Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

The Dortmund connection

It''s been with us since the Lambert era. I''ve been impressed whenever I''ve seen Dortmund play over the last few years, having started to have an interest in them when Lambert was appointed and how he often sung their praises, with their refreshing and hard working ethos.  Had another look this morning on wiki and a little surprised at quite how big they are as a club.  "Dortmund''s stadium is the largest in Germany and Dortmund has the highest

average attendance of any association football club in the world. According to Deloitte''s annual Football Money League, Dortmund is the second biggest sports club in Germany and the 11th biggest football team in the world."
The connection is likely to be stronger of reports are correct, what a connection!

Farke was at Dortmund for 20 months - I don''t think his appointment will create some massive ''connection''.

Wagner was at Dortmund 4 years and Huddersfield wouldn''t claim to have some great connection with them either - they haven''t brought in any Dortmund players to date certainly.

Along with Webber it''ll be some good first hand knowledge of the German transfer market, something that has clearly helped improve Huddersfield.Exciting times.

Stayed in Dortmund years ago as a student with a young couple who were friends of my sister.

We played indoor five a side on a few occasions and boy was it serious (and tough.) They nicknamed me Nobby after Nobby Styles as for some reason he was the one player they singled out from our World Cup winning side.

Perhaps this illustrates something, although I don''t know exactly what when in comparison to Moore, Peters and Hurst.

Extremely friendly and welcoming guys and I''ll always remember that ... along with the revolving tower with a restaurant and, of course, Dortmunder Bier.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Farke was at Dortmund for 20 months - I don''t think his appointment will create some massive ''connection''.

Wagner was at Dortmund 4 years and Huddersfield wouldn''t claim to have some great connection with them either - they haven''t brought in any Dortmund players to date certainly.[/quote]

I didn''t say it was massive, but it is a connection, nevertheless.  Our connection - or call it awareness  if you like - with Dortmund, will already have been there with Lambert having been there - and then returning for a bit of career development after he left Villa.  Also now Webber is with us, that strengthens the connection as he had dealings with them over Wagner. That awareness, or connection, will have put us on the radar with them as to what type of club we are.  It may be a small connection in the scheme of things, but it is there nevertheless.   Imagine if  one of our players went off and was really successful as a coach somewhere and then ten years later that club came in for our under 23 coach.  That club would forever be connected with us.  We don''t live in a vacuum - connections are important.

[quote user="Move Klose"]Your suprised how big Dortmund are.... Do you even watch football.[/quote]Yes, of course I do which is why I said I''d been impressed with them when I have seen them.  I simply wasn''t aware of the actual size of the club in real terms.

I''m not convinced this "thought" is entirely deserving of its own thread, Lakey.

now this is embarrassing

"my mates mate is a mate of that guy who did that thing really well that time"

If ever there were a post worthy of it''s own thread.

It''s not this one.

Perhaps DAB will end up on our shirts?

Now that would be a REAL and welcome connection.

"A point a that there DAB plays missy.

Wot aight Yeuroos?

Wos gorn on?

Noyse thow."

BroadstairsR said

"Stayed in Dortmund years ago as a student with a young couple who were friends of my sister.

We played indoor five a side on a few occasions and boy was it serious (and tough.) They nicknamed me Nobby after Nobby Styles as for some reason he was the one player they singled out from our World Cup winning side.

"

That''s a coincidence, Broadstairs. There was a fella that used to post on here and he called you Nobby, too.

Mind you, he called everyone Nobby.

Don''t quite follow RtB. Is there some crude innuendo in that statement?

I''ve always actually wanted to be called Norbert after that experience. Really!

Herbert, Albert and Norbert three under-rated names.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Farke is a similar height, has similar hair and is also German. Could Farke be our Klopp?[/quote]

I know you''re trying to be funny, but Farke looks like Klopp about as much as Myleen Klass looks like Miss Piggy.

Daniel Farke verlässt Borussia Dortmund II und schließt sich Norwich City an.