in, as it was reminiscent of the overalls worn by local workers.[19]

In former GDR times Union was known for a rivalry with Dynamo Berlin who was affiliated with East Germany''s Secret Service Stasi. Union was patronized by Eastern German Trade Union FDGB. The club played some identificatory role in the unofficial opposition against the authorities of the communist system.[20]

In May 2004, the supporters raised enough money to secure the club''s license for fourth-division football through a campaign called ''Bleed for Union''.[21] This catchphrase was not meant metaphorically. One element of the campaign was that fans donated blood to Berlin hospitals and then gave the money they received from the blood bank to their club.

After 2010 Union Berlin became increasingly attractive for new Berliners, even internationals, who were drawn to the atmosphere at the club.[22]

Songs[edit]

The official Union Berlin song is "Eisern Union" by the famous German punk-star Nina Hagen.[23] The composition was recorded in 1998. Four versions were issued on a CD single by G.I.B Music and Distribution GmbH.

The famous supporters chant ''Eisern Union'' (Iron Union) bounces back and forth between the terraces named Waldseite and the Gegengerade and is followed by mutual acknowledging applause.[24]

Christmas tradition[edit]

Union Berlin is also well known for its Christmas traditions celebrated in their home stadium.[25] In 2003 the yearly Union Weihnachtssingen started as an unofficial gathering to which just 89 fans showed up. In 2013, 27,500 people attended, including players and supporters of other teams from around Germany and Europe. Fans drink Glühwein (mulled wine), wave candles around, light flares and sing a combination of Christmas carols and football chants.[26]

Mascot[edit]

Ritter Keule (Literally: Cudgel the Knight) is the mascot of Union Berlin.[27] He was first introduced in 2000.[28]

Movies and games[edit]

Union fürs Leben (Union for life) is a 2014 documentary film that showcases the supporters passion for 1. FC Union Berlin.[29] Union Berlin is also part of the popular FIFA 16, an association football simulation video game.[30]

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]I''d rather appoint someone that already knows the division[/quote]Out of the managers who have acheived or will acheive promotion this year only one has any experience of the division, the other two are newcommers.I think the season before all 3 had experience of the division.The year before that it was one.

Love the Christmas and Songs sections - beats the dull old "We''re the Barclay v we''re the Snakepit" songs...

As someone else has said, SkyBet have suspended betting on Keller.

I still have a preference for Jokanovic but to be honest this is the most encouraging set of rumoured links I have seen for years.

I am happy to wait until next week for the announcement - will be the first step to a good summer.