Diane

Betting to win the league next season

Villa 7/1

Fulham 7/1

Norwich 8/1

Derby & Middlesborough 10/1

Barnsley 100/1, Bolton 100/1, Burton 150/1 favourites to go down

Rest are here if someone can make it clicky

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/e/11077940/English+Championship+2017+18+-+Outright.html

What do we think to those odds, anyone agree with their top two ?

I do think villa will be there or there abouts, been quietly going about their business, and building under Bruce.

8-1 on us is being kind I think, hard to say before the close seasons wheeling and dealing has taken place.

Duncan are you surprised that Sunderland are 14/1, thought they''d be shorter odds than that?

Not really Diane.

Defoe and the keeper aside they''re poor. When we beat them at theirs last season I thought they were the worst Prem side if seen. They recovered and scraped through for the umpteenth time but they have been doing that for too long; as with Wigan that plug hole will suck you in eventually.

Much will depend on the summer spending but I''d say that''s relatively realistic - though whether they should be longer odds than us, Villa and Derby is debatable.

At this point you''ll struggle to find value and relegated Prem clubs certainly won''t represent it pre-season - Newcastle were something ridiculous like 7/4 pre season but drifted out to 7 or 8 to one once the season was underway.

Ipswich might be a decent bet to get relegated mind....are they becoming the Sunderland of the Championship?

Surprisingly short odds on us given we have no central defence to speak of currently. Should our summer business go well these odds might prove appropriate however at the moment mid-table seems more reasonable.

Duncan - Just checked on Ipswich''s odds 80/1 to get auto promotion and 3/1 to get relegated , don''t think they''ll do either myself so will stick my usual £2 on us

Wouldnt put a penny on City especially at 8/1 , clear to see we are offloading the better players while keeping the likes of Martin and Jerome, not really the clearout many had in mind . We look like a club getting ready for years of struggle at this level which is all we can expect untill the cause of our problems are removed , just pack up and go Delia and take your family and friends with you .

May be, just may be, the Championship is not as strong a league this coming season whereas it was forecast to get stronger by the year due to the increased input of money.

We''ll see, and we have one of Huddersfield or Reading to add to the reckoning.

Do the bookies know more than us, because from a fan''s point of view it is currently difficult to predict anything about City for next season?

On the other hand it was supposed to be a formality predicting top six lats season and that failed miserably, imo.

Obviously a bit early to tell but I''m not really worried about the three relegated clubs this season. Hull will have a new manager dealing with the same owner, Sunderland are apparently broke and I''d expect to see a fairly heave clear out and Middlesbrough also need a new manager.

Middlesbrough look best primed to bounce back though.

Okay I''ll bite xxxx, you state ''keeping the likes of Jerome'' as a negative thing, a player who is probably one of the few who can come out with decent credit. 7th top scorer in a side which has been poor at times. I''d rather keep him, not sure why you wouldn''t want to...

hard to predict at the moment, but expect Villa and Boro to be firmly in the mix, would hope that we wont be far off with the likes of Fulham and Derby and probably Reading if they can recover from losing the play offs as i fully expect they will !

[quote user="xxxx"]Wouldnt put a penny on City especially at 8/1 , clear to see we are offloading the better players while keeping the likes of Martin and Jerome, not really the clearout many had in mind . We look like a club getting ready for years of struggle at this level which is all we can expect untill the cause of our problems are removed , just pack up and go Delia and take your family and friends with you .[/quote]

Good one mate, get rid of a player who scored 16 league goals this season, averaging a goal every 180 minutes-that''s one every two games. Got any more bright ideas, or would you just like to feck off now?

impossible to call any odds now with managers still not appointed and transfer windows not open.lump it on in July.

xxxx (sounds like an Aussie lager) wrote "....We look like a club getting ready for years of struggle at this level which is all we can expect untill the cause of our problems are removed , just pack up and go Delia and take your family and friends with you."

Before I start - no we don''t!

As for your little rant about the owners - I''ve said it before and will say it again:

Imagine the abject horror of the "anti-owners brigade" once they realise that her replacement could well be a Marcus Evans clone, or maybe a Venky, or how about a Vincent Tan who wanted to change the club''s colours, or even an Assem Allam who wanted to change the club''s name?

Then of course there are those who would want to asset strip and those who would want to sell CR and lease it back - ala Coventry.

For pity''s sake, get off this broken record and think about the worst consequences, and then compare what we have to the best outcome. What would you consider "the best or most ideal outcome" if your bandwagon actually gained any traction?

How many clubs in the English game are you genuinely envious of and wish that we could emulate their success - I assume your ideal club would currently be successful.

Bear in mind, there are more foreign owners than British owners in the top 2 tiers (in fact I think only 4 clubs in the premiership are British owned). Why do you think that is? Simply money! Not a lifelong passion for any club that a supporter has, but simply money.

That is NOT what I want to see happen to the club I have supported for nigh on 6 decades.

Hope this helps to close the subject of Delia''s ownership! (If not, please "share your thoughts with the group" and suggest a viable alternative)

Now, as to the odds - 8/1 with the goal scoring attributes we have up front - that will do nicely thanks - especially with a new manager and a shored up defence!

[quote user="Greavsy"]I do think villa will be there or there abouts, been quietly going about their business, and building under Bruce.

8-1 on us is being kind I think, hard to say before the close seasons wheeling and dealing has taken place.[/quote]

Quietly?

Spent a fortune last year

Does spending equate to being noisy then?

What I meant was they haven''t made big public statements of their intentions etc, they''ve just got on with building a team, and in my view, one that looks very capable next year.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Surprisingly short odds on us given we have no central defence to speak of currently. Should our summer business go well these odds might prove appropriate however at the moment mid-table seems more reasonable.[/quote]

I agree.  I think those odds assume we appoint a solid choice as head coach and do good transfer business in the summer, neither of which are given by any means.  It''s frustrating to look back at those transfer windows under Alex Neil when it was obvious we needed one or more quality CBs to make the difference, but ended up signing more attacking midfielders.

Now that we have no LB and one CB, it couldn''t really be any clearer what we need, the downside being the need to do such a major overhaul of the defence when we have less money than in those previous seasons.

[quote user="Greavsy"]Does spending equate to being noisy then?

What I meant was they haven''t made big public statements of their intentions etc, they''ve just got on with building a team, and in my view, one that looks very capable next year.[/quote]

Lol, are you actually serious?

Firstly yes, spending a fortune equates to ''being nosiy''

Secondly, take a look at Dr Tony Xia''s tweets, these are just in the last two weeks.

We''re getting everything planned better including transfers. We''ll spend on whatever needed but also learn to avoid wasting.

Bottom line is that we won''t have panic buys or sells any more! #PlannedSystem

We only need strength in 2/3 positions, so it is nothing2worry about. Need change the culture ''getting xx'' but building consistency!#UTV

Even not bothered by FFP issues, we won''t burn money 2try getting success. We need build sustainable model &have2learn 2be smarter anyway.

I think the reason is DM considering us will be in PL.Thanks for the good wishes. 😜

That''s what I exactly meant. We always wanted great ones but never thought putting a team together is more important !

Not sure how more ''pubic'' these ''statements of intention'' can be, to be honest.

Fair comment CDM, although they cannot be that public, as whilst I don''t actively follow other clubs, they bypassed me.

However I''ll consider myself told, and respect your informed position.

Still think they are building a good team, and will be contenders next season.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]We have two CBs surely ICF? Klose and Martin? Or did I miss something?[/quote]

Tempted to reply with a LOL...

I''ve always thought Martin can do a decent job at CB, at Championship level.  It will be interesting to see how the new team view his role.

And for Klose, I can''t help feeling we''d be better off cashing in, if we can get a decent transfer fee, and reinvesting that + his wages in a couple of "young & hungry" Champs CBs.  Again, a lot will depend on the new management team - if he respects them and we have a decent coaching regime for the defence (i.e. unlike the last couple of years) then he could do well.  I''m not convinced he''s the right sort of player for the rough & tumble of the Championship.  But if we could get promoted, he''s definitely the sort of player we''d like to have in the Prem IMO.

Interesting times !

Do we have any youngsters close to making it through at the CB position ?  I''ve lost track.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Greavsy"]Does spending equate to being noisy then?

What I meant was they haven''t made big public statements of their intentions etc, they''ve just got on with building a team, and in my view, one that looks very capable next year.[/quote]

Lol, are you actually serious?

Firstly yes, spending a fortune equates to ''being nosiy''

Secondly, take a look at Dr Tony Xia''s tweets, these are just in the last two weeks.

We''re getting everything planned better including transfers. We''ll spend on whatever needed but also learn to avoid wasting.

Bottom line is that we won''t have panic buys or sells any more! #PlannedSystem

We only need strength in 2/3 positions, so it is nothing2worry about. Need change the culture ''getting xx'' but building consistency!#UTV

Even not bothered by FFP issues, we won''t burn money 2try getting success. We need build sustainable model &have2learn 2be smarter anyway.

I think the reason is DM considering us will be in PL.Thanks for the good wishes. 😜

That''s what I exactly meant. We always wanted great ones but never thought putting a team together is more important !

Not sure how more ''pubic'' these ''statements of intention'' can be, to be honest.[/quote]

''Pubic''?